Our Tentative Plan...

Jonathan Friedman

Mouseketeer
Wife and I are currently booked through a DVC rental with our 2 1/2 year old at AKL in September with Savannah Room. We are obviously watching closely and travel is easy as we live in Atlanta and it’s a short drive.

Our current plan is to skip the parks all together. Sucks but at the cost, the unknown and masks in the Florida heat, we aren’t sure it’ll even be worth it.

That said, our plan is to enjoy the resort for the 8 days, resort hop, use the pools, maybe go to a water park or two, Disney Springs and possibly see a couple attractions outside WDW.

Obviously a lot could change and we just did a trip a year ago that was simply perfect and our kiddo loved. We will modify it and still enjoy!

Thoughts?

AKL is a great resort to do a 'staycation' at ( meaning no parks ). When we were there, we felt there was a lot to do at the resort itself. Lots of activities by the pool ( mostly kids or kids/parents ) but they really looked fun - some free, some at a nominal charge. Tons of places to view the animals around the resort ( night vision was very cool ). The dining options here are also very good.

Mini golf at Winter/Summerland are really close and some resort hopping could also be fun. ( Dining, shopping ). Check out the VOID as well at Disney Springs. And speaking of Disney Springs there's also Splitsville for bowling.

I know the later things are still currently closed but I think those are easy to set social distancing restrictions to so if the resorts are open I think those ( mini golf and Splitsville ) will be open too.

I can’t imagine going to WDW and not going to the parks. Although we like AKL there is not enough to do there for 8 days. I would cancel and go when you think is safe enough to go to the parks.

IMHO, the Hard Rock and Portifino at Universal are nicer hotels with better service. You can still tour around at Disney.

Note: I reread your post and I assume the rental fee is n9n refundable. correct? Then AKL is probably yhe best place at WDW to be stuck.

Why not?! If things change and you decide you want to go to the parks while you are there, they will be happy to sell you tickets!

Sounds fun to me. We stayed at AKL when DD was 3 and had a blast at the kid’s water area at the Kidani pool (blanking on the name at the moment) - it quickly became a favorite daily spot.

8 days is a very long time to be at Disney World without attending the parks. If the water parks are open, that can use up 2 of the days, but even 6 days, especially with a toddler, doing resort-only, seems a bit much. Disney Springs can be one day, but masks are required there, too. Maybe just hit the parks briefly each day, to use your pre-planned FPs (assuming those will still be in use)? Either morning or late evening, to avoid the heat of the day with masks? That would give a concrete activity for 4 of your days if you did one park per day, and leave two days for chilling out at the resort.

I can’t imagine going to WDW and not going to the parks. Although we like AKL there is not enough to do there for 8 days. I would cancel and go when you think is safe enough to go to the parks.

IMHO, the Hard Rock and Portifino at Universal are nicer hotels with better service. You can still tour around at Disney.

Note: I reread your post and I assume the rental fee is n9n refundable. correct? Then AKL is probably yhe best place at WDW to be stuck.

Correct, non refundable. Will make the best of it.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is our favorite & the perfect resort for a resort-only vacation in my opinion. There is so many wonderful things to do right at the resort. Relax around the fire in the lobby & people watch, join a marshmallow roast by the savanna at night & look at the animals through night goggles, Story Time in the evening, displays in the lobby of Jambo House with talks about the animals, great restaurants, crafts you can participate in for a fee, 2 great pools, just check the activity guide when you arrive.

Our experience was pre-COVID, so I hope that they will still offer these activities when they reopen. I'm sure there might be changes to comply with their plans to reopen.

The water parks are so much fun & the mini golf courses are great entertainment in the evenings. We like Fantasia min-golf the best. I'm not sure a 2.5 year old would enjoy the mini-golf? As you know Disney Springs has so much to see & do. If it's open, go to a movie at the AMC theater and just wander & take in the sights. The VOID is amazing, but I don't think a 2.5 year old can participate. But you probably already know that there is a fun little train for the small kids (if it's open) and Rainforest Cafe & T-Rex Cafe always provide great meal entertainment.

There are plenty of character meals that are not in the parks that you could enjoy. Make sure & get reservations in advance. ;)
Any Disney vacation is always magical. Have fun!

Great resort and like you stated, make the most and very bestof it all! ..Not great weather, hit the movies, grab lunch and relax. Pool time, sleeping in, watching the animals out ur sliders... all sound good to me. When my son was young, playing in the tub with those Disney toys was fun lol. by Sept you just may decide a day in a park would be worth it. Whatever you choose.. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter