Pain management on cruise ?

mirandainwonderlanda92

Earning My Ears
For those with chronic pain disorders do you have any tips ? I have fibromyalgia and use a heating pad through out the day for pain flare ups can I take a heating pad on cruise?

For those with chronic pain disorders do you have any tips ? I have fibromyalgia and use a heating pad through out the day for pain flare ups can I take a heating pad on cruise?
No. This is from the DCL website:

the following items are restricted for safety reasons and should not be brought on board.
  • Electrical appliances and components
    • Blenders
    • Bottle sterilizers and warmers (A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services)
    • Coffee makers
    • Diffusers
    • Electric blankets
    • Electric irons and Steamers (all ships offer self-service laundry facilities equipped with irons and ironing boards)
    • Extension cords, power strips and surge protectors
    • Heating pads

I can suggest those disposable chemical packs (sold in camping departments). I use them to warm up the foot of my bed when camping. There are different sizes.

I read something about if you needed medication refrigerated, they would make it possible, but you had to contact Disney (the disability coordinator maybe?). Perhaps this would work too for a microwave heated pad? I would probably try to contact them and ask as they may have a solution we would not know about as it may be something that is only offered to qualified passengers who truly need extra help due to a medical condition.

As others have noted, an electric heating pad is not allowed. It is a fire hazard and there may also be issues with electric system compatability [ships have some unique requirements and issues with their electric system; even though it seems like you are plugging into "household power", you are not].

I often use an electric heating pad at home, but I never travel with one.

Instead I travel with ThermaCare Heatwraps in different sizes. I also use them at home and work.

The principle is similar to those little instant hot pads for hands and feet that one might use in the winter. However, these are larger, last much longer, and are designed with adhesive or velcro-like wrap depending on the style so they can be worn while you do things.

https://www.thermacare.com/heat-wraps
Costco and Amazon and Walmart and probably your local pharmacy sells them, though they may not have all styles.

I suggest trying a size(s) out to make sure it works for you before buying in bulk.

Each heat disc is designed to heat to about 104°F (40°C) for 8 hours. I find they stay usably warm for longer. Obviously at that temp not a fire hazard. Make sure you read the instructions about safely using them !!

FWIW, I can't put the adhesive on my skin as it causes a rash, so I put it on clothing instead. A lighweight bamboo scarf is excellent for holding the neck pain one against one's neck.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter