Our Visit to the DL Resort 12/8-9/2001

WebmasterMaryJo

Techarita
Staff member
Administrator
flowerface.GIF
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=navy> The rascals and I spent the night, Saturday, December 8, at the Grand Californian at Disneyland. We had a lot of fun there, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

The Grand Californian is unique in that you can enter Disney's California Adventure right from the hotel. This picture is from the 5th level - there is a terrace out there, where you can relax as you watch the guests swim below, or have fun at DCA.

dis055gc.jpg

We were in room 4431, and had a view of Downtown Disney. The next two pics show our room and the balcony. Nick & Kelly are very relaxed in the room. :) When we opened our window, we could hear the Christmas music down below, and the people as they enjoyed their visit to the resort. I was tempted to sleep with the window open, but although it was warmish during the day, the nights were darned cold!!

dis001hotel.jpg

dis002balcony.jpg

Here are the views from the balcony. Looking east towards Disneyland, we could see Space Mountain. Looking west, we could see Downtown Disney. In the background is the Disneyland Hotel. Our room was right above the World of Disney. :D

dis003view.jpg

dis004viewdd.jpg

After settling in, we decided to go to DCA and watch the Millionaire show. We had never seen it, and it was already after 4pm. We knew there was only one show left that day. As we entered DCA, we saw a little show with dancing, starring Miss Minnie Mouse. In the background, you can see the Grand Californian.

dis005dcaminnie.jpg

We continued on, and saw more entertainment - this time it was a car driving by, with a band on it playing music.

dis006dcamusic.jpg

I wish I had taken pictures of the decorations around DCA - they were all gold (for California, the Golden State). We also couldn't take pics of the Millionaire game, though we had a lot of fun. We had a little over a half hour to wait for it, and decided to wait in line, even though no one was there yet. As soon as we went through the line, other people started following us. There was a CM there, who used to be a sports announcer and had a Dodger pennant ring on - pretty cool. He was nice, and even gave us a ticket to go in the "Ring of Fire" - since I had no idea what that was (and being how shy I am), I got my dd, Kelly, to go there. She got to sit down in front, and Nick & I were right behind her. It was so much fun playing along with everyone else, even though none of us got in the top 10 answers. I could get addicted to that game! Afterwards, the kids and I were really hungry, so we went to the Storyteller's Cafe (one of our favorites). The kids both had the buffet, and I had the chicken quesadilla - oh, was that good! Here we are, enjoying our meal together:

dis007dinkelly.JPG
dis008dinnick.jpg
dis009dinnermj.jpg

Afterwards, we walked back through the hotel, stopping in the lobby to listen to the beautiful piano music and admire the tree. Well, I admired the tree... the kids wanted to go back to DCA and ride Grizzly Rapids. :rolleyes:

dis010gctree.jpg

flowerface.GIF
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=navy>Well, what a lazy day Sunday morning was.... for the rascals. I got up at 5:30 to get in line for the Candlelight Processional. Disneyland holds it once a year for their corporate execs and families, and they give the extra tix away. When I got in line @ 5:45, there were already a lot of people there. I found out that the earliest guest had been there since 3:am! Well, although I took a book, I never did read it because I was too busy visiting with the others waiting. :D Finally, at 8:am, they handed out the tickets - maximum 4 per guest in line. With ticket in hand, I went on back to the GC, and went back to bed - lol. We spent the morning relaxing in our room and on our balcony. What a great way to spend the morning. By the time we had breakfast and checked out, we didn't get to Disneyland until around noonish. I then got tickets for the Holiday Tour - this is a new tour that they have for Christmas. Tickets were $20 each (no discounts).

After that, we decided to go on some rides. We first went on BTRR, and took our visitor Flat Stanley, who wanted to ride with his hands up, like Kelly, but ended up with his hands down!

dis011flatstanley.JPG
dis012flatstanley.JPG

After BTRR, we went on the DLRR, and I took a pic as we passed It's a Small World. From here, you can see the entrance to It's a Small World, the IASW mall, and the Matterhorn.

dis015iaswmall.jpg

Now it was time to go to where the tour starts, and when we got there, I saw two young ladies, one of them had a very lime green ribbon in her hair, so I thought she might be a DISer (I can be slow sometimes)... what clinched it for me was when I saw her WDW corn cool sweatshirt. I called out WDWFanatic!!! and she turned around... yup - it was WDWFanatic288 and supercarrie was with her. :) :) Now, I've seen these DISers on the boards, and they've always been so friendly and poised. Imagine my surprise when I realized that they were sophmores in high school! WDWFanatic, or Jules, was visiting out here w/her family, and had met supercarrie, or Carrie, or Caroline ;) , for the first time - I had thought they were long-time friends (the DIS magic works again).

Here are Carrie and Jules in Town Square, waiting for our guide.

dis016carriejules.jpg
dis017carriejules.jpg

Jules and Kelly listen to our guide, David, as he gives us some info on the decorating of Walt's apartment.

dis018tour.jpg

While listening to Tourguide David, I took a moment to snap this pic of our American flag and the Christmas tree. One a symbol of hope and freedom, the other a symbol of hope and peace. As you can see, it was a beautiful day in Southern California.

dis019flag.jpg

Kelly, with her Tigger ears, Carrie, and Jules with her WDW sweatshirt & lime-green ribbon in her hair follow David through Adventureland.

dis020tour.jpg

Here is Toontown fully decorated.

dis021toontown.jpg

During the tour, a very nice lady introduced herself to us. It turned out that it was CaliforniaGirl (more of a lurker than a poster :) ), who was visiting with Terrie - this pic shows Carrie, CaliforniaGirl and Terrie listening to David.

dis022tour.jpg

Part of the tour also took us on the Haunted Mansion and It's a Small World. It was nice going through the Fastpass lines instead of waiting in the standby ones.

dis023iasw.jpg
dis024iaswbanner.jpg

dis025iasw.jpg

dis026iasw.jpg

dis027iasw.jpg

flowerface.GIF
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=navy> Our tour ended with prime viewing spots for the Holiday Fantasy Parade. We got there just in time to here the music and see the beginning of the parade. I can still hear the tune in my head. :)

dis028parade.jpg
dis029parade.jpg

At one point, the bakers sprayed confetti all over the guests watching the parade - it was funny. Well, these two boys liked it so much they kept picking up the confetti and throwing it in the air.

dis033paradekids.jpg
dis030parade.jpg

dis031parade.jpg
dis032parade.jpg
dis034mickey.jpg
dis035chipmunks.jpg

These little ones were so much fun to watch. They were dancing and dancing, and waving to everyone who went by.

dis036paradekids.jpg

dis037parade.jpg
dis038parade.jpg

When the parade was over, we took a nice group shot of the DISers who enjoyed the Holiday tour. Here we have Chris (CalifGirl), Tourguide David, Terrie, Jules (WDWFanatic288), Nick (Nick*o*), Kelly (Tigger*Gal), Carrie (supercarrie), and me (um, you know). What a great way to take the tour. :)

dis040groupshot.jpg

Well, after the tour, we all said our goodbyes, and the kids & I continued on the the Golden Horseshoe Saloon, where we saw Billy Hill and the Hillbillies perform their holiday show. They were funny and talented, as always, and we got to see them from one of the booths on the side of the stage.

dis041billyhill.jpg

Afterwards, we walked a little, and took a picture or two.

dis042kids.jpg

It was now time for us to get in line for the Candlelight Processional....

flowerface.GIF
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=navy>The Candlelight Processional is made up of various choirs, including the Disneyland Members choir, a full orchestra, bell chimes, trumpets, a person who signs, and a guest speaker to tell the Christmas Story. David Ogden Stiers (Cogsworth of Beauty & the Beast, and M.A.S.H. fame) was the speaker this year (and he did a great job). Members of the choir walked in a procession while holding candles and singing - it was beautiful. They then walked to the Fantasyland Theater, next to It's a Small World, and walked down to the stage, and joined the orchestra who was already seated. Mr. Stiers then came up, and read the Christmas story. He would read a scene, and then we'd hear beautiful music.

Here's the stage

dis043cpstage.jpg

The trumpets herald another song....

dis044trumpets.jpg

David Ogden Stiers reads the Christmas story

dis045cpdavidos.jpg

The lady signs the story and the lyrics to the songs

dis046cpsigner.jpg

These pictures do not do justice to the beauty of the show. The lighting was so beautiful. The choir members in the middle made up a Christmas tree in their green robes and green light, and other members wore different colors. The lighting would change depending on the songs. My favorite of all was the Alleluia Chorus -- so impressive.

dis047cpchoir.jpg

Another wonderful trip to the Land :)

<font color=navy>Here's another pic that doesn't do justice to the beauty. This is the Columbia Ship with the afternoon sky lit behind it.

dis051clouds.jpg

And here is It's a Small World at night.

dis052iasw.JPG

Why is it with every Disneyland trip report, I get homesick, but that only happens about 1/3 of the time with Disneyworld pics/reports? ;) Thanks for sharing, MaryJo, even if you did make me homesick ;)

What WONDERFUL pictures and commentary, MJ. Even I got homesick, LOL. Love Kelly's new Christmas Tigger ears and both the kids are looking GREAT!! You too!!!! :D

SO nice to see Jules and Carrie, two SUPER 'DIS kids' they are. CG and Terrie also.

DL looks so pretty in its Christmas garb, wish I was there. Thanks so much for taking the time to take, and post, all these pretty pictures. A most interesting trip I just took with you guys. :wave:

Mary Jo - I love the way you tell the story of your trip through your pictures. As usual, your photos are spectacular! It's so nice to see your family and other Dissers enjoying Disneyland together.

Ahh!! Pics of me!! :D LOL Thanks so much MaryJo for posting this!! I love your pics, and it was wonderful meeting you!

Very nice photos, Mary Jo! :) Thanks so much for posting them.

Neat story about how you met Carrie and Jules! :)

Great trip report, Mary Jo! It made me feel just like I was there. Oh wait, I WAS! :) It was really wonderful to meet you and Jules and Carrie. Thanks for the pictures, they were all wonderful. I'm glad you got one of IASW at night. It was breath-taking. I'm jealous you got to see Carols by Candlelight, but I really appreciate the pictures and descriptions.

I'll try not to lurk so much, but really, you guys have all the answers and info to share with others. I just post when I can add something.

I hope we can get together for another DIS meet. It would be fun to see you again!
Chris

What a great trip report, Mary Jo. The pictures are fantastic! Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us. :)

Hi MaryJo
Great report and pictures, But
I didn't see any pictures of the Snowflakes that are in the parade.

pics of me!!! ahhh!! :D

great report!!!

OUr story is an interesting one...hehe

thanks for taking pics and posting them

greta meeting everyone!! :)

Mary Jo - you did a great job and sounds and looks like you had a great weekend. Makes me wish I was there - oh I was in August

Thanks

Nice job, Mary Jo! :)

I'd love to get out there again! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter