• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Painting ceilings?

What do you do with a ceiling?

• paint it white

• Paint it the color of the room

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

funkychunkymonkey

DIS Veteran
So I'm arguing with a friend about ceilings. She thinks the ceiling in my new room should be white, I think it should be the same color as the walls (light tan). this is a 10 by 10 room. What do you think?

I would think it would be preference.

I didn't paint my stark white. I used antique white.

10X10 is small, not sure if having it tan would make it feel smaller or not. ??

I'd probably do what I liked. Good luck!

a few years ago; the last time we painted-the sherwin williams rep told me that white ceilings were out-so since then we have painted the ceilings the same color as walls.

I like it.

That's a small room. I think white would open it up a bit and make it feel a little bigger.

Let me start by saying that I've always had white ceilings. I'm a chicken when it comes to putting color on ceilings. However, I watch a lot (and I mean A LOT) of decorating shows on HGTV and I've seen many, what I thought were odd, color combinations for walls and ceilings. Surprisingly, they've always looked really nice when the room is finished. I've also seen them paint the ceiling the same color as the walls, but one or two shades lighter. This might be an option if you want something besides white but are concerned about the room looking smaller.

I'll end by saying that ceilings are a bear to paint, in my opinion. I suppose if you are experienced at painting it might not be so bad. I repainted the entire interior of my house a couple of years ago and I wanted to cry, or curse, every time I painted a ceiling.

Debbie

Our ceilings have really stiff texture -- way to hard to paint. I wouldn't bother with the ceiling. Imagine having to primer and paint it again later on when you change color. What a pain!

I voted other. Like a PP, I'd go w/ an antique white or eggshell color. In such a small room, using the same color as the wall will make the room feel smaller.

After getting tired of trying to paint the lines I have given up and begun to paint the ceilings the wall color. I can't imagine why I didn't do it sooner. I love it. I have done it in my butter yellow kitching/laundry. My soft green bedroom and plan to do it in my bathroom that is long and narrow. The trim in this room is all white as well as the shower tile and tub so the white ceiling seems like overkill.

Personally I think a bedroom is a good place to try it out. You can always paint it back, if you wish. ;)

I'll end by saying that ceilings are a bear to paint, in my opinion. I suppose if you are experienced at painting it might not be so bad. I repainted the entire interior of my house a couple of years ago and I wanted to cry, or curse, every time I painted a ceiling.

Debbie

He he! Im not painting my room, my mom is (for a x mas gift). There low celings too only 8ft.

After getting tired of trying to paint the lines I have given up and begun to paint the ceilings the wall color. I can't imagine why I didn't do it sooner. I love it.
I didnt even think about lines. Ick. Bad enough we have to paint around the recessed lighting!

I don't like white ceilings. I always paint the ceilings a couple shades lighter than the walls. Then I use a small artists paint brush to touch up any "lines" where the ceiling and the wall meet, where my tape wasn't perfectly masked off. If the paint line's not perfect, it drives me crazy. It's easy to touch it up perfectly with a tiny artist's brush. Yeah, I am just a little OCD. ;)

After getting tired of trying to paint the lines I have given up and begun to paint the ceilings the wall color. I can't imagine why I didn't do it sooner. I love it. I have done it in my butter yellow kitching/laundry. My soft green bedroom and plan to do it in my bathroom that is long and narrow. The trim in this room is all white as well as the shower tile and tub so the white ceiling seems like overkill.

Personally I think a bedroom is a good place to try it out. You can always paint it back, if you wish. ;)

We painted our whole house last summer (bought a foreclosure) and we started doing the white ceiling thing and then I said forget it, let's do it all the same color and I LOVE IT! When I go to redo those first 3 bedrooms, the ceiling will get painted the same color at the room. I get compliments all the time on how good and "even" it all looks. All my rooms are just a neutral color with all white trim and I do have crown molding in some of the rooms and would like to get that in all of them. It looks really good if I do say so myself :). Not to mention is makes the whole painting process soooooooo much easiser!

I'm with another poster...I hate white ceilings.

Once I choose a wall color for an individual room, I look at the color cards for the lightest shade in the series and that usually will be the ceiling color...I think it softens the light in the room very nicely.

Throughout my whole house (which has a very open floor plan), my ceilings are a creamy color with a slight hint of yellow...VERY slight. Gives off a nice warm color instead of stark white.

White ceiling, white trim. I don't think I've ever been in a room where the ceiling is the same color as the walls - too boxy.

I voted other because it shouldn't be the "same" color as the walls but paint it a lighter shade of your wall color-go 2 down on the paint strip. I LOVE the look of painted ceilings. They warm up a room so much. Now, if you have white trim or white accents in a room, white ceilings are fine but if you have warm tones in your rooms you should not have white ceilings.

I'd go with a few shades lighter than the walls.

I really dislike stark white ceilings. I paint ceilings either a lighter shade of the room color, or antique white. I'd probably go with antique white in yours unless it gets a lot of light.

White. It doesn't have to be a bright, hot white but it shouldn't be obviously tinted. It is the through-line for all the rooms, along with the maple floors. It is classic and clean and not at all trendy. I just use a great cut-in brush and clean up the mistakes with a smaller brush later. I love bold color choices but not on ceilings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter