Packing...how much is TOO much

Jinnyboom

Mouseketeer
Assisting teen daughters with room cleaning today..:eek: :eek: :eek:
I'm thinking it would be a good idea to just start packing some items now for our December trip..(those of you with teenagers may understand why I'm thinking this way:eek: :eek: :eek: )
My question........how much is TOO much....going early to mid December...(weather of course is uncertain)...Thinking that they really might not need FIVE swimsuits each :eek: :eek: :eek:
Seeking input regarding number of shorts...shirts...jeans..sweats/sweatshirts...
Total trip time is seven days and eight nites...will have laundry services available...
Can anyone relate:eek: :eek: :eek: ?

Thanks soooooooo much in advance!!!!!

I always overpack
Even when I try to pack my lightest I still have extra items
I find underwear, socks, and t-shirts we can never have to many of
Jeans and shorts can be reworn
If you are planning on buying tshirts and sweatshirts keep that in mind too - pack less of whatever you are buying
and I always take a suitcase or duffle bag empty for souviners

We went in mid December last year and needed some of everything. One MVMCP we went to, we actually needed hats and gloves, but during the same trip it was as hot as it was during our June trip. Go figure... My kids swam EVERY night. I would bring two pairs of pants, sweat shirts, summer clothes...a little bit of everything.. just to be safe. You don't want to have to buy hats and gloves in the parks, as some people were forced to that one night. Just keep watching the extended forecast as your trip gets closer!!

A teenager should be able to carry her own luggage. I'd say that if she doesn't mind carrying it, she can take it.

Just remind them of the souveniers they'll want to buy ... If they pack their suitcases full, where will they store all the Disney stuff? :)

How much is too much? I was going to say, microwaves, George Foremans, electric skillets, crock pots, etc. ;)

If I was going for a week in December, I would pack 3 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of pants, 1 fleece or sweatshirt, 1 turtleneck, 5 t-shirts/summery shirts/layerable shirts, 2 bathing suits,socks,underwear. You are going to have laundry facilites, so stuff can be washed. You are going to buy new stuff, so save some room for that.

My FH just asked me NOT to pack for him, cuz I ALWAYS overpack! :teeth:

I just can't help it, what if we NEED some things and we don't have it cuz we didn't pack it!!! What if it gets cold, what if it gets really hot, etc. etc. I'm just a worry wart.:rolleyes:

Does anyone know what the weather would be like in December?
I'll TRY not to over pack this time around!;)

I too have 2 teen age daughters. We went mid-February this year, 8 nights. I had them each pack 8 T-shirts, 8 shorts, 4 to 8 tank tops, 2 pair pants (jeans, sweats, warm-ups etc.), and 2 sweatshirts (I think they each brought 2-3 suits). They both shared a 26" suitcase on wheels, my DH and I shared another 26", I put the shoes in a tote bag (the kind with zippered pockets on either end, zippered opening on top) along with another folded up tote bag to bring home souvenirs, and everything else (toiletries etc) went into a 19" suitcase on wheels. Each of the girls took a backpack on the plane as well as myself with all our Disney info in it. This worked great for us. ~:D~

We will be going for 7 days and 6 nights and I always pack the same way. I add one day (making it 8 days instead of 7) split that in half and then take enough clothes for those days (in my case this year that is 4) then I do laundry one evening or one morning in the middle. It makes for one suitcase for me and my DH and one smaller pullman for the kids to share (they won't be going this year;) )

In Dec I take (for each person) one swimsuit, 1 sweatshirt, 2 pair of shorts (as stated above, these usually can be re-worn or switched off with jeans), 2 pair of jeans,1 pair of sweats, 4 short sleeve t-shirts, 4 long sleeve t-shirts, one warm jacket, gloves, hats, rain ponchos and one complete extra outfit in the carry-on bag just in case the luggage ends up MIA. I always take extra socks and underwear too!

I've been fretting over the same question. I leave in a few days and I'm hoping that this will be the first time that I DONT overpack.

It's just so tough to figure out the weather.

Thanks

I began packing this week, a little at a time. Tonight, I'm doing my big time packing... mostly shorts and a couple of pairs of capri, and 2 long pants, one pair I'll wear on the plane because we're leaving at 5:30 a.m., so it will be quite cold.

My daughter on the other hand has not even begun to pack... she'll do that Tuesday night before we head to the hotel (staying there over night so we don't have to get up at 3:30 in the morning to get ready and drive to the airport).

BUT, the packing list for the dog is almost as long as mine. I couldn't believe it when I started listing everything I have to bring to his "cousin's" house, where he'll be staying while we're gone.

Ginnyboom
My question is are your teenage girls the typical fashion conscious teens? That may require more outfits than you can possibly imagine. Believe it or not I took 2 suitcases and wore almost every outfit in the 7 days we were there. But to me that is part of the fun. My suggestion let them take 2 or 3 prs of pants, a couple pr capris and 4 or 5 pr of shorts and maybe one skirt or dress if you are going anywhere nice to eat. 2 or 3 bathing suits 4 or 5 t's, a few tanks,a sweatshirt, maybe a nice sweater, and another type of long sleeve top.

I just finished my packing. I was pleasantly surprised to see it wasn't as outrageous as it seemed in my mind. For 9 days, family of 4 (DD 13, DS 2) I have three check bags (one very large, two medium) and three carryons. I even have a full mega pack of diapers packed! I wasn't planning on bringing them but there was enough room so why not. I also packed my clock radio because it has a CD player and DS needs his music at bedtime. DD packed alot of clothes but not too much. DS has alot too, but he's little so the clothes are little :) DH will wake up tomorrow and scrounge around for clothes to put on his back and that will be the total of packing and preparing he did!!!! I enjoy it and he hates it so he trusts me to do his packing.

I also have a hug stash of snacking foods and 12 20 ounce bottles of water spread out through the bags.

I'm a little concerned that I might have gone to heave on summery clothes and too light on warmer things. I just checked the weather channel site again and it looks like low 70s/high 60s days and 40s/50s nights! We might be buying sweatshirts as our souvenirs!!!

Less than a day to go......:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

If there's still room in the suitcase, you haven't packed enough!

Have you traveled by air with water bottles in your luggage before??....I love the idea but would be afraid that the bottles might break???
Thanks to everyone for your input:bounce:

We just got back yesterday,

here's my packing tip:

PACK LIGHT PACK LIGHT PACK LIGHT PACK LIGHT!!!!

We used about half of the clothes we packed, half of the toys we packed for DS (2) and half of the snacks!!! After lugging the bags throught the airport twice I vowed never to bring so much stuff again!!!!

Yes I have brought water bottles before and successfully this time. In fact, that is the one thing I would bring as much of again next trip. I double bag them in zip lock bags just in case but never had a leak.

I totally agree with you. I never even wore one of my 5 tank tops I brought with me, just the short sleeve t-shirts. I totally overpacked. and never ate half of the snacks I brought for us. We stopped at the grocery store and ending up leaving the bread along with the jelly and 5 bottles of water.

I wore shorts the whole time during the day, temps were in the 70's.. which was extremely warm for us, as we flew out of PVD in a snowstorm.

I only wore one pair of long pants the week we were there. I never put on one pair (of the 3) capri's I brought too, thinking it was going to be really cold at night. Although, I would take the capri's and long pants with me again, because you never know what it's going to be like at night.

so when you're packing..... put half of it back,, more room for your souveniers and you can always buy t-shirts there!!

I always vow to pack light but find all kinds of things we may need! This time I'm going to do it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter