Our Simply Splendid Southwest Splendors Adventure!

whiteside61

Earning My Ears
Hello All! I have been itching to sit down and write a review of our trip, and this is my first opportunity since we returned on Wednesday evening. Let me just begin by saying that our trip was everything I'd hoped it would be and more! We had an incredible time. I really can't think of anything negative to report, even about the Thunderbird lodge:laughing:, but more about that in a bit.

We began our trip with a pre night in Phoenix at the lovely Camelback Inn which is a 5 star resort. I was a bit afraid that starting off so grand would lead to
disappointment as we progressed to less luxurious accommodations, but that was not the case. From the moment we met up with our group, I knew that our Guides. Korey and Geraldine, would be taking care of all the details and I could just sit back and relax!

We met and enjoyed so many wonderful families on our trip! We plan to keep in touch with several of the families and hope to also plan another ABD trip together as well. Our children had a ball. By the middle of the week there was always a kids table and the kids just had a wonderful time together during all the fun adventures, sitting together on the bus, and enjoying the red Cliffs Lodge.

The scenery, of course, is awesome. From Sedona to Grand Canyon to Moab...all spectacular in it's own way.

We loved all the group activities and the step on guides throughout the trip added so much to the experience. ( The one exception was Red Rocks State Park in Sedona. A number of us felt that the guided tour was too long and not very interesting. Plus it was HOT! Unbearably so. The only wildlife we saw were some squirrels and ants. Maybe it's more interesting and lush in the spring and fall)

Our families favorite activities were the red rock jeep tour in Sedona (yee haw!), the rafting trip in Moab, horseback riding in Moab, the Arches hike, everything at the grand canyon (we did not take the helicopter ride, but our oldest two children hiked down into the canyon to the 1.5 mile marker and had a most memorable experience) and last but not least....the ATV ride in Moab! Wow, I have never been so dirty or had so much fun in my life! We laughed until we cried at one point when we pulled off our helmets and realized how dirty our faces were!

Okay...the food. I'm a bit of a food snob, but it was really all fine. The group meals were always tasty and with a family of six, my husband was always relieved when the meal was already paid for. We had some lovely meals on our own...Cowboy Ciao in Scottsdale on our arrival night, the cowboy Club in Sedona and The El Tovar for dinner at the Grand Canyon (another favorite family memory) Also, our cookout lunch at the Red Cliffs Lodge before the rafting trip was super fun and delicious. We were delighted to find on our "adult night out" at the red cliffs, that we were able to order from the regular menu. We sat with several other families and reserved a table outside overlooking the Colorado river and the dramatic red cliffs, simply breathtaking.

Wine and beer were provided ("on the Mouse") for our welcome dinner in Sedona and also on our last evening in Moab. The rest of the time there was always a cash bar available which was fine. On our last full day Korey asked the folks at the winery (which is part of the lodge) to extend the hours of the wine tasting so that we a few of us could attend after our river rafting trip. they did and it was fun.

We loved our accommodations at both the Amara and Red Cliffs, but almost everyone we spoke to was really dreading the Thunderbird after reading reviews both here and elsewhere. Let me relieve you all of your fears. It was fine. Really. The first thing many of us did upon entering our rooms was to check and see if the linens were clean. Secondly the bathrooms. Our two rooms were nice and clean and I did not hear any bad reports, and we were all discussing this. The carpets were a little old and stained, but not in a gross way. It reminded me of older lodges and motels that I used to stay in when I was a young girl vacationing in the white mountains of New Hampshire. The tile in the bathrooms was very pretty and even though the bathrooms were small, they have been recently renovated and are very nice. I also like the "green" toiletries they provide...a nice touch. Everyone in the disney group had the canyon view instead of a parking lot view...and that is worth alot. We passed the Grand Hotel on the way into the park and I feel it would be a big mistake to sacrifice the location of the Thunderbird for the Grand Hotel just for the sake of a slightly nicer room. The Grand is on a highway and the Thunderbird is just steps from the rim. On both mornings at the canyon, we just rolled out of bed at 5:15 and proceeded outside in our PJ's to watch the incredible sunrise over the mighty canyon. You could not do that at the Grand. Plus, in the afternoon our youngest was tired and cranky so she headed back to the room to relax while we continued to expllore..so convenient! Also all the amenities of the El Tovar and the gift shops and dining of the bright angel are all right there for your convenience. So, our experience at the Thunderbird was very good and our dinner at the El Tovar was truly special after watching the sunset out front with our group.

I've got to run and get ready to be somewhere so I'll submit this and add more later as I think of things!!!

YAY!!!!! I am so glad to hear that someone this year has REALLY, TRULY enjoyed Southwest Splendors as much as I did last year. This makes me so happy that I can continue to pimp this trip as the fun, wonderful time it is.

I'm glad to hear the Thunderbird is OK. You just can't beat the location. To wake up to sunrise over the Rim... :thumbsup2

I'm really looking forward to more of your report, and to pictures!

Sayhello

Thanks for the great review!!!! It brings back a lot of memories about our trip last summer on SWS. I'm also glad to hear about a positive review of the Thunderbird!!! I agree--the location can't be beat. Having stayed at the Grand, I had no complaints, but we did not have the sunrise canyon experience. (I'm also with you on the Sedona State Park. Although we saw a few turtles and birds--it was really hot and could have been a bit shorter.).

We leave for Quest 4the West tomorrow a.m. Can't wait!
Thanks again for the memories!

Turtlemom :thumbsup2

We leave for Quest 4the West tomorrow a.m. Can't wait!
Thanks again for the memories!

Have an Awesome Trip! We leave on the 25th and cant wait to! Cant Wait to hear how your trip goes!

I agree with your description of the Thunderbird. Do you give up waking up in front of one of the seven wonders of the world for a nicer room???? Forget it. There is no question the Thunderbird is where you want to be. It's not that nice inside, but anyone can deal for 2 days when it comes to that view.

Yes, Kristilew, you did assure me that that all would be well and it WAS!!
I'm just so sad that ABD has hiked all the rates and I'm afraid we will never be able to afford another trip with them. On our last night together (the farewell dinner) our group was so pumped, we would have signed up for the next trip right then and there but now that reality sets in...who can or wants to afford to?

In any event, we had the time of our lives and memories for a lifetime!!!!!!!!

P.S. We all felt that there were many special touches along the way, and if there were any cutbacks from 2008, they were not apparent to us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter