Packing help for younger boys!!!

kajohn

DIS Veteran
WE leave on our MAGICal cruise in 28 days, so it is time to plan what I need to pack!!!

I'm trying to pack conservatively, without being short on clothing (I really don't want to do laundry). I have two boys age 5 and 7 and a stepson age 9 who are going with us. I need to get a packing list to my stepson's mom tommorow, and I need to know if I am asking for the right stuff.

A couple of questions:

1: What do boys normally wear to dinner? I had planned on khaki's and golf shirts on casual nights, and then dress shirt tie and sport coat with khaki's on formal and semi formal night. Does that sound right?

Also, do the kids stay in those clothes for the rest of the night, if they go to their clubs(maybe not the sport coat and tie), or do most change back into shorts? If they change after dinner, then they could wear the same pants on more than one night. If they stay in them all night, I would think they would need more pairs to get them through the week.

Here is the packing list I have put together for my 9 year old stepson. Anyone who has travelled with younger boys, could you let me know if this seems like the right amount of everything, or if things need to be adjusted. Keep in mind this doesn't include all the extras that I would be packing, i.e. over door shoe hanger, shampoo, over the counter medicines etc.

3 swimsuits
water shoes
tennis shoes
sandals
dress shoes
5 shorts
8 t shirts
3 pair dress slacks or khakis
2 dress shirts
1 or two ties
1 sport coat
5 collared shirts
9 pair underwear
5 pair socks white
5 pair socks dress
camera
gameboy (with charger)
homework
toothbrush/toothpaste
any medicine/vitamins
birth certificate
2 pair pajamas

I am assuming they will spend some days in just sandals, and swimsuits so they can wear some shorts more than one day. Is this reasonable.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! You all have been unbelievable in your help!

If the boys wear sandals, they usually don't wear socks with them. Our daughter only wore her tennis shoes on the airport, she lived in sandals with no socks the rest of the trip.

Our son didn't like the sandals, so he did wear socks since he had tennies. If the boy will wear the sandals, you probably only need 2 pairs of white socks (plus the one he wears going down). Also, I can't imagine he needs 5 pairs of dark socks. 2-3 will work out fine. Just have him put them back in the drawer for the next dinner. Tropical night he probably will wear sandals too.

As far as dinner attire, what you said sounds fine. Our son changed back to shorts about half the time. If he was just in khakis and a collared shirt, he left it on when he went back to the club (unless they were playing on the sports deck, then he changed). You could also get by with one dress shirt.

The best thing you have on the list is 3 swimsuits. We took 3 also (which I thought was overkill), but often, the kids would swim in the morning, and again in the evening. By the next morning, the first suit was sometimes still damp. If they are won't put on a damp bathing suit, the 3rd one is good to have!

I usually take a pair of khakis and a pair of navy pants and a few polo shirts for Matthew for casual nights and a black suit for the formal night. (the black pants can sub with a polo for other nights too) I have him change after dinner so that he can wear the pants again later.

Sounds like you have it all planned.

I usually take a pair of khakis and a pair of navy pants and a few polo shirts for Matthew for casual nights and a black suit for the formal night. (the black pants can sub with a polo for other nights too) I have him change after dinner so that he can wear the pants again later.

Your list is fine! We traveled w/5 grandson's ages 1-15. For dinner, ours wore khaki pants with dress or golf shirts on casual nites. For formal - suits or sport coat w/shirt/tie, for semi a dress shirt/tie would be fine. Tropical nite, they had a blast wearing their Tropical shirts. We had early dinner, so 'sometimes' they changed afterwards. You will find they only wear their dress pants/shirts for a short time, therefore can wear them more than once.

I must laugh when I think back about this and how we all obsessed, shopped, matched and worried about what we would wear:). Honestly, you will see everything, and everyone is too busy having a great time to even worry about what someone else is wearing. If you try to follow Disney's recommended dress you will be fine. Have fun ;)

Hey Kelly,

Every time we cruise, your list is my list, BUT, I'm always WAY over packed. I'm trying to scale back on this one, but I don't like laundry either, so we'll see. It is kind of a trade off, though. Do some laundry on board or do it all when you get home:eek: . (Unless you have a housekeeper, then hey!) I have done laundry on board for that very reason. Just didn't want to deal with the getting back on track and 10 days worth of laundry for 4 people.

Some ways to scale back:

Only take half of what you think you need. Unless your kids are REALLY messy eaters, they can change into the same pair of slacks for dinner.
They can also get by with 5 pairs of shorts. On sea days, most kids roam about in bathing suits and shirts.
Let collared shirts do double duty. (instead of both tee and collared). They don't really need to change clothes more than twice a day.

Have a great time on your cruise!

Tracy

Thanks everyone for your input, I feel much better. I am afraid my kids will spill stuff on their good clothes, very common in my house! So I will probably still pack two dress shirts.

As for laundry, I'm lucky I guess, we are going to my in-laws for 4 days post cruise who live in a small town an hour from orlando. There isn't really anything for me to do there, (fishing isn't my cup of tea) so I will have plenty of time to do all the laundry there, and take almost all clean clothes home, and it's free as well

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter