Packing Cube Recomendations

Non-compression packing cubes don't necessarily save space. By rolling clothes before putting in the cubes and strategically packing them in the suitcase, they end up taking up about the same amount of space as just packing everything without cubes or bags. But I like them because they keep things organized, especially when traveling with multiple people.

I agree. I guess I was an efficient packer before I even got packing cubes because I don't have any more space in my suitcase after using packing cubes than I did before using packing cubes. I do like them for organizing stuff, though.

I did get some compression cubes when I traveled a few months ago, but they were crappy ones from Walmart. The zipper already broke on one. I was flying an international budget airline for part of my trip that has notoriously strict luggage limits. So I wanted to make sure I stayed within size limits. Even that wasn't strictly necessary. It just kept a large number of items in a very small space, so when I opened my bag, I didn't have a bunch of stuff fall out.

One other nice aspect of packing cubes vs ziplocs is you can move the zippers to an emptier section of the bag. It allows you to fill empty space better. But, you do need double zippers for that. I think my Walmart ones are single zipper, so they fail in that area too.

I found that before packing cubes, I could have a lovely organized suitcase, up until the first time someone (read: one of my children) needed to take anything out. Then the whole thing would explode in a giant tornado of clothing. The cubes keep things reasonably organized for much longer.

Thanks to all for your advice. I ended up going with the Bagail compression cubes. They arrive Tuesday and we leave Wed to the House of Mouse for 3 nights. Quick hit but along with cheap flights, decent AP rate on the room, and AP's it's worth it. We want to see Neil Patrick Harris doing the Candlelight Processional and have a dinning package for it.

I've got 3 sets of packing cubes: 2 sets from Bag-All and 1 set from The Home Edit collection at Walmart. The Home Edit packing cubes at Walmart have 2 sides to each cube. They worked great for our trip to WDW last week :)

Now that I have my packing cubes and my flight is a bit over 24 hours away the $64,000 question. Fold or roll in the compression cubes? Or does it matter?

Last edited:

Roll!! 😄 Have a great trip!
Thanks. I ended up rolling a few items and the rest were flat. It was only a 3 night trip so we didn't have a lot of clothes to begin with but I am sold on the cubes and plan on buying a couple more sets for our longer summer trip. This summer we were there for 11 nights.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter