PANDORA OPEN NOW. TO EVERYONE!

They are not two minute ride. FOP runs about 5 minutes and NRJ runs about 4 minutes. By comparison, FJ runs about 4 and EFG runs about 5. It's more about the quality of the ride than the length.
Forbidden Journey is actually listed at six minutes per Touring Plans but it's true that they are almost all short.

Forbidden Journey is actually listed at six minutes per Touring Plans but it's true that they are almost all short.

Your number could be right. I pulled my number from Wikipedia which had it 4:06 which also has RSR at 4:22. I don't think anyone would call that ride too short. Theme parks are not making 10 minute rides anymore. It's just not happening.

I was at AK this morning.

If you are thinking about going, DO NOT GO. There is a line that stretches from the entrance to Pandora, to outside of the park gates. At 8:00, FOP was over 3 hours and NRJ was 2. There is also a HUGE line to get in the gift shop.

I did use my FP for FOP. It is incredibly themed, and I loved the ride.

I can understand the boat ride length complaints but I don't think I've seen anyone complain that flight of Passage is too short. It's roughly five minutes and it's a simulator. Star Tours and Soarin aren't really longer than that. Disney is not trying to be universal. Many feel Disney did very good with the screens and physical sets on the boat ride. I'd also say don't knock until you try it.

I have tried it.

Flight of Passage felt short to me and it wasn’t the most comfortable ride. Much like most of Universal’s rides it was constrictive and vomit inducing. It definitely isn’t a ride for the whole family. The best thing about the whole ride was the line with the floating Avatar.

As for the River Journey, it was finished in 2017 and is about 3 minutes long. It seems to have no story whatsoever. Journey is just a gentle cruise through a dark jungle. You’d expect to come across some different animatronic creatures, but nope. Most of the ride consists of screens and fake plants. It feels more like Living with the Land then a true E-ticket attraction. Plus worse of all it only has 1 animatronic in the whole ride. It’s amazing, but 1 just the same.

As a comparison

On the opposite side of the spectrum. Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland is a true classic adventure worth the wait. It was finished in 1967 and is a whooping 15 ½ minutes long. The ride tells a story of the lives of various downtrodden dirty pirates and their drunkenness. The ride has an amazing 122 animatronics, 68 humans and 54 animals. It is a ride you want to go on over and over again. Their are so many things going on that you notice something different every time.

Last edited:

I have tried it.

Flight of Passage felt short to me and it wasn’t the most comfortable ride. Much like most of Universal’s rides it was constrictive and vomit inducing. It definitely isn’t a ride for the whole family. The best thing about the whole ride was the line with the floating Avatar.

As for the River Journey, it was finished in 2017 and is about 3 minutes long. It seems to have no story whatsoever. Journey is just a gentle cruise through a dark jungle. You’d expect to come across some different animatronic creatures, but nope. Most of the ride consists of screens and fake plants. It feels more like Living with the Land then a true E-ticket attraction. Plus worse of all it only has 1 animatronic in the whole ride. It’s amazing, but 1 just the same.

As a comparison

On the opposite side of the spectrum. Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland is a true classic adventure worth the wait. It was finished in 1967 and is a whooping 15 ½ minutes long. The ride tells a story of the lives of various downtrodden dirty pirates and their drunkenness. The ride has an amazing 122 animatronics, 68 animals and 54 animals. It is a ride you want to go on over and over again. Their are so many things going on that you notice something different every time.
To each their own but I think Pandora is Disney at their best.

Am I the only one that never expected Na'vi River Journey to have a "story?" I expected great scenery and that appears to be what was delivered.

I'm alright with it not having a full story, but it could have more memorable scenes. The only thing people remember is the Shaman. There at least should have been some animatronic creatures along the river grazing.

Last edited:
I'm alright with it not having a full story, but it could have more memorable scenes. The only thing people remember is the Shaman. There at least should have been some animatronic creatures along the river grazing.

The thing I liked about it was the use of layered screens like Walts multi plane cameras.....they looked 3d with out glasses. The Shaman animatronic was incredible and you get a reasonably long time to watch it. Not just a passing glimpse.

How is the crowd level?
We hit this too--(the soft on friday) -- by accident-- the crowd level was relatively low like no one knew it was going to happen and everyone was waiting for saturday.

We also waited 85 minutes for flight and not sure for river. The que for flight was a textbook Joe que-- start on paths at the base of the mountains, wind your way into the mountains (with amazing views at every turn).. into caves, into the abandoned military building,-- into the new research center, around some great exhibits, ---- just building as you go---- and the attraction is the most amazing theme park ride we have ever been on.

We forgot that we were in AK..... The level of detail is hard t believe.

Went back this afternoon for a FP on flight--- probably tomorrow night for the night experience. My kids went last night. said that it was really good but it was overwhelming with the crowd levels. people were not well behaved.

There have been what I believe to be security helicopters circling the entire WDW constantly ever since we got here-- right now we are at BWV. Non stop helicopters. sometimes side by side, sometimes following by a mile or so.

I heard somewhere that the line to get into Pandora on opening day was 2 hours and it was another 4 hours to get on a ride.

If true, are people crazy? What is the line for Star Wars Land going to be? It has a fanbase that will camp out in front of a movie theater to watch a rerelease of a 40 year old movie. Grown up men and women are going to show up with lightsabers in hand.

It's going to be so crazy, I'm going to avoid it for a few months.

I heard somewhere that the line to get into Pandora on opening day was 2 hours and it was another 4 hours to get on a ride.

If true, are people crazy? What is the line for Star Wars Land going to be? It has a fanbase that will camp out in front of a movie theater to watch a rerelease of a 40 year old movie. Grown up men and women are going to show up with lightsabers in hand.
That was true. The land was at phase 3 closure.

Star Wars is likely going to be way bigger. Remember opening day of potter?

Oh, my God yeah. The line is going to extend deep pass the lake/river into the parking lot.

I love Star Wars, but I can't handle the seas of heads. Plus not everyone wears deodorant. P.U. I'm probably going to visit the other parks for about 6-12 months and wait until it dies down.

I haven't been following Pandora that closely because I didn't think I was going to be there for a couple years, but I just booked a quick trip 8/15-8/18 this weekend. How are the fastpasses tiered for AK now? I tried looking this morning but FOP said they didn't have any available. I couldn't tell if that meant they were all gone already, or if they just weren't being offered.

I haven't been following Pandora that closely because I didn't think I was going to be there for a couple years, but I just booked a quick trip 8/15-8/18 this weekend. How are the fastpasses tiered for AK now? I tried looking this morning but FOP said they didn't have any available. I couldn't tell if that meant they were all gone already, or if they just weren't being offered.
You can choose one of the two rides in Pandora and then 2 other experiences throughout the park. Both the River Journey and the Banshee ride have FP+ available but it appears as though the Banshee ride goes quickly.

One small question. If little Timmy is dragged into the jungle by an alien creature. Do we go into retrieve him or do we flag down a cast member? I may have an early Everest fastpass I need to get to before lunch.

It looks beautiful at night with all the bio...whatever. I can't wait to check it out when I head down there next year.

Harry Potter was insane. I remember the overhead shots of those lines. :scared:

Star Wars will likely be at least as bad if not much worse. I personally won't go near the place for a while.

Went over to eat a couple o days ago. Thunder storm rolled in, people would not get out of ride lines. Lines for the gift shop were long. Most popular item seemed to be the banshee. Saw one guy buy 5 at $50 each. Table set up inside and they could not keep it stocked. Was like a feeding frenzy for sharks. Going back tomorrow for fast pass at Flight of Passage. Wife loved that ride.

Sad news to report, all of the cheap looking shoulder banshees are sold out in Windtraders. So if anybody wants to get one they'll have to wait. It is going to take a few weeks for Disney to get more from Fisher Price or whoever is making them.

Until then you can always get a "How to Train your Dragon" figure or a Dinosaur and pretend you have one.

Sad news to report, all of the cheap looking shoulder banshees are sold out in Windtraders. So if anybody wants to get one they'll have to wait. It is going to take a few weeks for Disney to get more from Fisher Price or whoever is making them.

Until then you can always get a "How to Train your Dragon" figure or a Dinosaur and pretend you have one.
Only WDWNT is reporting this at this time. I bought my "cheap" banshee on Wednesday. They had plenty and were restocking while I was there. I really like it and don't find it cheap. If they were cheap they wouldn't be flying off the shelves like they are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter