Packing for feburary trip

cinjam

When will we go again???? Why in April, of course!
OK I am probably thinking too much about this but as I start to gather together what clothes I am going to pack for DS (2YO) for our trip in the 1st week of February I am having a problem.

I checked the historical weather for Orlando in February and average temp during the day is low-70s and in the evening mid-50s. We are there for 7 days....so I think I need:
*3 pairs shorts for the daytime
*3 pairs pants for the evening
*3 short sleeve t-shirts
*3 long sleeve t-shirts
*1 sweat shirt
*1 light jacket
*I also pulled out 2 one-piece rompers (short legs)
*We'll do laundry mid-way through the trip.

Why do I feel like I am packing too much!?!?!? I guess the last time we went it was warmer so it was shorts all the way for DS so his pile was a lot smaller.

I guess it's not a big deal if I over-pack, but it just seems like his pile is huge. Maybe I should dump the rompers, but they are Disney rompers, with cute sayings, which he looks realy good in (my next child better be a girl LOL!)

Anyone have experience w/what I would need for this time of the year? Does my list look ok?

Having made several trips with small boys I know your plight. We just went to WDW in December and it was unseasonally cold. I had shorts, sweat pants, jeans, sweat shirts, tee-shirts, sneakers, sandels and socks up the yahoo.
I have never been able to go to WDW without over packing. Especially if you go for longer then 2 nights.
I don't feel too bad because I am prepared for just about anything. You can't be caught off guard if your prepared.
Think of rain gear too.
I guess cause most people have to take a plane to WDW that packing is a pain. Being able to drive up there is alot easier. It must really stink to air travel with kids. I have yet to attempt it.

AllisonG - you are right: I'd rather be prepared rather than caught off-guard.

When we went in April we had two suitcases & a large duffle bag - talk about a lot of stuff. This was in addition to lugging around the stroller & car seat (which we used on the plane & in the car from airport to WDW). The duffle bag was the straw that broke DH's back.

This trip I am making myself pack only two suitcases!! I am not packing diapers, wipes, snack & other toddler necessities like I did the last time (will make a run to Publix on way to WDW).

Flying with DS in April was not too bad. He handled it better than DH did LOL! We are keeping our fingers crossed that the flight in February will go as smoothly as last time :eek:

I just can't imagine having to lug the car seat and stroller. Can you see me doing it with 2 kids??!! Absolutely NOT!
I wish there was an easier way.
Good idea about stopping at Publix on your way in. or I had heard about people buying the stuff at home and shipping it to the hotel to arrive when you arrive and the resort will hold it for you (for so long).
Good luck and have a great time!

From everything that I have read this is supposed to be an uncharecteristically colder than normal winter for the entire eastern US. I have been to Disney in January, February and March and have yet to had to break out my jacket (but I always pack it) I would definitely pack things that are layerable such as shorts with t-shirts that you can add a sweatshirt or jacket over and socks to sandals. When we go we always pack the kids 2 pair of jeans, 4 pair of shorts, 9 short sleeved shirts, 2 long sleeved shirts, a sweatshirt or pullover/jacket and as many socks as I can pack (we rarely wear sandals in the parks - tennis shoes only) oh, and swimsuits! Even though the "average annual temperature for that time of year" is in the low 70's, we have yet to find that happen to us (it's always the following week ;) )

:earsgirl:

Better to pack too much than spend the money we spent last year on sweatshirts. Wow! We misjudged. The weather the previous 2 years was gorgeous, but last year was chilly. I will be using a little better judgement in my packing this year. It sounds to me like you're doing just fine.

I always seem to overpack for all of us but especially 2yo DD! I always bring extra outfits for her in case of spills etc. And since you never know what the weather will bring during a Fl winter I would feel safer with a variety of clothes.

Thank you all for responding! I will keep DS's pile as is (I actually added a thing or two to it today :D )

At lesst your DS is little so his clothes don't take up too much room!!

I way over packed this past January but I agree that we had everything we could ever need. We never even needed the coats or even a sweat shirt. Our friends however went the year before and wore eveything they had and then still froze!

We too drive and are going back in December and here is my plan. I am going to pack a seperate bag of just winter stuff and put it in the back of the trunk. It will stay there and If I need it i only have to go to the parking lot to get it. Still have to pack and deal with it but not lug it to the room and the clothes will still be clean if we don't need them. I have also learned it's easy yo rinse out a t-shirt in the sink at night and dry overnight. Downey Wrinkel release gets the wrinkels out the next AM.

Last January it was jeans and t-shirts everyday. DS even swam a couple of times.

Jordan's mom

We were at WDW last Feb. 6-12 and here's what I wish I'd packed:

a polar fleece jacket, earband, and knit gloves for each!!!!

It was pleasant during the daytime (low 60's to 70) but several evenings were downright cold! We froze in several layers at Fantasmic one evening. Some nights the low temp was upper 30's. I had watched the 10 forcast but of course that changed after our first day down there! We only wore shorts one day and I had to do laundry (jeans and sweatshirts) near the end.

So be prepared for anything in Feb.!;)

P.S. My kids swam all but one day despite the cold, thank goodness for those heated pools!:D

You think you are bad!
We are flying in, in Feb from Scotland for a week at Disney followed by a week cruising so we need Formal clothes too.
I always pack way too much, This time I think we will have 4 full cases although we are allowed 8, the extra 4 wouldnt fit in our hire car!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter