PACKING TIPS-- Post yours here!

We are going on to WDW on Aug 16-22 and my family is 5 kids 2 adults, my step-sister family is 1 adult and 5 kids. What is the most important stuff to pack for such a large family. We are thinking that we will be doing laundry atleast 1 or 2 times. Any ideas will be helpful. Thanks

MaryBeth7 said:
my family is 5 kids 2 adults, my step-sister family is 1 adult and 5 kids. What is the most important stuff to pack for such a large family.
Tylenol/Aspirin/Motrin, your choice of :headache: med. :confused3

J/K! :duck: I couldn't resist! ;)

Seriously, I think if you look back on this thread, you'll find the 'roll and ziploc' method which can be done for daily outfits even, if you like. Kids can't argue, their clothes are packed already for each day. The rolling also helps save on space in the suitcase. (It really does - I did it but, I don't know why/how it works :confused3 )

Would love to hear about trip! :thumbsup2

I never realised packing was so complicated!!! i'm going to start now for our trip in september!!

Quick question: should you pack aerosols(deodrants etc.) in your suitcase or your hand luggage? i can never remember which one it is! :confused3

Pack aerosols in your carry on. We had stuff in our checked luggage, and we had to open our bags for some reason and they said it should go with you in the carry on. SO we had to rip everything apart and move it. From then on we make sure everything in a can goes in the carry on. :goodvibes

Actually, I just packed all of that stuff this morning!! :cool1: :cool1:

let me vote too for the roll and ziploc method!!!!!!!!!!!!!!if they search your luggage, at they might, if they can see thru the packing they often won't open the bags and scattter them...i use 2 gallon bags for each outfit then all in an extra large bagm liquid items in their own separate bags

AmberLuvsWDW said:
Pack aerosols in your carry on. We had stuff in our checked luggage, and we had to open our bags for some reason and they said it should go with you in the carry on. SO we had to rip everything apart and move it. From then on we make sure everything in a can goes in the carry on. :goodvibes

Actually, I just packed all of that stuff this morning!! :cool1: :cool1:

I thought you had to pack aerosols in your checked luggage and were not allowed them in your carry on. I always thought it was something to do with air pressure in the plane?

All I know is I remember them specifically telling us to move our things to our carry-ons. Maybe I'll check with the airline. :confused3

Ok, me again, I just called Southwest, and they checked with the TSA. They said it didn't matter. It could be carried-on or checked. SO I guess we can do whatever. I alreay put my stuff in the carry-on, so I guess it will stay there.

Have a great trip!! :sunny:

With the new guidelines (in light of the recent terrorism acts that were planned), what changes will you make in regards to your carry-on's?

We always, always overpack and I would really like to avoid that this time around.. We're going the first week in Dec. and it's going to be hard because we'll have to pack for several types of weather..

C.Ann said:
With the new guidelines (in light of the recent terrorism acts that were planned), what changes will you make in regards to your carry-on's?

We always, always overpack and I would really like to avoid that this time around.. We're going the first week in Dec. and it's going to be hard because we'll have to pack for several types of weather..

You just can't pack anything liquid or gel. But that covers lots of things, including toothpaste, liquid make-up, mascara, lip gloss, shampoo - tons of toiletry items. They will make you throw them away if you pack them in your carry on, so my advice is to ziploc them and put them in your checked bags. Or you could ship a small package ahead to your resort with this stuff in it.

What I wonder is if they'll change the min per person to 3 instead of 2. I mean basically most people have 2 checked, 1 carry on. OR we'll have to learn how to pack lighter and buy toiletries wherever we're going. BUT if you're going on a cruise or to a resort such as in Jamaica, you can't run into Wal-Mart and buy toothpaste, shampoo and all the other stuff we need. When I fly I have one carry on that has a make-up bag w/powder, blush and lipstick to touch up, a book and all my cameras, film etc so it's not that big of a deal anyway....I will miss my bottle of water but that's ok....whatever it takes. I ALWAYS get to the airport at least hour and half before my flight, now I'll just get there 2 or 2 1/2 hrs. I don't mind being "wanded", don't mind people going through my stuff. I have nothing to hide from anyone. Bottom line is we have to make this change for our safety and personally I would rather go through this than take the risk of someone trying to do something to cause any of us harm.

I might have got my references crossed, but wasn't it that due to the terroist attacks they also banned bring electronics like iPods and laptops as or in your carryons? Not quite sure, but would love to be clarifyed.....

It is still permissable to carry on electronics...

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

I believe there has been some debate over whether or not they will be prohibited in the future...but honestly, I don't know that "corporate" America will ever allow that to happen without a fight!!

I'm all for doing what needs to be done to keep us safe. And personally, I don't have a problem with airline workers searching through my stuff...it's stealing my stuff that I'm not so keen on! Until they can correct that problem...it will be very interesting to see how they can initiate rules that require passengers expensive electronic equipment to be checked in unlocked, unprotected luggage!

I plan on getting a small pump bottle for hairspray and putting some febreeze in it....it would be great to spray jeans if you wanted to wear them another day without having to do laundry, especially if you got caught in the rain that day.

I just wanted to add that you are allowed up to 4 oz (118 ml) of saline solution, eye drops and other non-prescription medication in your carry-on. :goodvibes

I am REALLY happy about that... Contact lenses are soooo not meant to be worn on the planes... well at least in my eyes! And I hate wearing glasses during rides!

Okay - I need to be convinced here. I used to travel for a living and tried rolling my clothes - once. I ended up with a bunch of terribly wrinkled clothes, and they were all knits. It also didn't save me any space, either. I do the one-outfit-per-day ziploc bag trick now for me and the kids, and all I ever get are clothes with minimal fold lines. Let me know if you think I'm wrong, but I really don't think it's better.

it could be the fact that im a 21 year old guy but i never pack more than like one pair of jeans and a decent shirt and then all the rest is like mesh shorts and t shirts. everything else i really need is at the resort and also i like to be able to carry on my bag because ive seen too many cases where people pack alot and then have to check it and dont end up getting there luggage until there on there way home because it was lost! :confused3

I fell in love with pants that unzip into shorts. It avoids packing shorts & pants, plus it easy to carry the pants legs in my bag for when the temp goes down at night and I want long pants.

The secret to rolling clothes to pack is to roll them really tight. I finally gave in on our last trip and rolled the clothes. It worked out great. I would roll a few things together instead of everything by itself. It sure helped with the space also. enjoy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter