• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

P90x

MonkeyDishwasher

<font color=teal>Yes!!! I got the first non-topic
Has anybody else done, or is anybody else doing, the P90X system by Tony Horton?

Holy moley! I'm on Day 4 of the "Lean" program, and man, I have been so sore the past few days! It's kind of awesome that I actually feel better while working out (as the sore muscles are getting a bit more use, and don't have time to hurt).

I keep hearing that people tend to drop off the program around Day 30, and I'm truly hoping I can push through to all 90 days!

yeah, I have been doing it since last Fall, the "Classic" program. The first few weeks are just killer, but you really do start to see improvement after the first month or so. FWIW I have not been doing it "by the book" but rather as the primary part of my workout regimens, which also includes running and some other cardio and yoga videos. Plus, I haven't followed the nutrition plan. As a workout program though, it is top notch.

I started it because I was looking for something to help improve core strength to help get rid of a chronic back issue. It has been fantastic, little to no back issues any more, plus greatly improved overall strength and fitness.

Stick with it, and as Tony says, modify, modify, modify! Keep pressing play...and good luck!

I have been using this program for a little over a year now. It is a great program, if you stick with the full 90 days. The reason most people stop after 30 days is because they forget that it is a 90 day program and think the program is not working because the pounds don't drop off right away. If you are patient and follow the nutrition guide, you will be amazed at what you will look like on day 90.

During my first round, I went from 20% bodyfat down to 8.5%. The biggest changes did not occur until the final 30 days. That is when the fat really melted off.

Bringing this back to life! Dh and I started this yesterday. I can't wait to see the results!

This is a question to you runners, and especially to you kirkson. If you do p90x as it's spelled out in the program, you will be doing those exercises basically every day for an hour or so a day for 90 days. The results won't be the same, as I understand it, if you spread the program out over a longer time, so that you can run.

So, your choices are to double up and do two workouts a day on days when you run, spread the program out, not as it is intended to be done, and run and do p90x, or just stop running while you do p90x.

What do you do?

This is a question to you runners, and especially to you kirkson. If you do p90x as it's spelled out in the program, you will be doing those exercises basically every day for an hour or so a day for 90 days. The results won't be the same, as I understand it, if you spread the program out over a longer time, so that you can run.

So, your choices are to double up and do two workouts a day on days when you run, spread the program out, not as it is intended to be done, and run and do p90x, or just stop running while you do p90x.

What do you do?

When I am training for a race, which typically requires longer runs several times a week, I do the P90X resistance routine one day, and instead of the cardio program, I will run. So, for example, Monday I would do Chest and Back, Tuesday I would run, Wednesday I would do Shoulders and Arms, Thursday Run. Friday would vary, depending on the length of the run I did on Thursday or planned to do Saturday. The next P90X routine would be Legs and Back, which is a great routine, but very tough to do immmediately following AND preceding long runs. So, I might take Friday off, do my long run Saturday, then Yoga on Sunday. Starting the cycle again on Monday. P90X would have you take your day off on Sunday, but since I took it on Friday, I go staight through.

If I am not training for a race, but am running for maintenance, I often DO double up. Especially if its a resistance day. So I might do a 3-4 mile run in the AM and a resistance worout in the PM. This is usually fine, but I will say that running makes the Ab Ripper especially difficult. The first four moves in that routine are tough on the thighs, especially the same day as a run.

When NOT training for a race, I pretty much stick to the P90X program as written. However, I have found that after doing only P90X only for a while, i get a little burned out on it and will mix in some other workouts just for the sake of variety. for example, instead of P90X Yoga, I'll do another Yoga video, or instead of Plyometrics or Kenpo, I'll do another cardio workout.

You are also right that the results won't be as dramatic using this method. Also, I note that if you really want the results you see on the TV spots, you'll need to both follow the program to the letter AND follow the diet. I haven't tried the diet, but I am actually considering it. I'll post here if I try it.

All that said, its a great program, I really am in the best shape of my life at age 37, and there's enough variety in the program and ways to increase intensity as you progress that I am still sore after the workouts, as Tony would say, "in a good way!"

I went and did It I ordered P90X yesterday I should have it Thursday or Friday. I think I am going to wait a week before starting since I am not going to have access to a DVD player for a few days so I figure I will use that as my recovery week and just still hit the treadmill.

I am going to do the Lean Program, I hope to finish 2 rounds before I get into serious training for goofy as with the longer walks I won't have the same amount of time to dedicate to the program.

I am so excited. I have checked the web and am a bit discouraged that none of the before photos of are pooh sized people like me? I am hoping it works to my advantage and I lose even more.....I can dream right?:thumbsup2

I went and did It I ordered P90X yesterday I should have it Thursday or Friday. I think I am going to wait a week before starting since I am not going to have access to a DVD player for a few days so I figure I will use that as my recovery week and just still hit the treadmill.

I am going to do the Lean Program, I hope to finish 2 rounds before I get into serious training for goofy as with the longer walks I won't have the same amount of time to dedicate to the program.

I am so excited. I have checked the web and am a bit discouraged that none of the before photos of are pooh sized people like me? I am hoping it works to my advantage and I lose even more.....I can dream right?:thumbsup2

good luck, just remember to stick with it, it is HARD but stick with it and you will see results pretty quickly. Curious to hear about your experience with the Lean program. It removes some of the harder resistance programs, but emphasizes things like the Yoga session and Core Synergistics, which are really tough (in a good way!).

I think you'll really enjoy it. Just remember, modify and pace yourself. You won;t be able to do what they do. Just do what you can. You'll see steady improvement every time, I promise.

One thing, the website focuses on the blockbuster results, which typically come from folks who were pretty fit to start and became world class fit. The latest infomercial, however, has a great example of someone who was over 100 lbs overweight and is now in incredible shape after (I think?) one full year of p90x.

For those runners on P90X: If you can do P90x and maintain a run training program you are HARDCORE. I did 2 13 week sessions of P90x and loved it. I couldn't keep the diet, but I really didn't need to. My normal walking around weight is 155. During the 26 weeks I did P90x I added a bunch of muscle. I actually went up to 161 and found my shirts were tight around the chest and arms.

The great thing about the workout is that you can tailor it to suit your needs. I was looking to add a little mass, and get ripped. I must say it did just that. I was in great shape to begin with and P90x helped to get me to the next level. I was able to do 4-7 mile runs 3 days a week while doing P90X, but it was more leisurely paced runs.

I am an avid marathoner and I attempted to keep up the weight routine as I began training for my next marathon, but I couldn't get a quality workout or run in. I was not able to really hit the weights or the runs at the intensity I needed. My 40 year old body just can't handle it.

I am in the last week of training for the Boston Marathon and I really miss the P90x. All of my gains from the routine are gone and I am back to having a runners body at a svelt 145lbs. I am gunning for a 3:07 time at Boston and it so much harder to carry upper body mass. Afterwards I hope to do a round of the X to get some meat on these bones.

So if you are running to simply add some extra cardio or even preparing for a shorter distance race, P90X is a great compliment. In fact, during my second go round I competed on a 4 man team at the Marine Mud challenge in Belmont, SC and won the race! Extremely fun and rewarding beating all those young whipper-snappers.

I would say if you are training for a half or longer, put the P90x on hold and refocus on your race.P90x gave me a great base to start marathon training. The plyo and leg routine really gave me great leg strength and the yoga and stretching discs really improved my flexiblity.

P90X is a top notch workout.

Dave

Thanks guys for your reviews.

Kim, good luck with this. I really look forward to hearing your review too.

I'd like to play, just can't seem to part with the pennies. Most of my pennies are going to my halfs lately.

Well my program didn't come in as expected, apparently this week:confused: anyways a friend of mine lent me some of the tapes so I could kinda start. I did plyo yesterday.....LOVED IT. Today I did shoulders and arms and I don't think I used enough weights cause I really can't say I worked any exercise to fatique but wanted to get through the entire tape first...and not knowing what to expect I thought I should go light but will up it a bit next week.

My plan is to do the P90X in the AM and my walking training in the PM. Just not enough time to do them together, as I am sooo not a morning person..I get up really early but I am lazy in the morning so this is a good thing for me.

Took photos....nasty, measurements....nasty. Time to see some change

I'm at -15 pounds!

3 weeks till 90 days is over.... I think I'l ltake a week off, and then start the regular program.

Hey, I started Insanity last week. Also by Beachbody, but is only 60 days and does not use weights - totally cardio.

I have got to say, I LOVE this workout series!! The first day was an eye opener as I was gassed just doing the warmup (and still somewhat am)! This is an excellent workout program, and I don't mind taking a break from running.

I have also changed my diet based somewhat on the suggestions in the book, but I'm not as strict about the exact foods. I am limiting myself to 1800-2000 calories a day, which is what I'm supposed to according to the standards in the book for a person my size to lose weight.

This was a really great thing for me, and I'm already seeing and feeling results. Day one for me was Sunday rather than Monday, so Saturdays are my days off from Insanity, and I use that day to run as long as I can, and I try to double up one day a week and do Insanity in the early morning, and run in the evening.

Y'all keep up the good work!

thanks, i've been thinking about tryinmg insanity, glad to hear you like it so much

congrats to MD for the completion of the program and the great results!

good luck pw2!

I'm on week 2 of P90X- so far I'm liking it (except Plyometrics-yuck!)...you don't seem to get bored because it's a different routine each day of the week.

DH had great results with it his first time around- lost 22 pounds- looks great!

We both get up at 5am to workout (yah- I know- WAY too early) but we get it out of the way and start our day! We're also doing the diet- right now I'm level 2 Fat Shredder...it's tough only having one carb a day, but I lost over 3 lbs my first week!

Good luck! we should post each week and see how things are coming along!

I had a girlfriend do it and she looks absolutely amazing. I was always tempted to try, but I guess with anything, it is really 30% effort and the rest mental. If I could get over my mental block to alot of things, I would match how I want to look in my head.

Hey, I started Insanity last week. Also by Beachbody, but is only 60 days and does not use weights - totally cardio.

I have got to say, I LOVE this workout series!! The first day was an eye opener as I was gassed just doing the warmup (and still somewhat am)! This is an excellent workout program, and I don't mind taking a break from running.

I have also changed my diet based somewhat on the suggestions in the book, but I'm not as strict about the exact foods. I am limiting myself to 1800-2000 calories a day, which is what I'm supposed to according to the standards in the book for a person my size to lose weight.

This was a really great thing for me, and I'm already seeing and feeling results. Day one for me was Sunday rather than Monday, so Saturdays are my days off from Insanity, and I use that day to run as long as I can, and I try to double up one day a week and do Insanity in the early morning, and run in the evening.

Y'all keep up the good work!

How is Insanity going?

I have a little over two weeks left. The first month was not so bad as I did a few of the workouts prior to starting the full program. The Max workouts for the last 4 weeks are freaking crazy. I thought I was going to die during the first couple of days. I am a bit more used to them now, but I find myself cursing at the Shaun T whenever a new set starts up. I am very happy with the results that I have had so far. Most of which have come in just hte last two weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter