Overripe fruit

with my bananas, I make two ingredient cookies. Mashed up banana and quick oats to form a thick sticky dough. I add in vanilla, almond, cinnamon and some chocolate or butterscotch chips. Bake 350 for 15 minutes. they are kinda gooey but super yummy. They don't last well though, so I only make enough for the day.
OOOH I think I'm going to try these later this week

OK, so I had to deal with car stuff so they didn't get into the freezer yet and bananas are now at the "thought it was trash at this point" so cream pie with this batch it will be tomorrow - thanks for the recipe. There will need to be just a crumble of oreo for the chocolate and powdered sugar instead of caster sugar - I do have knox gelatin for some reason. We'll see what happens. My daughter a banana for a smoothie & I love other ideas from here too. I don't see ice cream in my future so maybe I'll try some of the frozen ideas.

DD's boyfriend's family kindly offered to shop for me and so I now have a new batch which I am hoping will go before old but who knows.

Last edited:
Why does the milk need to be ready to expire?

It doesn't:)...but when I see my milk ready to expire, and there's more milk left than my kids will drink, that's when I reach for my frozen bananas for smoothie time, killing 2 birds with one stone (not wasting my milk and using the bananas I didn't want wasted and clearing freezer space:))...

I don't tend to use my frozen bananas when my milk is fresh and just bought, in case my kids go through it too fast...

I always put bananas in the fridge as soon as I buy them (slightly green) and they keep a lot longer. The peel turns black, but the bananas are fine inside. If I happen to keep them too long, they go into the freezer peel and all with no wrapping. They make the best banana bread which rises twice as high. If they are left in the freezer too long they get cut up and put into my flower beds to fertilize the plants.

Cinnamon Apple Baked Oatmeal - I used two riper apples in this recipe. Nice for breakfast or a healthy snack throughout the day.

uncooked old fashioned oats 2 1⁄4cup(s)
packed brown sugar 1⁄4cup(s)
ground cinnamon 2tsp
baking powder 1tsp
table salt 1⁄4tsp

fat free skim milk 1 1⁄3cup(s)
water 3⁄4cup(s)
vanilla extract 1tsp
egg(s) 2large
fresh apple(s) 2medium, unpeeled, cored, and shredded
cooking spray 4 spray(s)
chopped pecans 1⁄3cups

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, stir together oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, water, vanilla, and eggs. Stir milk mixture into oats mixture; fold in shredded apples.
  2. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with nonstick spray. Sprinkle pecans evenly over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375°F until set, 25 to 30 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces and serve warm with berries.

I forgot about choc covered banana! YUM!
Thanks for the apple baked oatmeal recipe - I discovered a bunch of steel milled oats in the cabinet my health conscious kid bought then determined took too much effort! or what do you think if I used some of the older granola cereal since its already seasoned? I will report back
I will try to get bananas into the fridge, my family wanted the trendier side by side fridge and I just can't fit nearly as much now
I like the smoothie out of aging milk!

I just threw out the last 1/3 lemon I was using and I feel such guilt over ordering things now. Not sure if I could have done something with it... Maybe a mini lemon bar treat or something like it I can whip up for an after dinner treat. I have a recipe for lemon bar - maybe I can make it smaller and serve like a cookie on a graham cracker

I am contemplating trying to dry this new lemons rind and drizzle with chocolate - I know dried orange peel is amazing with chocolate.

My guilt is propelling my creativity, I KNOW I didn't do anything but I FEEL some tinges of guilt. I know I need to spend to keep things going but there is a weird barrier I can't quite put my finger on lately, I keep wondering am I keeping it from someone else who needs it more, am I driving up prices - How in the world would I know

Last edited:
I forgot about choc covered banana! YUM!
Thanks for the apple baked oatmeal recipe - I discovered a bunch of steel milled oats in the cabinet my health conscious kid bought then determined took too much effort! or what do you think if I used some of the older granola cereal since its already seasoned? I will report back
I will try to get bananas into the fridge, my family wanted the trendier side by side fridge and I just can't fit nearly as much now
I like the smoothie out of aging milk!

I just threw out the last 1/3 lemon I was using and I feel such guilt over ordering things now. Not sure if I could have done something with it... Maybe a mini lemon bar treat or something like it I can whip up for an after dinner treat. I have a recipe for lemon bar - maybe I can make it smaller and serve like a cookie on a graham cracker

I am contemplating trying to dry this new lemons rind and drizzle with chocolate - I know dried orange peel is amazing with chocolate.

My guilt is propelling my creativity, I KNOW I didn't do anything but I FEEL some tinges of guilt. I know I need to spend to keep things going but there is a weird barrier I can't quite put my finger on lately, I keep wondering am I keeping it from someone else who needs it more, am I driving up prices - How in the world would I know

Anytime you have excess lemon, you can toss it in a cup of tea or water...just like a restaurant...or, a nice glass of vodka with a sugared rim if you feel you'd like something stronger:)...

Anyone have any ideas for oranges?

I've seen a few cheesecake recipes, anyone have one they like?

Anyone have any ideas for oranges?

I've seen a few cheesecake recipes, anyone have one they like?

I just made orange marmalade yesterday - I halved this recipe and cooked it WAY longer (and threw in a tsp of plain gelatin vs doing the membrane/seeds as pectin thing). Kids love it...and I'm using half of it as the "jelly" for my cocktail meatballs today...

https://www.thespruceeats.com/orange-marmalade-recipe-2215976 - PS - I used 3 navel oranges, 2 blood oranges, 2 cups water and 3 cups sugar...and I think I just boiled it and then cooked on a simmer for almost an hour (adding the gelatin about 1/2 way through when I didn't think it would come together...but checking it this morning, it was perfect in consistency and tasted so good on my toast:)...

If this is too much, I also made a olive oil citrus cake that came out amazing in a regular 9 inch square pan (just use parchment and spray it and cook til done - check every 5 minutes with a toothpick at the 35 minute point) - it's naturally dairy free, so I loved it - and you can use any citrus (I comboed oranges and lemons) - https://www.splendidtable.org/recip...Bj0OY5owXx62bNkzroP6IOuEsi7Lb5pW9f1E57D1gzLnM I did not even need powdered sugar at the end...PS - It's a great cake for tea...(not too sweet, but light and citrusy, and perfect for an afternoon tea or light breakfast/dessert)...

Edit to Add: - And fresh oranges make a great orange julius smoothie - juice them, add a banana, add something vanilla (extract, vanilla ice cream, vanilla yogurt), add some milk, and some ice (and sweetner if you went with extract - not if you went with ice cream:)...it's a great use up:)...

Last edited:
I just made orange marmalade yesterday - I halved this recipe and cooked it WAY longer (and threw in a tsp of plain gelatin vs doing the membrane/seeds as pectin thing). Kids love it...and I'm using half of it as the "jelly" for my cocktail meatballs today...

https://www.thespruceeats.com/orange-marmalade-recipe-2215976 - PS - I used 3 navel oranges, 2 blood oranges, 2 cups water and 3 cups sugar...and I think I just boiled it and then cooked on a simmer for almost an hour (adding the gelatin about 1/2 way through when I didn't think it would come together...but checking it this morning, it was perfect in consistency and tasted so good on my toast:)...

If this is too much, I also made a olive oil citrus cake that came out amazing in a regular 9 inch square pan (just use parchment and spray it and cook til done - check every 5 minutes with a toothpick at the 35 minute point) - it's naturally dairy free, so I loved it - and you can use any citrus (I comboed oranges and lemons) - https://www.splendidtable.org/recip...Bj0OY5owXx62bNkzroP6IOuEsi7Lb5pW9f1E57D1gzLnM I did not even need powdered sugar at the end...PS - It's a great cake for tea...(not too sweet, but light and citrusy, and perfect for an afternoon tea or light breakfast/dessert)...

Edit to Add: - And fresh oranges make a great orange julius smoothie - juice them, add a banana, add something vanilla (extract, vanilla ice cream, vanilla yogurt), add some milk, and some ice (and sweetner if you went with extract - not if you went with ice cream:)...it's a great use up:)...

This is a wonderful idea! I love orange marmalade & Saucy Susan on white meats but they go bad so fast and they have been hard to come by lately! Also I love orange julius, we only ever got them at Newark Airport on our way to WDW because we don't have one near us in PA - never thought I could do it, my family will like the treat. Thank you!

I haven’t tried this recipe yet but these look delish!

https://www.browneyedbaker.com/orange-cookies-recipe/

I tried cookies Sunday and they ended up too browned and got rejected by everyone but me so these might make up for it, thank you so much!

Ohhh, I noticed a link on the page for orange sherbert, I'm going to try this too!

Last edited:
My grandmother always made baked apples... I have a recipe somewhere for them... I will look to see if I can find it... You can use pears as well..

Fried apples go well with pork... core, peel, cinnamon sugar and saute` to desired softness...

You can grill fruit... we do it all the time... pineapples, peaches, pears... I do it on skewer... you can sorta baste it with a simple syrup, with some citrus squeezed in it my family like orange or tangerine juice squeezed in... or a sweet fruity wine added into the simple syrup.. you want the consistency of the simple syrup to be just a bit sticky... If you don't want to baste make sure to spray the grill with some sort of cooking spray... make sure the gas and heat is turned off... or can do it in a grill pan make sure to spray so that the fruit doesn't stick...

You can also use up berries and make topping for pound cake, ice cream... two ways I use up berries, just stem and cut up, adding sugar to help break down and create some juice... or put in a pan on low heat, with sugar and some water or sweet fruity wine just cover the fruit and simmer until the berries break down, and reduce...
I like to make lemon pound cake (in a loaf pan), then slice the pound cake and put out it on the grill to just thoroughly heated, the grill marks look so nice then use the berries either way as the topping...

You can freeze grapes... I do this alot in the summer time here in Florida, they are super refreshing...

Use up lemons, and limes, really any citrus to create flavored iced tea's, or even hot tea... you can make lemonade...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter