Packing a Mattress Topper

firstwdw

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever bought their own mattress topper on a Royal cruise? Suggestions for brand and how to pack? Reading reports that many ships no longer offer egg-crates but also that Royal's beds are very hard. Thanks

Mattress firmness probably depends on the ship. Haven't experienced a truly firm bed yet on Royal, and I like having a super-firm bed (our bed at home basically has no give to it. Might be an Asian thing.)

With that said, many third beds are sheets pulled over the sofa, and that's pretty darn firm.

I was just on a royal cruise in Feb and they still offered mattress toppers, you just got to be quick in asking for one, they have a limited amount.

In June we were able to get one, but we asked early in the cruise.

But for bringing your own, I would order from Amazon and just keep it in the box it came in, get an inexpensive one and leave it behind when you leave.

We cruised on Harmony last month and our beds were painfully firm. By night 3, my body was cursing me and the entire ship. I posed a similar question to yours on my RCCL groups on FB and I got everything from loyalists calling me a whiner and those who slept like babies ... to people who confirmed that their ship beds were extremely firm and horrible back issues from bed quality. I had heard some reports of mattress toppers being available upon request, but several people said theirs was nothing more that a couple of comforters added under their sheet...which compacted immediately with pressure. My parents had a suite and their bed felt much more plush than ours and they didn't ask for anything special, so maybe it's luck of the draw. I had debated about buying an inflatable topper on Amazon, like the one pictured below, but we were first time cruisers and I didn't want to spend on something if we decided cruising isn't for us.

1661290183122.png

We cruised on Harmony last month and our beds were painfully firm. By night 3, my body was cursing me and the entire ship. I posed a similar question to yours on my RCCL groups on FB and I got everything from loyalists calling me a whiner and those who slept like babies ... to people who confirmed that their ship beds were extremely firm and horrible back issues from bed quality. I had heard some reports of mattress toppers being available upon request, but several people said theirs was nothing more that a couple of comforters added under their sheet...which compacted immediately with pressure. My parents had a suite and their bed felt much more plush than ours and they didn't ask for anything special, so maybe it's luck of the draw. I had debated about buying an inflatable topper on Amazon, like the one pictured below, but we were first time cruisers and I didn't want to spend on something if we decided cruising isn't for us.

View attachment 696516
Suites (at lease Grand Suite and above, not sure about Junior suites) get a different bed than the non-suite rooms.

Suites (at lease Grand Suite and above, not sure about Junior suites) get a different bed than the non-suite rooms.

My parents' room was a junior suite, but it definitely felt like a different bed than our cabins. I don't see anything in the room/suite descriptions in RCCLs site that make mention of different beds, but it felt that way. Oh well.

I bought three of the twin toppers from Walmart for a Harmony of the Seas cruise that we took in February of 2020, right before COVID-19 shut things down for the industry. To pack these, I got some of those storage bags where you vacuum the air out (gets these to compress to about 1/4 of the space they would be otherwise / kind of cool the way that works). DH and DS thought the beds were fine on the ship and didn't use the one's I packed for them (kept those packed and brought them home). I used mine (made the bed more comfortable for me) and left it behind vs. taking it home. I didn't have a vacuum or bother trying to borrow one, and it would have been a tight fit in the suitcase without it.

Even with the compression bags, these still take a lot of room, so for example we took four suitcases for the three of us instead of just three, so that made luggage handling more of a pain. We flew Southwest, so the extra suitcase didn't cost anything to check. We were still able to manage our luggage on our own, but it was more awkward.

This did help me sleep well, but I prefer to pack lighter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter