• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Out of state APs - renew or wait?

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
I am out of state and have a Platinum AP that expires at the end of March - so very soon.

Have circular debates with myself about whether to renew for the 15% discount or just wait to get the extra months on my AP. I am here at WDW in February and thinking I may not come again until September. Or maybe not even until December.

I do feel a little itchy at the thought of not having an AP lol.

Last year around this time, I would have been hesitant to not renew because of the concern they might stop selling the APs again. That concern at WDW seems to have diminished quite a lot, so not renewing would not be based on that issue. If it makes sense for your travel plans, and you don't mind changing your expiration date (possibly until December, if you wait that long), why not perhaps save a few dollars. What you could do, perhaps, is wait until May (after you can no longer renew), and buy the new one - you'll get the certificate for the AP, good for a year from purchase. Then you'll have an AP cert and could activate it in Sept or Dec, but use it for park reservations (if those continue to be a requirement for our APs). That way, you still sorta have one!! You're still going to spend the money (without the 15% renew discount), but you'll have a pass that won't expire until December of 2025! I guess it really depends on how much you plan to use it next year.....! Is the extra money worth it to change your current AP from expiring March, 2025 - and have it expire December, 2025? Not sure I've helped at all....! But I am familiar with these calculations!!

Last year around this time, I would have been hesitant to not renew because of the concern they might stop selling the APs again. That concern at WDW seems to have diminished quite a lot, so not renewing would not be based on that issue. If it makes sense for your travel plans, and you don't mind changing your expiration date (possibly until December, if you wait that long), why not perhaps save a few dollars. What you could do, perhaps, is wait until May (after you can no longer renew), and buy the new one - you'll get the certificate for the AP, good for a year from purchase. Then you'll have an AP cert and could activate it in Sept or Dec, but use it for park reservations (if those continue to be a requirement for our APs). That way, you still sorta have one!! You're still going to spend the money (without the 15% renew discount), but you'll have a pass that won't expire until December of 2025! I guess it really depends on how much you plan to use it next year.....! Is the extra money worth it to change your current AP from expiring March, 2025 - and have it expire December, 2025? Not sure I've helped at all....! But I am familiar with these calculations!!
It’s the constant Mickey math - always wants to make me open my wallet wider!

How many trips will you get if you renew your annual pass? I usually need at least two trips to make the renewal worthwhile. Otherwise an expiration date reset is in order. It doesn't appear that there is the same level of concern about passes being pulled as there was a year ago, so I believe thanxfornoticin has captured the pro's and cons.

I’m pretty sure I’ll get benefit from having an AP. The timing is the question. Lots of pros and cons to consider.

Not considering the (now pretty remote, it seems) possibility of Disney suspending sales, or the possibility (probability?) of a price increase, the "math" says that if you aren't going to use it for over 2 months (15% of a year), you should wait, and buy new even though you lose the discount. That would especially be true if you have more trips planned that would be covered by an expiration date reset.

But I get it -- I'd get itchy if I had months with no active AP! I am also out of state, but I've had an AP continuously for about 7 years now. My situation is a little different, because I use it for work trips (in fact, my company pays for it), so I renew each year. I like @thanxfornoticin idea about buying it as soon as your renewal window ends, to hopefully avoid any price increases, and to have it in your account to book park reservations and get resort discounts.

I am out of state and have a Platinum AP that expires at the end of March - so very soon.

Have circular debates with myself about whether to renew for the 15% discount or just wait to get the extra months on my AP. I am here at WDW in February and thinking I may not come again until September. Or maybe not even until December.

I do feel a little itchy at the thought of not having an AP lol.
Correct me if I am wrong, but a renewal does not mean activation. You can renew when your window has opened, however the 1 year clock on the AP itself does not start until you activate the AP (use it the first time).

Correct me if I am wrong, but a renewal does not mean activation. You can renew when your window has opened, however the 1 year clock on the AP itself does not start until you activate the AP (use it the first time).
Renewals start the day after your current AP expires, regardless of usage.

New APs are activated upon first use. They'll be good for a year from that first-use date. The renewals are good for 12 months and have the same expiration date as the original AP (except one year later, of course).

Price increases is another consideration. Seems to be guaranteed to happen annually *sigh*

Anyone know when the last AP increase was?

Price increases is another consideration. Seems to be guaranteed to happen annually *sigh*

Anyone know when the last AP increase was?
October of last year, the same day they announced the return of all day park hopping as well to mask it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter