Out Of State APs Continue To Take A Beating

Im sure airfare stinks for many. I was responding to the OP, who stated he is from Boston, as I am. Im familiar with the flight schedules and prices to MCO from here and the $2000 he stated just seemed way off. I have seen it though from Alaskan Airlines and Copa, where you fly from Boston, make a stop in Alaska or Panama, then to MCO. Typically trip is over 24 hours...not sure who would actually buy it! Maybe the OP??

I do get it. Perhaps OP was purchasing when tickets were very high? Speaking for myself, I've recouped over $700 of travel vouchers because I've been watching the falling prices. Hopefully OP (and everyone else getting ready for trip) is watching and can recoup on their paid fees, too.

Anyway - this changes nothing for us oyt of towners. It's a small (rather normal) price increase but otherwise nothing much changes between the Platinum Pass and the Incredi Pass that I can tell. Out of towners were never entitled to any other APs other than the DVC Gold Pass.
I agree with you on the local pricing for all the reasons you mention.

I disagree about the AP pricing for DVC members being a rather normal increase though; I understand you meant in general it's a relatively normal AP price increase. The top tier pass now has no DVC discount, an increase of 55% from the old platinumm pass to the Inredi-pass ($957.44 to $1299+99 for photos+ tax $1488.87). The gold to sorcerer pass is a 31% increase ($765.73 to $899+99plus tax $1004.44). When one starts to think of G+ on top of it, it's a large increase for DVC.

And I would not expect them to - that is standard practice. I never said that FL residents should not get a discount - they pay a lot of taxes that support both Disney and Universal and all the other tourist stuff.

I think the issue here is I was responding to a completely different issue than you're talking about so...

That is news to me since I had an AP for many years - maybe they only offer top tier recently.

I've had an AP on and off for many years. They've only ever had 2 options for non-residents - one included water parks, one didn't. Neither had black out dates. Since water parks aren't included now, there's no need for 2 different passes. We've never had the option to pay in payments.

IThat is news to me since I had an AP for many years - maybe they only offer top tier recently.

platinum and platinum plus were the only
Options for out of starters (non dvc) at least since 2016 (when I started paying attention). I have no idea if people were grandfathered in from early years from a different program.

Looking hard at Universal now though - Might make sense

We just went down for a quick trip 2 weeks ago. Had to do a couple of college visits w/ my senior!

We went to Disney for 3 nights and spend 5 nights off site. There were 3 of us. Me, DD and her boy (space) friend! I got him his own room.

Disney 3 night portion
2 rooms at Contemporary
3 day theme park tix
Boo Bash tix
Meals a 8 TS (not all together.. I ate at some solo and they ate together at others..met up for dinners only)
Cost - $5500
This did not include snacks, souvenirs, the 1 day photo pass for $70 I got because it was his first trip, or balloon ride at DS

Off Site 5 night portion
2 rooms at Embassy Suites (huge room/suite bdrm + living room
Included large hot buffet breakfast
Included "happy hour" every evening from 5:00 - 6:30pm with alcohol/light apps
1 day at Discovery Cove w/ dolphin swim including all meals/snacks/alcohol
2 days at Seaworld (one day I bought the all day meal pass)
1 day at Aquatica w/ cabana rental
10 meals including 2 in DS
Cost - $3300
Our pass to SeaWorld and Aquatica was for 14 days, but we only used it 3. Parking was included. Granted one night we at at Friendly's and another Olive Garden, but the rest were decent places for lunch and dinner.

I really wonder why I go to Disney! Im definitely doing split stays in the future of off site/on site...but the 10 day tix value at Disney gets me every time!

I do get it. Perhaps OP was purchasing when tickets were very high? Speaking for myself, I've recouped over $700 of travel vouchers because I've been watching the falling prices. Hopefully OP (and everyone else getting ready for trip) is watching and can recoup on their paid fees, too.

OP clarified it was for his family. Not just one ticket.

Out of state Passholder Family here - this was our 4th year, and would have continued to be loyal Disney folks - but we are done as Passholders after ours expire in March.

I just checked out Universal's Deluxe resorts and the pricing and benefits, and Disney isn't even close! For our annual vacation budget, we can skip our Disney trips (we've been doing three week-long trips all onsite and a couple weekends each year), and do a super nice week at Universal with all the perks included and a much easier system, an exploring trip (Glacier/Grand Teton for example), a nice beachfront week, still have lots of room left over in the budget - maybe for a 4 day trip to Discovery Cove/Seaworld - all that and still less expensive than Disney - and that's with Pop/Art/Coronado resort stays.

Maybe we'll do one 5-6 day trip every other year, as my daughter LOVES Disney, but even she is feeling super disappointed - so many things eliminated or changed in ways that minimize the experience for our family (EMH, LMH, Magical Express, Free/Discounted Dining, REAL park hopping, FastPass, fireworks at 3 parks, characters...you all know the list - and now, extra $$$ for Memory Maker). If we keep our now rare Disney trip to an off-season time, then we might not have to deal with the nightmare of all the new changes - which (for us) destroy the immersion, imagination, and escape of Disney - which is the whole reason we love it. I despise needing to have my phone out while wandering the parks - another reason I loved Memory Maker and planned FastPass.

Plenty of other places to spend our vacation dollars - I'm just sad. Lots of memories at this place. Time to make new ones somewhere else.

We just went down for a quick trip 2 weeks ago. Had to do a couple of college visits w/ my senior!

We went to Disney for 3 nights and spend 5 nights off site. There were 3 of us. Me, DD and her boy (space) friend! I got him his own room.

Disney 3 night portion
2 rooms at Contemporary
3 day theme park tix
Boo Bash tix
Meals a 8 TS (not all together.. I ate at some solo and they ate together at others..met up for dinners only)
Cost - $5500
This did not include snacks, souvenirs, the 1 day photo pass for $70 I got because it was his first trip, or balloon ride at DS

Off Site 5 night portion
2 rooms at Embassy Suites (huge room/suite bdrm + living room
Included large hot buffet breakfast
Included "happy hour" every evening from 5:00 - 6:30pm with alcohol/light apps
1 day at Discovery Cove w/ dolphin swim including all meals/snacks/alcohol
2 days at Seaworld (one day I bought the all day meal pass)
1 day at Aquatica w/ cabana rental
10 meals including 2 in DS
Cost - $3300
Our pass to SeaWorld and Aquatica was for 14 days, but we only used it 3. Parking was included. Granted one night we at at Friendly's and another Olive Garden, but the rest were decent places for lunch and dinner.

I really wonder why I go to Disney! Im definitely doing split stays in the future of off site/on site...but the 10 day tix value at Disney gets me every time!

We are likely looking at a Discovery Cove/Seaworld vacation in 2022. One of the most amazing places every - different kind of "magic" - but an amazing value compared to Disney these days. I did the same math as yours, and wondered the same thing - why am I going to Disney anymore? The magic and memories have kept me coming back, but now?

The only thing I was confused on was only being able to hold 5 days of park reservations at a time. So if a family (out of town or Florida resident) is staying at a Disney property, they can only book up to 5 park day reservations at a time? What if it's a 7 to 10 day trip? They're just hoping for openings when they are there then?
I thought they said if you are staying on property . You can have that many days of park res.

I'm not happy as a Florida resident, I was prepared to pay my 550 for a silver pass. I knew it might go up a little but not this much. I'm not sure what to do. Spent the morning watching Uni videos I can get top tier AP at Universal for 500 but I'm not sure if I will be happy settling.

I don't ever recall seeing any AP offered to OOS except the top tier except if you were DVC then you had 2 options.
The price change didn't surprise me much, just disappointed that they took out perks that have been part of APs for years.
So I had mine for many years around the mid 2000 id guess - and there were three levels - you did not have to buy the highest level
Its was slightly more expensive than a 7 day hopper - now its about twice a 7 day hopper

I've had an AP on and off for many years. They've only ever had 2 options for non-residents - one included water parks, one didn't. Neither had black out dates. Since water parks aren't included now, there's no need for 2 different passes. We've never had the option to pay in payments.

Agree. We have had AP for well over ten years. We were out of state AP and now in state AP. We were able to get the "Premium" or the "Premium Plus" which added water parks etc. Once we gained FL Resident status we had other options. I don't see this top tier as any different for OOS, you either get it as is like a Premium or you get it with Water Park add on like a Premium Plus.

Blog Mickey did a great comparison that simplifies it ...

https://blogmickey.com/2021/08/annual-pass-price-increases-2021/

And years ago they introduced the Premier Pass which was for WDW and DL, very few bought that but perhaps some counted it as an option making the Premium look low on the list.

Last edited:
I think there are two main reasons why they give the big discounts to the locals.

• I think a lot of locals would hardly ever go if they had to pay full price. Yes, when they first move there it’s all sweetness and light, but after a year or two living in or around Orlando, it might get old. (If they had to pay full price)

• Related to the above, maybe they sell a lot of Florida Resident Annual Passes each year to people who have had one, don’t go to the parks that often, but don’t want to give it up just in case a hot new attraction opens up and they want to go for one day to try it out, or they want it for when friends or relatives come down. They want to go with them to the parks, but don’t want to pay extra.
If I’m right, this is a terrific income stream for Disney, maybe the perfect income stream. People who buy and renew a Resident pass because it’s such a deal, but seldom use it.

I am aware that the Disneyland in California is a completely different situation.
There are very few locals who have passes or even go to WDW. It is too expensive, even with discounts. There are quite a few CM's who had never been to the parks before getting a job there. I don't think Disney cares too much about the local AP's. The locals choose cheaper options like SeaWorld.

I thought they said if you are staying on property . You can have that many days of park res.

I'm not happy as a Florida resident, I was prepared to pay my 550 for a silver pass. I knew it might go up a little but not this much. I'm not sure what to do. Spent the morning watching Uni videos I can get top tier AP at Universal for 500 but I'm not sure if I will be happy settling.

in the same boat as you. I won’t be renewing my Disney Gold AP. Bought a Universal AP at the beginning of COVID and have been impressed. They really appreciate APs there and the parks are gorgeous. It’s like Disney was 10 years ago. i live in Champions Gate and happily drive right past Disney to get to Universal. Picked up a membership to Bok Tower this weekend, packed a picnic basket and had a wonderful time. Disney/ Chapek is going to have to work to get me back at this point. I feel like they are taking advantage now because they can and I don’t like to be bullied. Best thing is I finally got to meet Craig from the Dis crew recently…hint, it wasn’t at Disney. 😀

I did the same math as yours, and wondered the same thing - why am I going to Disney anymore? The magic and memories have kept me coming back, but now?

Yes, for the past several years for me. If they take a ride way, or cancel some entertainment, or increase the prices a bit, to me it OK. Its DIsney...but the CMs are not happy.. down right rude at times...and the remodeled rooms that dont shout "youre at Disney" just take away from the whole feel of it. I used to get smiles everywhere and music when I entered the MK and monorails, which barely run these days, to whisk me off to my happy place and the "good morning Princess to the kids.... its all gone :( Its really just a theme park now with ridiculously expensive, not special, hotel rooms. I can stay at the Gaylord Palms and bring a $5 poster of Moana to stick on the wall for a better experience at 1/4 the price!!!

Yes, for the past several years for me. If they take a ride way, or cancel some entertainment, or increase the prices a bit, to me it OK. Its DIsney...but the CMs are not happy.. down right rude at times...and the remodeled rooms that dont shout "youre at Disney" just take away from the whole feel of it. I used to get smiles everywhere and music when I entered the MK and monorails, which barely run these days, to whisk me off to my happy place and the "good morning Princess to the kids.... its all gone :( Its really just a theme park now with ridiculously expensive, not special, hotel rooms. I can stay at the Gaylord Palms and bring a $5 poster of Moana to stick on the wall for a better experience at 1/4 the price!!!
I understand you are angry about things, but please don't lump the CM's into everything. They have been treated very poorly by the company and by guests, so it is no wonder they are unhappy. I think people who go to Disney forget the CM's are people and have to work there just to survive. They are people who have trouble affording to live here and can barely make ends meet. They are dealing everyday with "privileged" individuals who can afford a vacation that is a luxury not a necessity. I completely agree with your other issues, but please leave CM's and their attitudes out of the argument.

I have purchased the AP in the past few years but with a shorter (7 day) trip this December and an even shorter (5 day) trip scheduled for next May it probably isn't really worth it for me. The May trip is mostly just to do 2-3 days at F&G for my birthday and the rest will be CL at GDT and then possibly an October trip to CA and DLR. When I do Disney I'll be now doing shorter trips when I go. I remember DH observing, not complaining, in October 2019 that the food prices were quite higher than they were on our trip before. Well, wait until he sees what the prices will be in December! I'm not saying a word before then! LOL! But I digress...

Being a DVC member, $899+ is a tough pill to swallow. I'm not upset or shocked, just realistic, and that it's most likely that 2018 may have been our last AP purchase.

in the same boat as you. I won’t be renewing my Disney Gold AP. Bought a Universal AP at the beginning of COVID and have been impressed. They really appreciate APs there and the parks are gorgeous. It’s like Disney was 10 years ago. i live in Champions Gate and happily drive right past Disney to get to Universal. Picked up a membership to Bok Tower this weekend, packed a picnic basket and had a wonderful time. Disney/ Chapek is going to have to work to get me back at this point. I feel like they are taking advantage now because they can and I don’t like to be bullied. Best thing is I finally got to meet Craig from the Dis crew recently…hint, it wasn’t at Disney. 😀

Too bad there is nothing at Universal I really enjoy.

Last edited:
I love this, I really need someone saying it's going to be ok. I keep telling myself with the money I'm saving I can still buy a 4 day ticket package

Too bad there is nothing at Universal I really enjoy.

That's always my problem when someone suggests Universal as an alternative. I don't like it. I tried it and I tried my best to like it, but I don't. I may or may not return to WDW, but Universal isn't the alternative for me, no matter what the price is. I'm not convinced WDW won't eventually bring back all the things we love. While I don't like price increases, my biggest complaint with them isn't the pricing. It's the level of service and the major cuts that there is no reason not to bring back at this point. So, we wait. In the meantime, DLR seems to be at least trying a little harder. Their Halloween party looks amazing compared to the paltry after hours event Disney is offering. We have a trip scheduled in October and I'm hoping we'll like it enough that it can be our fix for a while. It's not WDW, but it's a heckuva lot closer than Universal is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter