Pacific Coast Highway Recomendations needed

Lisa0503

Proud DVC Owner - BWV & SSR
Hello. We (DH, DD 10, DS 9 and myself) will be visiting CA next week and I have everything planned except for our drive up the Pacific Coast Highway from the LA area to San Fransico. As we have never been to CA before and may never get there again, I know I want to take our time and see the sights. I know I want to take Rte 1 for the scenic drive along the shore line. We have a hotel booked for an overnight stop in Morro Bay and I know I want to kyack there. Beyond that, I am not sure.... I am looking for suggestions of where to stop and what to see along the way. As we are spending most of our vacation budget in DL and San Fran, I hoped to do more inexpensive scenic stops along the drive to see CA (good places to stop to see wildlife). Of course we need to eat so restaurant ideas are needed also. I would appreciate any suggestions.

I would google for the info. Some websites have a handy map with pull out info on the way.

There are so many places to stop along the way. SantaBarbara , Santa Cruz, Monterey. Just so much. It is an amazing drive. Monterey is amazing. I love it there. But I only live 3 hour drive away, so we go often.

Santa Cruz has the board walk with all the rides. Lots of food. Any places along the coast have great seafood to try. If you are not in any hurry, just take your time and google each town and see all the internet has to offer.

In Monterey, the newer portion of Fisherman's wharf has really good restaurants. So does Cannery row. Cannery row is a fun place to stop and look around and have something to eat and some nice shops.

Just make sure to have your camera, you can get so many wonderful pictures. Hope this helps you a little.

We are also planning our first trip to the CA coast and I have been researching interesting places to visit along Hwy 1.

If you are looking for wildlife there is an elephant seal beach with reportedly hundreds of elephant seals just basking on the shore in Piedras Blancs, near San Simeon, about an hour north of Morro Bay.

We're looking forward to stopping there. (It's also free.) :)

Also there is a restaurant in Big Sur named Nepenthe. It gets rave reviews for its location and views of the ocean.

It seems to be a little pricey, but everyone says the atmosphere and view can't be beat. Most people seem to like the food too. I haven't eaten there, but again I've been doing a lot of research.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

We are also planning our first trip to the CA coast and I have been researching interesting places to visit along Hwy 1.

Never let a Californian hear you say "Hwy. 1" haha :rotfl2: to them, its Pacific Coast Highway or PCH!

Hearst Castle is also near PCH, Between San Louis Obispo, and Carmel. It is beautiful but does require a ticket! $25 for adults and $12 for kids 5-12.

Never let a Californian hear you say "Hwy. 1" haha :rotfl2: to them, its Pacific Coast Highway or PCH!

Hearst Castle is also near PCH, Between San Louis Obispo, and Carmel. It is beautiful but does require a ticket! $25 for adults and $12 for kids 5-12.

I don't know where you're from, but this is 100% wrong. Never let a Californian hear you refer to the Big Sur section of Highway 1 as "PCH". PCH only refers to the Southern California section of Highway 1. Hearst Castle, in particular, is not on PCH; it's on the Cabrillo Highway portion of Highway 1. But just "Highway 1" suffices, and is the most common term for the highway, except for the SoCal portion.

-Bob

Okay, this is the 2nd time in this forum I've been reprimanded for calling that road along the Pacific Ocean by the wrong name. :confused3

I want to be able to ask questions on this board without offending anyone as I gather information for our trip, but I seem to keep saying the wrong thing. The highway's name is such a touchy subject.

People of California, decide what you're going to call it and let me know. :)

Thanks!

Okay, this is the 2nd time in this forum I've been reprimanded for calling that road along the Pacific Ocean by the wrong name. :confused3 I want to be able to ask questions on this board without offending anyone as I gather information for our trip, but I seem to keep saying the wrong thing. The highway's name is such a touchy subject. People of California, decide what you're going to call it and let me know. :) Thanks!
I could care less, don't worry!!! I call it "The 1" but if someone calls it "highway 1" I certainly would know what they mean and definitely wouldn't care ;) to complicate agrees, northern Californians often refer to roads differently than southern Californians. No big deal in my opinion!

I want to be able to ask questions on this board without offending anyone as I gather information for our trip, but I seem to keep saying the wrong thing. The highway's name is such a touchy subject.

People of California, decide what you're going to call it and let me know. :)

Thanks!

Sonnyjane is exactly right. Nobody really cares enough to make a big deal out of it. I only jumped in because emily94 brought you to task and gave you information that's actually 100% wrong.

Officially, the entire highway can be referred to as "Highway 1", perfectly correctly. The official terms (per Caltrans) for the local sections are:

- South of Oxnard, it's Pacific Coast Highway, or PCH

- From where it splits off from 101 just north of Santa Barbara, all the way north to San Francisco, it's Cabrillo Highway.

- North of SF, it goes by various names. In Marin County, it's Shoreline Highway. North of there, I'm not really sure. But again, you were perfectly correct to refer to it as "Highway 1".

HTH,
Bob

It's San Luis Obispo, not Louis.

I wouldn't waste time at Heast Castle unless it really appeals to you. It will easily take up half a day. Do look over as you drive by though, you might see zebras!
See the elephant seals though! They're great!

In Morro Bay you may want to visit the estuary early in the morning. There are tons of birds, sea otters, and other critters. It's very pretty and peaceful. There's an easy hike up the hill in the golf course where you can see out a ways, that might be nice too.

Be careful of fog. Driving late at night/early morning on hiway 1 can be dangerous.

Me and my mom did this area this summer. It's beautiful! The elephant seals are at a turn off right after (going north) Hearst. My tip while driving is if a bunch of people are pulled off the road stop if you can because something is probably there.

Morro bay has some wild life too. While we were there we saw sea lions and otters. The otters like to hang out near the rock.

Monterey we say bunch of seals, sea lions, and otters. The otters and seals hang out on the rocks by cannery and the sea lions by fishermans wharf. Do not pay to see the sea lions! You can see them just as well if you keep walking on the pier a little further. 12 Mile drive at pebble beach is nice and you get to see the ridiculous houses there.

There are a bunch of whale watching companies around there too.

Near San Luis Obispo there is the Madonna Inn which is fun! The whole place is insane!

Pismo beach has sand dunes which you can go quading and horseback riding there.

I personally like Hearst but the new tours are kinda lame you only see about 4 rooms. The grounds you can freely walk and they are really pretty. The big pool is drained right now and they do not know when they will have the money to fix it.

Get gas before you leave Morro Bay because the gas is really expensive past that point till you get to Carmel/Monterey.

First off welcome to CA. The drive from LA to San Fran along Hwy 1 (that's what I call it too, lol) is beautiful in its self. A bit long but beautiful. I have driven the coast from LA to Seattle at one time or another but I am most familiar with Big Sur to the Northern Border of CA so I'll just comment on Big Sur to San Fran. Big Sur has some beautiful bridges and beaches. There is nothing in particular I could recommend other then just plan on stopping in this area and ENJOY!! Carmel is a quaint little town with some great shops and restaurants. Clint Eastwood use to be mayor. Pebble Beach/17 mile drive; there is a cost to drive thru here but the homes and views are amazing! Pacific Grove/Monterey; more great shops and restaurants. Check out Cannery Row, Fisherman's Wharf and the Monterey Bay aquarium. There is a neat store on Cannery Row that has great oil/vinegar, a Christmas store, Bubba Gumps and all the tourist stuff. In route to the next town from here is mostly farm land. Great road side fruit/veggies. This areas big on garlic and artichokes so stop for some deep fried artichokes if you like them; yum. If you enjoy seafood there is a great fish market on the beach called Phills I can give you the info for too. There is a theme park called Gilroy Gardens a little off the road. Santa Cruz is my all time FAV Northern CA beach town. It is quirky and artsy and in some areas even a little dirty but it can be so fun. Shop the surf stores downtown, check out the historic Beach Boardwalk, watch the surfers on the Pointe, visit the lighthouse. See the sea loins under the pier at Fisherman's Wharf or enjoy more fresh seafood. There are some sail tours out of here too. Want amazing pizza; check out Pleasure Pointe Pizza and have a pie loaded with local veggies. Kelli's French Bakery and Santa Cruz Mountain Breweries are two of my fav places for treats! Off the path a little in Felton is the Roaring Camp Railroads and some beautiful redwoods. Also in San Jose is more theme parks and the Winchester mystery house. Leaving Santa Cruz it is mostly remote and very small towns until you hit Half Moon Bay. There is a Hwy 1 brewery in Pescadro that is really cute; corn hole, beer garden and good food. There are some glamping options in Costona as well. Half Moon Bay and a few other towns with horseback riding, food, shops are right before San Fran and then I could list a million things in San Fran. Sorry that was so long winded but lived in this area my whole life and love sharing my fav spots...so feel free to ask questions! :)

I'd just point out that it's 650 miles long, and that different people call it different things. Here in the Bay Area, we call the local section "Highway 1". Legally it's "California State Route 1".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_1

Sections (but not the entire route) are known as Pacific Coast Highway, Cabrillo Highway, and Shoreline Highway.

We just went down there last weekend for the Half Moon Bay Art & Pumpkin Festival. We probably could have taken the freeway, but it was just too scenic to pass up. We took it from San Francisco through Pacific and down to HMB. There was a huge wait time around Pacifica, with lots of people looking to go to the beach. Right now there's also a little bit of a detour. From that point it was pretty smooth up until about HMB. The traffic wasn't that bad for the festival, but we paid for parking at a school so we didn't have to walk out a mile and a half.

How did you like the festival? It's on our list every year and still haven't made it. This year it was on a beautiful weekend but we were scared off by some of the stories of traffic, parking, no pumpkins and went further north to tomles bay to play instead.

I don't want to speak for bcla, but my experience with the Half Moon Bay Pumpkin and Art Festival several years ago was very underwhelming. DW and I haven't been back since.

Four or 5 years ago, we took 280 to 92 to Half Moon Bay and ended up stuck on 92, backed up with hundreds of other cars, for probably 2 hours. The traffic was that bad! (I noticed this year, the electronic signs along 280 warned in advance of heavy traffic to Half Moon Bay.) When we got there, parking was hard to find and I recall we ended up paying to park at a school or church lot.

The festival was more ART than PUMPKIN. The artists' booths probably stretched for 3 or 4 blocks. While there were a good amount of food booths, they were the ones that you'd find at most festivals around the Bay Area, and not very many booths had anything pumpkin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter