Outdoor weddings and rain....

kdonnel

DVC-BCV
My niece is getting married this weekend outdoors and the weather forecast is not encouraging.

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 3.26.38 PM.png

Have you attended or been part of an outdoor wedding that was impacted by rain?

The venue only has one place indoors large enough to hold the wedding and the reception. So I assume the backup plan is to use the indoor space at the venue for the wedding but I am not sure how it will then be converted into the reception with all the guests present.

I might be getting wet Saturday.

My wedding was in early May. We considered an outdoor venue but looked at weather history and saw there was a small chance it could rain that day. It turned out to be a good plan because it basically poured all day! It magically seemed to stop whenever I went from the car to the church and reception.

About a year later, I was a bridesmaid in my
friend’s wedding. They had an outdoor ceremony and it rained the whole night before. Several guests grabbed towels and wiped off the chairs as best they could. Walking down the aisle was interesting with a plastic aisle runner over the squishy ground. It didn’t rain during the ceremony, but poured during the indoor reception.

A friend’s son got married at an outdoor venue in Roswell, GA. There was an inside space, but it was set up already for the reception. And was pretty small.

They started the ceremony with the threat of imminent rain. Didn’t get too far before it started to pour. Everyone ran inside and mingled until the rain stopped enough to finish the ceremony. Not sure what would have happened if there wasn’t a break in the rain!

Fun time though - even with the added rain element!

Our wedding was early Nay, church ceremony and indoor/outdoor reception (large tent) at a historic mansion. Our guest list (75ish?) was based on how many would be comfortable if it rained (beautiful spring day, low 70’s).

I attended an outdoor wedding in Iowa in October. The weather was rainy the days before the wedding and finally cleared up late the morning of the wedding.

But then it was windy with 40 degree temperature and 30 something wind-chill. This Southern girl was amused to see the native Midwesterners chilly.

The wedding was fast and we hurried inside the barn.

Alternative plan was for wedding to also be in the barn.

In that setting, it was casual and all the groomsmen and bridesmaids and their families did all the moving, set up and clean up.

I would imagine if it started raining during the wedding we would have pulled together to move the wedding ceremony inside.

I have only been to a few outdoor weddings. Thankfully it never rained. A couple of them were miserably hot. One of them was pretty darn cold.

The outdoor wedding receptions I’ve been to have all been held under a large tent, which of course works as shelter from either hot sun or rain. I went to one that was planned for an indoor reception preceded by outdoor ceremony and cocktail hour on the property in a garden. Thunderstorms forced the ceremony indoors in a small and somewhat cramped space but after that, was fine when everyone moved to the larger ballroom. I would expect most wedding venues to have a plan B, which may not be ideal but should be adequate.

I went to one a few years ago at a Country Club. The ceremony was supposed to be outdoors and then the reception in the clubhouse. It poured down rain, so they went ahead and had people sit at the reception tables and had the ceremony on the dance floor.

our wedding was schedualed during one of the longest droughts in california history. the day of the wedding it started pouring rain-the local news referred to it as 'the march miracle'. our wedding and reception were indoors but separated by a courtyard-people were fairly damp at the reception (and we had a number of no-shows b/c of flooding roads).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter