Pain when ear tube comes out?

LoveBWVVBR

DIS Veteran
Did your child experience pain as their ear tubes fell out? My 2.5 y.o. DD has been complaining that her ear hurts since yesterday. I'm taking her in to her ped. this morning. She has had ear tubes for 1 year this Friday which is a pretty long time for one set of tubes. Her right ear tube is working it's way out (has been for a while), and that's the ear that seems to be bothering her. She has literally stopped sleeping more than 4 broken hours a night also and she's completely stopped napping. I really don't think that her ear is infected. There is no drainage, and her ped. said that there would be if there was an infection. I think that this has something to do with the tube coming out.

Also, what happens now? Does she get more tubes?

My son did not seem to be bothered when his tube came out. If the tube did come out and she is still having earaches, the doctor might recommend putting a new tube in.

She could also be developing an earache and it is just red and irriatated, but not draining fluid yet. One time I brought my son in thinking he had an infection, but he didn't at that time. The very next day I had to bring him in again and he had 2 full blown infections.

Good luck and I hope it turns out okay!

My youngest dd had three sets of tubes. When her tubes starting "working themselves out" she complained a LOT. She said she could feel it moving around in there. Lots of crying and discomfort until we had them taken out. (Twice they were able to just do that in the office.)

If her tube is out and she is complaining it could be an ear infection. I'm glad you are taking her in to see the doctor. Now that my dd is 5 things are MUCH better w/ her ears. No tubes and earplanes work wonders when we fly. Hope your little one is much better soon! :goodvibes

My youngest is on her 3rd set of tubes. She has had 2 come out on its own.....2 removed when new ones put in again. The first ones were the worst as she was draining (infection) and bloody from coming out....it was really bad. 2nd time it just was working its way out and ENT took it out ashe was compaining and rubbing the ear that was bothering her.....it was infected but not draining yet.

I'd have ped check for infection as it may not be bad yet. If infections continue dr may want to put tubes in again. Good luck!

My youngest dd had three sets of tubes. When her tubes starting "working themselves out" she complained a LOT. She said she could feel it moving around in there. Lots of crying and discomfort until we had them taken out. (Twice they were able to just do that in the office.)

If her tube is out and she is complaining it could be an ear infection. I'm glad you are taking her in to see the doctor. Now that my dd is 5 things are MUCH better w/ her ears. No tubes and earplanes work wonders when we fly. Hope your little one is much better soon! :goodvibes

Interesting! She didn't have an infection, but her ped. said that her left tube was working it's way out. I wonder if that is what is bothering her then? You wouldn't think that that would be enough to keep her up all night every night, though. UGH.

DD got tubes right before her first birthday. They lasted a little over a year and a half. The first tube fell out on its own with no obvious discomfort (I found it in her bed.) The second tube bothered her enough that I took her to the doctor thinking she had an infection. The doc was able to remove it in her office. She's almost 8 now and has not needed more tubes and has had only a couple infections over the years.

Our ENT said if we ever had a boy he would definitely need tubes. Our son is 5 1/2 and hasn't had tubes or many ear infections. Hopefully your daughter will be lucky and be done with tubes. Fingers crossed for you :)

Our DD has had tubes for nearly 3 years now - the ENT pulled one out as it was nearly out on it's own, however, the other ear seems to have some skin growing over the tube - we have an ENT appt later this month - they may need to surgically remove it!

My dd got tubes in at 14 months and they needed to be surgically removed at 4and a half because they were moving and scratching and causing blood droplets Needless to say it was a liitle nerve racking to see blodd drip out but she's 12 now and no worse for wear her "hearing loss" is optional if you get my driff:lmao: taking them out was easier than in out patient surgury both times but the first time lots of throwing up second time she slept the whole way home put her in her bed when she woke up she thought it was a new day and we just let her think it good luck at the peds I've been there today and will probably be back tomorrow as today's strep culture was "inconclusive" and we just found out the house she spent the night at Fri now all have strep Go fiquire :confused3

My dd got tubes in at 14 months and they needed to be surgically removed at 4and a half because they were moving and scratching and causing blood droplets

Were the blood droplets actually coming out through the tube(s)? I keep checking DD's ears for any signs of drainage or blood, and so far nothing. She is definitely indicating that her ear(s) hurt, though:confused3 I hope that it's just some itching or discomfort from the tubes falling out on their own, and not pain from the tubes scratching her. These tubes were a Godsend, but now they are really stressing me out!

Our experience is very rare....When my DD's first tube came out it was painful. Both of her tubes had become clogged (which I'm told is rare) the first one came out by itself but her ear drum bursted when it did. The second one had to be removed. Her ear had a plug of dried blood and fluid that was stuck in her ear that was causing her to have some hearing loss (which was temporary). Once the plug had been cleaned out they could see the tube and it was turned sideways (also very rare) and it had to be removed with surgury. She is perfectly fine now. Again like I stated above this was very rare for there to be complications. If you think there is a problem than you need to take her to the doctor.

DD had one tube fall out which did not seem to bother her. The second had to be surgically removed which was pretty bad. It was a simple surgery but she was in pretty intense pain for several days. The dr. said it was unusual but it was far worse than actually having them put in.

Interesting! She didn't have an infection, but her ped. said that her left tube was working it's way out. I wonder if that is what is bothering her then? You wouldn't think that that would be enough to keep her up all night every night, though. UGH.

My dd was up crying at night when she could feel hers moving around in there. She was very unhappy. We finally had the doctor just take it out for her. She also complained she couldn't hear "right". It must be really uncomfortable. Poor kiddos!

Hannah's were in for a LONG time (More than 3 years) One fell out on it's own, but the other stuck around. She did have some "pain" when it seemed to be falling out, but I think it was just the edge rubbing it, as hers seemed to be "stuck" by wax. I did put some saline in the ear and had her lay for a bit. After about 10 mins she sat up and the tube floated out on its own
HTH!

My son had a good experience with his tubes. One came out on it's own (no pain, no blood, couldn't find the tube) and the other came out when the ENT took it out (in the dr office). DS had one ear infection after the tubes and no infections since that time. He's been ear infection-free for 4 years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter