Our Very Own California Adventure!! July 30th-August 11th, 2008

A little addendum to the last update.......

I completely forgot to mention DS7 and his sore throat! Thankfully, he woke up feeling just fine, BUT DS12 was starting to complain about an earache! :eek: What's up with all these sick kids?!

Loving the report so far, Michelle. I gotta speak up for San Francisco though. I love it. When I lived in California I would take a weekend trip there every now and then for concerts in Golden Gate Park or head down to Mt. View to the Shoreline Amp. to see the Dead. Granted, I never really spent too much time in the main touristy areas.:confused3 I did the obligatory pilgrimage for old(or not so old) hippies to the Haight to see where all the action was in the 60's.:hippie: Now that I think of it, my last San Francisco experience was a PITA. DH and I were on a big road trip after we first got married and wanted to see the city since he had never been. We tried to just find a parking spot to walk around the Wharf and went into a parking garage that charged about $15 for a couple of hours which was a lot at the time. We drove up and up looking for a spot and the only one was right on top in the sun. We were in a black truck and had several hundred dollars worth of wine since we had been in Napa for a couple of days. Needless to say we were NOT going to park in the sun half a day to destroy our wine so we turned around and left. We did get our money back but just kept on driving. At least DH got to see the Golden Gate Bridge.:rotfl2:

A little addendum to the last update.......

I completely forgot to mention DS7 and his sore throat! Thankfully, he woke up feeling just fine, BUT DS12 was starting to complain about an earache! :eek: What's up with all these sick kids?!
I have four kids and that is one of my biggest fears, that someone will end up sick just before or during a long awaited vacation.
It actually happened once on a WDW trip and we ended up spending lots of time in the first aid stations at the parks and the last two days in the hotel room. :sad2:

SF is one place I would love to visit w/ my family. I spent a month in the bay area after my freshman yr in college, w/ friends. The first half I was stuck in Palo Alto, then Foster City for two weeks. Since I was staying w/ friends, they didn't really want to do the touristy stuff. I did get to eat at an amazing Japanese restaurant though. I would like to go there just to try the clam chowder. :banana: I make it at home- it's my favorite meal.

I forgot to add that my favorite photos were the ones at Alcatraz. That place fascinates me. Did it close it's doors in the 70's? The tour looked so interesting!

Michelle I am laughing at your DS not looking at the camera- mine is the same way!!!! Hello! Focus for 2 seconds please!! :lmao:

SF is one place I would love to visit w/ my family. I spent a month in the bay area after my freshman yr in college, w/ friends. The first half I was stuck in Palo Alto, then Foster City for two weeks. Since I was staying w/ friends, they didn't really want to do the touristy stuff. I did get to eat at an amazing Japanese restaurant though. I would like to go there just to try the clam chowder. :banana: I make it at home- it's my favorite meal.

I forgot to add that my favorite photos were the ones at Alcatraz. That place fascinates me. Did it close it's doors in the 70's? The tour looked so interesting!
SF wasn't terrible. It just wasn't what I thought, although I'm not even sure what I was expecting. I guess it shocked me how it's so expensive to live there and yet the houses were tiny and crammed right up against each other. It's definitely someplace you should go at least once to say you've been.

This site offers some great info on Alcatraz: http://www.nps.gov/alcatraz/

My favorite part of "the rock" though is the list of rules they used to have up there. I've told my kids it applies to them as well!!! :lmao:

"You are entitled to food, clothing, shelter and medical attention. Anything else that you get is a privilege."

OK, sorry to take the TR off topic. :flower3: I just found that amusing.

Loving the report so far, Michelle. I gotta speak up for San Francisco though. I love it. When I lived in California I would take a weekend trip there every now and then for concerts in Golden Gate Park or head down to Mt. View to the Shoreline Amp. to see the Dead. Granted, I never really spent too much time in the main touristy areas.:confused3 I did the obligatory pilgrimage for old(or not so old) hippies to the Haight to see where all the action was in the 60's.:hippie: Now that I think of it, my last San Francisco experience was a PITA. DH and I were on a big road trip after we first got married and wanted to see the city since he had never been. We tried to just find a parking spot to walk around the Wharf and went into a parking garage that charged about $15 for a couple of hours which was a lot at the time. We drove up and up looking for a spot and the only one was right on top in the sun. We were in a black truck and had several hundred dollars worth of wine since we had been in Napa for a couple of days. Needless to say we were NOT going to park in the sun half a day to destroy our wine so we turned around and left. We did get our money back but just kept on driving. At least DH got to see the Golden Gate Bridge.:rotfl2:

Maybe some day DH & I will give it another try and venture away from the wharf and all the big touristy areas. DH would love a trip to Napa so I'm sure we will be up that way again someday!

I have four kids and that is one of my biggest fears, that someone will end up sick just before or during a long awaited vacation.
It actually happened once on a WDW trip and we ended up spending lots of time in the first aid stations at the parks and the last two days in the hotel room. :sad2:

My oldest son got sick during a WDW trip once too, luckily it only lasted a day, but I felt sorry for him having to spend an entire day laying in bed sick on vacation!

Alcatraz actually closed in 1963, the Indians occupied it in 1969-1970, then it became part of the National Parks Service and opened to tourists in 1973. The tour was very interesting! Definately a must do if you're planning a trip to SF!

Michelle I am laughing at your DS not looking at the camera- mine is the same way!!!! Hello! Focus for 2 seconds please!! :lmao:

What is it with these boys?! :laughing:

Great report so far and lovely pics. Look forward to reading the rest :)

Thanks, and welcome to my trippie!!

My favorite part of "the rock" though is the list of rules they used to have up there. I've told my kids it applies to them as well!!! :lmao:

"You are entitled to food, clothing, shelter and medical attention. Anything else that you get is a privilege."

OK, sorry to take the TR off topic. :flower3: I just found that amusing.

I noticed that quote of the rules in the information book, but never saw it on the island. DH said he saw it though. I wish I would have, I'd have told my kids the same thing! :lmao:

Great report thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

Hey Lynne! Glad you found me! Your California trip report was the one that really got me excited about our trip! I hope you can enjoy mine half as much as I enjoyed yours! :flower3:

AWWWW, thanks! I'm glad I helped in getting you excited for your trip! :hug:

AND....I'm loving your TR so far......can't wait for more! :thumbsup2

Glad you all enjoyed Alcatraz! Wasn't the audio tour great? DH and I thought it was one of the best that we've done! :goodvibes

Glad you all enjoyed Alcatraz! Wasn't the audio tour great? DH and I thought it was one of the best that we've done! :goodvibes

It was really good, I almost didn't pay for the audio tour for the boys because I was afraid that it wouldn't interest them - I'm so glad I did!

btw, How was Hawaii? I like that new picture of you and your DH in your siggy, you look so tan and happy!

Day 2 continued

Once we returned from our tour we were all really hungry, so we went to Johnny Rockets for lunch. I know this is a chain, but we don't have them here so I was looking forward to trying it. We all had burgers and milkshakes, and it was really good. :thumbsup2

After lunch we walked across the street to Boudin's Bakery and decided to take the little self guided tour that they offer.

100_4429.jpg

Isn't this bread cute! I was amazed at all the different stuff they could make out of bread!

100_4428.jpg

The tour was interesting, and they had some hands on things for the boys to do, which they enjoyed. But, mostly they liked watching them make the bread. Looking at all the huge equipment and seeing how it works was actually quite fun. AND, there is a tasting room at the end of the tour. I was still full from lunch, but after being in there smelling all that fresh made bread, I couldn't help myself and had to have a couple of samples!

After our tour there we decided to head in the opposite direction of Pier 39 and see what was at that end. It was much less crowded, and you didn't have all the street performers at that end either. :woohoo: Our first stop was at the Maritime Museum. We didn't pay to go onto the boats, but they were fun to look at anyway. DS12 had to stop and get his picture taken with the pirates (ahhhh, a boy after his mother's heart :love: , :laughing: ) Of course, these pirates aren't nearly as attractive as a couple of other pirates I know of!

100_4431.jpg

Here's one of DH at the Maritime Museum

100_4436.jpg

And one that DS took of the both of us. (Don't mind my hair - it was incredibly windy!

100_4437.jpg

Here is one more of Alcatraz from the end of the dock at the Museum

100_4434.jpg

And, one looking the other way

100_4438.jpg

We continued our walk, and as we passed a beach like area (really it was just a small section of sand) DS decided that he wanted to go see how cold the water was. He was a bit tentative, and when he finally did feel it, he said it was REALLY cold!

100_4433.jpg

We kept walking towards the Golden Gate Bridge, hoping that we would be able to get a better view of it. We actually found an area that would have been a nice spot, but that darn fog just wouldn't go away.

100_4442.jpg

DH took this one of me and the boys, again, please ignore the windblown look :lmao:

100_4446.jpg

Here is DS12, whenever he sees one of these short blockade poles, he thinks that it is there for him jump. :sad2:

100b4450.jpg

We decided to head back to our hotel for a break, and I needed to get on the computer and make some hotel reservations for the next night and get some sort of idea what we might do. On the way back though, we passed Ghiradelli Square - ummmmm, you can't pass Ghiradelli and not get ice cream can you? No, you can't! :laughing: The kids and I headed into the ice cream parlor, I had a dark fudge brownie sundae, mmmmmm - it was so good! The kids each had waffle cones, but for the life of me I can't remember what kind of ice cream they had. I know it was good though, because they ate every last crumb! While we were having our ice cream, DH went next door to Cellar360 and did a wine tasting. I'm not a wine drinker so I didn't mind him going without me at all.

One last stop one our way back to the hotel, we had to have a picture with a trolly car!

100_4460.jpg

With hotel ressies and tentative plans made for the next couple of days, and after a short nap, we headed out to find someplace to eat for dinner. Again, we avoided Pier 39 and went in the opposite direction. We ended up choosing a place called Cioppinos. It was GREAT! DH had a seafood stew that he said was incredible, DS7 had butter noodles (his favorite - I swear the child is a carboholic, he could eat pasta and bread everyday and be in heaven - I seriously think he needs a 12 step program! :laughing: ) and DS12 and I had a linguine and crab dish that was also really good. If anyone is heading to the Fisherman's Wharf area in SF, I would definately recommend this restaurant! :thumbsup2

Here's a couple of pictures we took at the end of our meal.

100_4461.jpg

100_4464.jpg

After dinner we walked around a little more, bought a couple of souvenirs, and then headed back to the hotel to organize all of our stuff and get ready to leave in the morning.

Up next: Day 3, We're Headed to Monterey!

Sorry you didn't love San Francisco like I do! I know it's not everybodys cup of tea. My dad lives in Sacramento so I like to make a trip to San Fran when I go to see him.

Did you check out the penny arcade? My DD had so much fun in there the last time we went.

Your pictures are wonderful, hope you had a great time in monterey.

DH took this one of me and the boys, again, please ignore the windblown look :lmao:

100_4446.jpg

Oh my! It looks like he is actually looking at the camera! Must've been a fluke - caught him before he could look away :rotfl:

Great pics! Loving the report so far!

Great report so far!!! :thumbsup2

So sorry that you had to cancel Yosemite, but like you said, it does give you a reason to go back!!! :goodvibes Hope you had a good time in Monterey.....I'm excited to hear about it!

btw, How was Hawaii? I like that new picture of you and your DH in your siggy, you look so tan and happy!

Chris and I LOVED Hawaii (Thanks for asking!)!!! It really was hard to come home after 2 wonderful weeks of sunshine and 80 degree weather EVERY DAY! Thanks for the compliment about my pic! :flower3: I really like the new one you have of your family too! It's a great shot! :)

Sorry you didn't love San Francisco like I do! I know it's not everybodys cup of tea. My dad lives in Sacramento so I like to make a trip to San Fran when I go to see him.

Did you check out the penny arcade? My DD had so much fun in there the last time we went.

Your pictures are wonderful, hope you had a great time in monterey.

I hope I didn't make it sound like we hated SF, we enjoyed it and I'm glad we went, it was just different than what I expected and I think that skewed my opinion somewhat.

We didn't go into the penny arcade. I'm not sure if I even remember seeing it, I'm sure I did, it just didn't register. That is probably something the boys would have liked!

Oh my! It looks like he is actually looking at the camera! Must've been a fluke - caught him before he could look away :rotfl:

:lmao:

Chris and I LOVED Hawaii (Thanks for asking!)!!! It really was hard to come home after 2 wonderful weeks of sunshine and 80 degree weather EVERY DAY!

I love Hawaii. We haven't been in a few years, and I was just thinking today that it is time to go back! You just can't beat it - it truly is paradise!

I'm loving all the pictures but now I'm jonesing for a California trip.:rotfl2: I want to go to that restaurant you found AND do the wine tasting. I'm afraid I'm with your DH in that even though I adore ice cream, I would have chosen wine as well.:confused3

I finally read the last installment today. Someone posted a link to Alcatraz yesterday, so I was on there the whole day, reading up on it!! I can't wait to hear more.:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter