• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is throwing a monkey wrench into my battle plans for 2020.

Big extended family trip, the first time we've all gone in 10 years. The trip I was going to talk my husband into buying APs...

If they take away 4th fast passes (refresh method, if you will), I'd consider that Disney apocalypse-level bad.
Just trying to imagine the result if they made 4th FP an upcharge:

I'd imagine people won't pay extra for these for anything but the headliners. The result is that the non-headliners that only had significant numbers of FPs used was the result of additional FPs (I would never buy a Dumbo FP, but, if there is a FP available for free, then why not)

The result could be manageable standby waits for low-priority attractions, as the percentage allocated to FP will go way down (as people wouldn't be getting them).

It's paying for convenience. If I could pay to skip lines at WDW, that time is more valuable to me than the money is. Everyone has a limit of course, but that varies for every single guest. I'm still a new guest (only been December 2018 and booked for this September) and I think newer guests are looking for add-ons like this to make life easier. Maybe it's a Millennial thing, we'll pay for the convenience?
Nope. My millennial son is a cheapskate and would never pay for this.

It totally makes sense. They charge in Disneyland. They may charge more for SWGE there and try it out and boom here it is in WDW... Ive been to Disney so many times that rides dont even matter anymore but I would probably still pay to not wait in lines for new things.
But you can almost replicate what DL patrons are paying for for free if you go pull the fastpasses in person. I don't think this will be anything like that.

Yep. I snagged FoP as 4th and 5th last week among others across 3 parks. Really annoying to think that could go away.
Yes, getting FOP as a 4th FP was a nice surprise on our last trip.

Unexpected hard to get same day FPs is a nice pixie dust experience that purely is luck of the draw. One of the very few things I like about FP+ (in comparison to legacy FP).

Nope. My millennial son is a cheapskate and would never pay for this.

I'm an older millennial, I'm not paying for something that has been free my past 2 visits. I know my view of WDW crowds is skewed by the fact my first 5 or so trips were between 2002 and 2013. Post 9/11 and recession were good for low crowds.

I still wax poetic about paper fast passes though...so don't listen to me

This is throwing a monkey wrench into my battle plans for 2020.

Big extended family trip, the first time we've all gone in 10 years. The trip I was going to talk my husband into buying APs...
Same here. This was supposed to be our first real trip to WDW in 7 years (we've been going to DLR since 2012). Now I don't even know what to think. It was already going to be a longer trip, so more expensive. But this would add hundreds of dollars to the total not to face a potential big downgrade in experience.

Just trying to imagine the result if they made 4th FP an upcharge:

I'd imagine people won't pay extra for these for anything but the headliners. The result is that the non-headliners that only had significant numbers of FPs used was the result of additional FPs (I would never buy a Dumbo FP, but, if there is a FP available for free, then why not)

The result could be manageable standby waits for low-priority attractions, as the percentage allocated to FP will go way down (as people wouldn't be getting them).

The result is no more tea in the Disney World Sahara. :worried:

What is this refresh method I keep seeing referenced?

Getting day of fast passes. Occasional headliners become available throughout the day, but there are often quite a few of the moderate and low priority attractions available for fourth and beyond fast passes. There are threads on this in the TPAS Forum.

I wouldn't worry too much about learning about it, it's going the way of the carnotaurus (if rumors be true).

We already bought plane tickets
We already bought park tickets
Already bought enough discounted gift cards to pay for most of RO stay

So too late to change to Universal if this thing is a nightmare.

Therefore, if it costs $$$ to have the experience we expected when we planned this vacation, it's going to feel that Disney is completely ripping me off, to the point of theft.

Yes, I know their TOS completely covers them legally. But, not morally.

If I'm not mistaken only tickets that expire in Dec. 2019 are available for purchase and historically next year packages are available for purchase mid June.
As far as I know Disney has never taken away a feature without notice. I can't see them changing booking perks for people that booked throughout 2019. There is no good, justifible way to spin allowing guests 3 pre-booked FP and cutting down to 1 since the feature is heavily promoted in all of their marketing.
My guess is that 2020 packages will be announced in May with whatever the new set up will be and possibly 4th or more paid FP later this year.
We'll see.

I am not sure this will be a nightmare. It ALL depends on how they implement it.

As a frequent guest (and AP holder currently) -- would I pay for the convenience of being able to FP the new HOT attraction? Heck ya -- just how TONS of people pay for the events and parties.

I paid money for that old Park Hopper Express bus .. a convenience that did nothing but save me time for hopping between DHS and MK. Worth EVERY penny. I saved probably 90+ minutes.

If a paid fastpass saves me from waiting 90+ minutes for Pandora or SDD (considering I cant get those NOW unless I stay 5-6+ nights), is it worth it? Yes. The only reason I got SDD and FOP FP on my last trip was because I had my cousin (who was arriving days earlier than me) book mh FPs for me.

Also . if third fast passes are now PAYABLE . in theory . (since not EVERYONE is getting a 3rd fast pass) that would make standby lines shorter with less guests cutting the lines.

Right?

The question is .. will they TIER the rides? Like .. would I only be able to get the FREE fast passes for Tier 2 rides, but have to pay for the Tier 1? Would they then introduce tiering to MK where you can only get free FPs for things like Small World or Dumbo, but pay for the mountains?

If I'm not mistaken only tickets that expire in Dec. 2019 are available for purchase and historically next year packages are available for purchase mid June.
As far as I know Disney has never taken away a feature without notice. I can't see them changing booking perks for people that booked throughout 2019. There is no good, justifible way to spin allowing guests 3 pre-booked FP and cutting down to 1 since the feature is heavily promoted in all of their marketing.
My guess is that 2020 packages will be announced in May with whatever the new set up will be and possibly 4th or more paid FP later this year.
We'll see.
:genie: I wish you are correct and there isn't any impact this summer, otherwise I'm going to have to stock up on the Pepto at Costco :-)

I am not sure this will be a nightmare. It ALL depends on how they implement it.

As a frequent guest (and AP holder currently) -- would I pay for the convenience of being able to FP the new HOT attraction? Heck ya -- just how TONS of people pay for the events and parties.

I paid money for that old Park Hopper Express bus .. a convenience that did nothing but save me time for hopping between DHS and MK. Worth EVERY penny. I saved probably 90+ minutes.

If a paid fastpass saves me from waiting 90+ minutes for Pandora or SDD or the new SWGE rides? Probably worth it.

Also . if third fast passes are now PAYABLE . in theory . (since not EVERYONE is getting a 3rd fast pass) would make standby lines shorter with less guests cutting the lines.

Right?

The question is .. will they TIER the rides? Like .. would I only be able to get the FREE fast passes for Tier 2 rides, but have to pay for the Tier 1? Would they then introduce tiering to MK where you can only get free FPs for things like Small World or Dumbo, but pay for the mountains?
Unfortunately taking away Fastpasses won’t necessarily make the standby lines shorter waits. Since the rides only have a specific capacity all that limiting a third fastpass would do is likely increase the people in the standby line so on average I think the wait times will seem the same. Actually it might be worse if they limit the additional Fastpasses day of because those were specifically used by Disney (it’s an actively monitored system) to encourage people to move to other parts of a park or even a different park at whole.

We already bought plane tickets
We already bought park tickets
Already bought enough discounted gift cards to pay for most of RO stay

So too late to change to Universal if this thing is a nightmare.

Therefore, if it costs $$$ to have the experience we expected when we planned this vacation, it's going to feel that Disney is completely ripping me off, to the point of theft.

Yes, I know their TOS completely covers them legally. But, not morally.

Ditto. We are going either way at this point in August and will adjust plans accordingly if/when changes are rolled out. But no one ever wants to receive a downgrade after paying Disney prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter