Outgrowing Disney

My adult children never “outgrew” Disney. Even as teens we visited Universal and even though there were rides they liked, they still thought Disney was better. We could only afford to go every 2-3 years so it kept it fresh and exciting to look forward to the trip. The kids even liked bringing their friends along to introduce them to the parks. Going in January 2023 with 3 of my 4 kids and their families. (Oldest couldn’t go) The magic doesn’t have to be lost, I feel it actually grew through the years. We have so many great memories and it all started with my parents taking me as a kid.

My kids are 27 and 29 and both still love Disney. I went with ds last July and I am going with dd in May.

I am 58. I outgrew Disney around 16 years old.
Then I grew back into it, as I came to appreciate the story telling aspect of the dark rides, vs the thrill ride aspect.

To an extent, Disney has now abandoned some of the immersive details that regained my interest.

My son was about 12 when Disney got boring. He'd much prefer just going to a beach and sleeping in. I don't think he's been back since he was 14. (There were a few years where Universal would tempt him). He's now 24.

My youngest last went when they were 16 - and then went to Disneyland for a first trip at 20 (they are now 23). They still like it, but its hard to plan around college schedules and work.

And when we can plan around college schedules and work with two young adults, Disney isn't a huge priority for any of us.

I'm 50 and have never 'outgrown' it, I've kept the magic since a young lad when fortunate to visit a couple of times, and then with my own kids as an adult. My kids have visited regularly since small and now they are 20 & 22 and still have the magic. Our most recent trip last month was purely Dis, with no visits to Uni this time around- as much as they love Uni, Dis is where it's at for our hearts. My Mum is 73 and still loves visiting the parks, she has the magic within her still... age is but a number, keep the magic alive inside you...

Of course us adults were all kids that mostly never outgrew it as others have pointed out. So, it's not a "given event".

Like others, i have a 19 year old son who never outgrew it and still wants to go whenever I can take him and he doesn't have classes.
I also have a 22 year old step daughter who can take it or leave it. She was very princessy when she was younger, but grew out of that, too. Mainly though I do not think it's a content thing as she just isn't that into theme parks (but I think they enjoys amusement parks okay).

As for me, I will never outgrow Disney - it was there for too many important moments in my life. Whether or not Disney grows to the point that it's no longer the place I knew is another question. There are certainly times I have been upset with Disney... but I have not outgrown it - yet.

I think you have a long time to go! My kids are 9 and 5. We are all enthralled with the place. We talk about Disney related things everyday. It's insane. I only went as a very little kid with my parents and don't remember a thing. My husband and I visited Disney Springs (at the time) and just explored the monorail and riding around. Never went into a park, but I was HOOKED. Riding monorail past MK and I was in for the long haul. Had kids and here we are, as insane about Disney as ever. I imagine I'll be either walking slowly or scootering to Disney well into the future.

When did your kids outgrow Disney? I have two boys. One is 4 years old and really into thrill rides and the other is 20 months. I have a feeling they will be more into Universal in the future (which makes me super sad because I love Disney!)

Trying to gauge how much time I have left 😭
Trust me, what you think your 4 yr old and 20 month old will like and enjoy as they age is going to throw you for a few loops!! LOL

I would say around 9. They referred to them as ‘kiddie’ rides and wanted to try a real rollercoaster not a ‘roller coaster type ride’ (if you listen to the announcements in the queue that is what Disney calls them) now at 21 and 16 they enjoy Epcot and the atmosphere but still want ‘real rides’ in their words. We tend to go to Disney as a couple and universal as a family.

There really is no good answer for that as everyone is different. Our son is 24 and still loves it. He has lots of friends that do as well. Whenever we aren't going to use all of our DVC points for family trips, he has no problem rounding up a gang to fly down for a long weekend to use them up. But I also know people who's kids never really got into it at all or did outgrow it as they got older. It just depends on the person.

Son outgrew Disney at 13. Took one more trip with us when we agreed he could bring a friend. He's never been back. Our daughter's last trip was a mom/daughter trip celebrating her college graduation. That was 12 years ago. She's never been back. Both "kids" are now 35 years old (twins). We have no grandchildren (one due soon), but I still don't see Disney as a priority to them. My husband, has given up on Disney for his own reasons plus all the crowds/park changes. I've managed to convince him to continue "Disney Golf" trips. I'm on the edge, but still drawn to the light. :D

We're still all good at 11, and he's very excited about water parks and thrill rides. We have also started to add two days at Universal for Harry Potter. I assume he'll grow bored of being with us, but not bored of being at Disney. He's an only child, so we've always intended that we'd bring a friend once he hit the age where parents are things you can't admit to having.

My personal experience is that I've never lost interest. My first trip was in 1973, and we went very regularly until I graduated from college in the early 90s. I skipped about a decade in which I could not really afford a Disney trip like my parents used to do, but then started again. Eventually we bought DVC and now bring my dad too.

I suppose you won't know until you know.

I've always loved Disney growing up, but I really grew into wanting to be at the Parks as a young adult. I have a 13 and 5 yo and they love going, but our trips aren't really centered around rides as much as just hanging out at the parks and EPCOT festivals. We recently bought DVC and I did it more so for vacations as we get older, not just for our kids while they're young. We talk about being able to take trips without the kids, and being able to finally try all the signature restaurants that we want to do, without the picky eaters. I have a good friend who is also DVC, and we've done girls only trips, and plan on doing a couple's one in the future. For us Disney is just our place to relax and not think, and if our kids still want to join us when they get older, that's great, but we'll still be going several times a year regardless.

My kids are 40 and 43 and still love it . And as their mother, I still do too!!

My kids are 15 and 12, and they can’t wait for Disney… I think they are more excited for it than Christmas (we arrive Dec 30). During COVI, when I asked them #1 trip post COVID, both voted for Disney (over Europe, anywhere in the world). For them, it’s just a fun and easy trip. It gets harder with school, etc, so we have learned to live with crowds and go over Christmas break, since it’s the easiest time to fit things in.

You have a lot of time left. Our DD stopped loving it at 24 years old. She loved our trips using the points we bought in 2007. We kept adding on and then started buying APs. We kept her AP during COVID and she went with us on only 4 days this year. She doesn’t want to use her PTO or pay to board her dog for Disney trips. She wants to do other trips to other places. We pay for everything at WDW and get 1 or 2 bedrooms. I’m disappointed but it is what it is. We still enjoy it without her. Live your life as you want to. Just like they will live theirs when they are grown.

Our kids are 25 and 29 and still enjoy Disney almost as much as we do. Both have joined us many times at WDW, including with their spouses.

I think there's a difference between not finding the parks as fun or as important (especially when comparing to other destinations) and outgrowing Disney as a company.

The OP's kids are way too young but there are some kids that are young and just don't want to go to the parks or as much as they had been in the past. Having DVC may change the dynamics a bit but that's something I think is more likely to happen than full on outgrowing something.

Although a PP is correct that some don't like it from the beginning others do. My husband's family couldn't care less about Disney parks, it's not interesting to them. Universal for 2 of them yes but not for the 3 days we often do, that's considered too much theme park time.

Everyone has different interests, when they are that young they won't know all that is around them at the parks to necessarily know that it feels different. But as they age their likes and dislikes may signal they love still going or they've moved on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter