Packing now...how cold is 49 there?

ChrisMouse

DIS Veteran
Hi all..

I’m from Colorado and packing for Fri-Mon trip. Looks like 75 ish daytime and 49 nighttime. For us, 75 is quite warm so we are packing shorts and capris for the days, but will we freeze at night?

I’m going nuts and don’t want to overpack.

Thanks for any guidance...

Chris

We are very hardy Utahns, but nearly froze to death watching F! last night when it was about 50F. It cools off quickly when the sun goes down.

COLD! I was there last night watching Mickey Mix Magic and it was freezing!! Saw people going into the shops to buy sweaters because they were caught off guard by the nice temps early in the day. I'm so glad I brought my down coat and gloves!! Also, late at night after fireworks when the park clears out, it becomes even colder..probably because there are less bodies.

You absolutely want something warm for when the sun goes down.

Chilly mornings feel like they do here in WA (my son and I will say “it feels like Disneyland” on early mornings when we’re out and about), but nights, BRR.

Thank you all! That settles it—I’m bringing the jeans and heavier sweatshirts (not that I mind *having* to go buy a nice new sweatshirt also LOL)

We are from Calgary, Canada - it gets cold here. Our last trip to Anaheim was the coldest we've experienced there and the biggest thing we found impacted how cold it felt is the dampness. I am guessing you have the dry mountain weather we have with the high elevation inland - so when it's around 50 or so farenheit but it's damp and raining - it feels cooler. We are used to the dry cold - so I find even going to Vancouver where it's much milder but very rainy and damp, I can get my bone chill on for some reason and it's harder to warm up.

Last edited:

We are from Calgary, Canada - it gets cold here. Our last trip to Anaheim was the coldest we've experienced and the biggest thing we found impacted how cold it felt is the dampness. I am guessing you have the dry mountain weather we have with the high elevation inland - so when it's around 50 or so farenheit but it's damp and raining - it feels cooler. We are used to the dry cold - so I find even going to Vancouver where it's much milder but very rainy and damp, I can get my bone chill on for some reason and it's harder to warm up.
Your post makes me feel better. I know I am a wimp when it comes to cold (or anything outside of 75 and sunny), but this year has been REALLY cold. People say that Socal residents' view of "cold" isn't actually cold...but if someone who is from Canada says it's cold, it must be lol.

49 is cold anywhere. Bring some gloves, a warmer coat, and a beanie. I may have lived in southern California most of my life, but I've lived in Colorado and Washington, too. 49 feels cold, especially if the wind is blowing.

I'm from Oregon, so 50º usually means long sleeved t-shirts at home.... But 50º at night at Disneyland is definitely a much cooler 50º. Seriously (embarrassingly) 50º at Disneyland after dark, and I'm in at least the lining of my 3-in-1 type winter coat.

So, I think you're on the right track with your shorts and capris. I'd pack sweatshirts for early evenings, and then a heavier/warmer layer for when it's really night. For me, that would be my parka lining and shell, knowing that eventually, I will likely layer them.

But, I'm a cold weather wimp.

Here, I could get away with a lighter jacket and (I guess I can't say the name brand on here? They're the ones similar to BearPaw) boots at 50. But there, I would pack a heavier jacket (or a zip-in type for winter), *brand I can't say on here* boots

Was it editing you?

Uggs?

... Here, I could get away with a lighter jacket and (I guess I can't say the name brand on here? ... I would pack a heavier jacket (or a zip-in type for winter), *brand I can't say on here* boots, ...
Don't worry about referencing name brands here (unless the name of the brand is actually offensive or a profanity!). I actually like it when posters get specific about gear brands because it can really help other people know what kind of jackets, gloves, shoes, etc. work well at DLR. I've learned a lot from other posters' references to name brands which were new to me.

OP: I'm a local, but have lived in other parts of the U.S and abroad where it gets cold in the winter, so I understand that 49*F has various interpretations. Here's what I was wearing in the parks last night: light thermals (top and bottom), turtleneck, fleece, 600 fill down jacket (stored in a locker until evening -- during the day, the fleece was enough), light gloves, wool hat, jeans, wool socks, tennis shoes. It was a little warm for swing dancing (ended up ditching the down jacket, but keeping the fleece), but perfect for rides, fireworks, and everything else in DTD and in the parks. Don't forget to bring sunscreen! Even in cooler weather, it can still be very sunny here -- I got a little sunburned in the afternoon yesterday. Met someone at dinner who mentioned that the same thing happened to her yesterday.

Last edited:
Your post makes me feel better. I know I am a wimp when it comes to cold (or anything outside of 75 and sunny), but this year has been REALLY cold. People say that Socal residents' view of "cold" isn't actually cold...but if someone who is from Canada says it's cold, it must be lol.

Yes, keep in mind it's all relative - while it was colder than we expected from our previous trips to California - it was still a LOT warmer than the weather we left and returned to. I think the main issue is people do not dress for it - so they end up feeling colder than they should have otherwise. We still enjoyed the break from our winter.

I throw in my 2 cents as a NJ native living in CO for the past 20+ years. DW & DS22 are CO natives. We three were at DLR in early January and, looking back at the "official" temps for our visit, we were in the mid to upper 60s during the day and 48-50 low temps overnight so I can't really say what the temps were at night in the parks but, after wearing shorts & t-shirts all day, I put on a hoodie once it was dark but DW & DS didn't need an additional layer...FWIW.

We were at the park last night. We are from Pennsylvania. We all wore jeans, a short sleeve shirt with a light jacket/sweatshirt over top. My girls were cold in the morning and when it got dark. We had small thin blankets to sit on for Fantasmic and they wrapped up in them. We didn’t want to carry our winter coats if we got hot, but I think we would have been more comfortable with them on.

I was fine in shorts a week ago, but I was glad to have a long-sleeve t-shirt or my Haunted Mansion rugby shirt with me for the evenings. Really, I wore them all day and was fine. I did not feel the need to change into pants though and feel I may have been too warm during the day had I worn them.

... My girls were cold in the morning and when it got dark. We had small thin blankets to sit on for Fantasmic and they wrapped up in them. We didn’t want to carry our winter coats if we got hot, but I think we would have been more comfortable with them on.

It can get pretty chilly by the ROA and by Paradise Bay at night. People don't always think about that when waiting to view F! and WOC. Especially when you're sitting on the cold pavement, inactive, waiting for a longer period for the show to start, you can really feel the chill set in. Same with waiting for rides. It's easy to keep warm walking briskly from ride to ride. But once you're waiting, inactive, in lines for a while, the chill can set in. People don't expect that and if they aren't prepared with a sweatshirt or a jacket, it can be surprisingly cold, even more so if the weather is damp.

Last edited:
We were there Feb 23 - Mar 1. We had no rain but the mornings and evenings were chilly. I brought a thin hoodie and a rain jacket for myself and those were barely warm enough some evenings. My daughter (also four) had a rain jacket and a thin hoodie and was also a little cool in the evenings and mornings. A more thick, fluffier hoodie would have been better. We wore pants and t-shirts all of the days. During the warmest time of the day we went back to our hotel and swam in the pool.
We live in Canada and came from -13F weather.

No experience visiting Disneyland at this time of year. We're summer visitors. However, just wanted to point out that Disneyland guests probably "acclimate" to the daytime weather and will likely find the nighttime weather much chillier.

We're from Canada so we find Disneyland in the summer extremely hot. Last visit was during a heat wave and it was so hot for us, we mostly sought indoor attractions from noon to about 5:00 or 6:00 pm. We did not bring jackets to the parks. However, a few days into our trip, by mid to late evening it felt pretty chilly because we became accustomed to the daytime heat. Lesson learned ... we brought jackets for the evenings after that. :-)

Have fun! Enjoy your trip! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter