Paper Navigators?

I really can’t understand the hate of the app vs paper navigators. I prefer the app you can look ahead at each day plan things out, it’s easy to navigate, they can add things, and make changes.
I don't think it is hate as much as it is convenience.
People, especially me, don't want to have to carry a phone around all the time while on vacation and like I said what if you forget to charge it and it goes dead half way through your day then your out of luck.
Like I said, if they offered either a few at guest services of print on demand I think that would work for most people like myself.

If you phone battery dies half way through the day because you forgot to charge it you are out of luck.
At least if they offered paper Navigators at guest services or if you ask to get one printed you do not have to rely on your phone all the time.
And, therefore, everyone should carry a horse in the trunk because, hey, what if your car runs out of fuel midway on a highway...

And, therefore, everyone should carry a horse in the trunk because, hey, what if your car runs out of fuel midway on a highway...
Yes everyone should have a horse in the trunk of their car.

I am not talking about printing a Navigator for every single room on the ship, apparently they have stopped doing this. On my last cruise in 2019 if you wanted one you either asked your room steward to get one for you or you could go to guest services and pick one up.
I really do not see what the big deal is either printing a few to have the front desk or printing one on demand.

Some people do not mind being tied to their phone 24 hours a day 7 says a week, that is apparent by the number of people who are to busy on their phone instead of driving their cars, while crashing into other cars.

I see families in restaurants, mom dad and the kids all on their phones. Two weeks ago my wife and I were at the California grill and watched a table of 4, two adults and two kids during the entire time none of then put their phone down. One of the kids was so busy on their phone they never ate their meal.

I have watched parents walk away from their young children because they were too engrosed on their phones to pay attention to where their own children were even at.

All I am saying is some people when they go on vacation do not want to be connected to a phone for getting basic information about what is going on on the ship, maybe I grew up in a different time.

Once again I do not see what the big deal about having a few paper Navigators available for guest who want to disconnect from their electronic devices.

I prefer phone with the ship's ability to make changes more easily. I'm sure during the transition period people with only paper felt disadvantaged regarding changes and maybe feeling like they needed do more to "keep up" with changes or miss entirely.

Personally, I am disconnected enough turning on airplane mode and not receiving notification updates. Going a step further, turning off all notifications, including off line, and making the DCL app the only exception. At that point I can use my phone for pictures, downloaded music, and note taking without actually being "connected." I understand others see it differently.

That said, I think that paper navigators should be available upon request, even if charged some nominal fee to be donated to some charity at the end of the year.

Yes everyone should have a horse in the trunk of their car.

I am not talking about printing a Navigator for every single room on the ship, apparently they have stopped doing this. On my last cruise in 2019 if you wanted one you either asked your room steward to get one for you or you could go to guest services and pick one up.
I really do not see what the big deal is either printing a few to have the front desk or printing one on demand.

Some people do not mind being tied to their phone 24 hours a day 7 says a week, that is apparent by the number of people who are to busy on their phone instead of driving their cars, while crashing into other cars.

I see families in restaurants, mom dad and the kids all on their phones. Two weeks ago my wife and I were at the California grill and watched a table of 4, two adults and two kids during the entire time none of then put their phone down. One of the kids was so busy on their phone they never ate their meal.

I have watched parents walk away from their young children because they were too engrosed on their phones to pay attention to where their own children were even at.

All I am saying is some people when they go on vacation do not want to be connected to a phone for getting basic information about what is going on on the ship, maybe I grew up in a different time.

Once again I do not see what the big deal about having a few paper Navigators available for guest who want to disconnect from their electronic devices.
You are wondering what the big deal is if you want to do things onboard your way. Yet, 2/3rd of your post is written judging others over how they are doing things on their own phones.

If you read post #18 that you responded to, you will see it clearly suggests asking the front desk for printouts. If they don't have it, ask to see a supervisor and explain your issue.

If you read post #18 that you responded to, you will see it clearly suggests asking the front desk for printouts. If they don't have it, ask to see a supervisor and explain your issue.
There's no point asking the front desk. They don't have printouts, they won't get printouts, and if you ask them why, they'll give you some ridiculous answer about the environment. Better to ask your room host because then you at least have a chance to get crew printouts.

There's no point asking the front desk. They don't have printouts, they won't get printouts, and if you ask them why, they'll give you some ridiculous answer about the environment. Better to ask your room host because then you at least have a chance to get crew printouts.
If the room host can help, by all means, reach out.

If the front desk is hearing "I want to unplug" or "you took away my souvenir", I'm sure the poker face will be out. But If you have a real issue - can't use a phone, can't read the screen, old phone where app doesn't work - and if the desk doesn't help, ask to see the supervisor. The supervisor can get you whatever the crew can and probably more.

Last edited:
Personally as a disabled passenger with vision issues, I struggle with the app at the best of times. I have to carry around a large ipad just to be able to read some of the text (can't read the locations so then have to ask people where activities are). I still request large print navigators but never get them or any alternative. Guest Services just say they have no ability to print anything at all. I get wanting to reduce your carbon footprint etc but what I don't get is not allowing an alternative for those of us that struggle with screens. Screen readers do not work properly with the app because they've made a specific app for their liner and it therefore isn't compatible. Its frustrating and I comment on it on every single trip but nothing ever changes. At least on the other lines I've sailed on their apps do have accessibility modes built in. Having to take a photo of the app screen then having to zoom in on the photo to read it isn't exactly easy and yes there is a navigator function on the televisions in the stateroom but I don't want to have to keep going back to my stateroom to work out whats going on.

Does any cruise line still give paper schedules or have they all moved to an app?
Yes. We just got off a 10 day cruise on the NCL Joy. We had paper itineraries every day delivered to our cabin the night before - just like in the past. We also had actual menus at every meal and we ate in multiple restaurants. Honestly, it was the most "normal" vacation we've taken since the pandemic. No pre cruise uploading vaccine status, no testing, nothing. It was amazing!

Last edited:
Tethered to a phone, tethered to a paper sheet - don't see any difference there. But your MIL's case is a genuine issue. Whether that warrants maintaining an energy-intensive printer with reams of paper fed into it every night, is a good question. Maybe the front desk can print one on demand?
Maybe stop and realize some may have differing opinions.

Other lines I have cruised this year have offered printed daily menus, schedules and a one-page (front and back) international news brief.
Our cruise next year on Seabourn it's been advised the app is the way to go from booking the 1 restaurant that has booking (but does not cost extra) to booking excursions or spa activities to daily activities in the schedule (this part only shows up when you're on the ship). The app has only been around for 1 year so it's newer and while there's some pushback I'm seeing on FB pages, people on this Board are complaining way more about DCL. And no one needs to bring up cost because Seabourn is above Disney in categories of types of ships. And the age on Seabourn is far and above much older than DCL.

As far as I know people can go to Seabourn Square (the main hub of the ship) and get physical copies and I believe they can ask the cabin host as well.

The hotel we're staying at in Mexico next year is a Riu brand. Riu also has an app that shows the menus, activities and you can also book your hotel stay through it.

I get it people are annoyed and while I think there are cost cutting measures out there I also think some of it is just moving with the times.

As far as people not wanting to be tethered to their phones the vast majority of people have their phones on their person. Using your phone maybe you don't want that, that's similar to complaining about MDE app for WDW, but you generally are still carrying your phone with you. Sure paper fits in your pocket but who is in this day and age relying on pulling the paper out to view the activities of the day while they are in the pool, walking around the ship, etc? Likely very few although from the sounds of it this thread has an anomaly of people doing so. I view moving to an app just getting with the needs and desires of modernity. I do think it should be an option to have paper schedules but don't see it as you need to have it for all passengers this day and age for every day as an automatic thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter