Our Honeymoon Trip (Dec 3 to 10, 2000) Part Four: MGM Studios

kking

Earning My Ears
Cast of characters:

Myself and my wife(but you know that already)

Story:

Well, so far we had visited Epcot and Animal Kingdom and we were having a ball. However, my wife (1st time WDW visitor) was really looking forward to the other two parks...

We were up early again, grabbed breakfast at the Cotton Mill in Dixie Landings and caught the bus to the MGM Studios. Once again, we were the first ones in line at one of the turnstiles. At 8:30, they started letting people into the park. Excitedly, we started heading down the main street, turned right to go to the Rock n Roller Coaster and encountered..............a rope. D'oh! What a tease!! ;)

I have to say that the image of the Tower of Terror on the horizon is a pretty impressive site to see. While we waited behind the rope, we had a great chat with a couple from Ohio. Surprisingly, they had visited the same parks that we did, so we traded stories while waiting for the rope to drop. Meanwhile, the cast members from the Coaster and the Tower were coaxing people to go to their rides first...pretty funny stuff. They kept reminding people that it makes no sense to go ahead of them at 9:00 because they are the ones that operate the ride...and they will take their time....

Meanwhile, my wife was snapping pictures of the street leading to the tower and the surrounding buildings..the scenary with the Christmas decorations really impressed her.

Eventually, the rope was removed and the welcome message was broadcast...and we were off! I can understand why Disney has decided to implement the walking policy....someone could get hurt.

I have to say right from the start that I'm a huge rollercoaster fan....and the Rock n Roller Coaster just plain rocks!!! I was really impressed. Dana just screamed her head off but at least she gets on the rides with me. We then went to the Tower of Terror...no wait for this one! We particularly noticed the way Disney pays attention to the queue areas with the different rooms and such...

We then headed over to the far side of the park for Star Tours. No wait again! This ride was pretty cool. If you find that Body Wars makes you a bit queasy, don't let it put you off of Star Tours....with that said, it was pretty cool.
The next stop was the Great Movie Ride. This one hasn't changed much from the last time I was there. My wife really liked this one.

Well we now had the four major rides done...so we could take our time exploring the rest of the parks. We decided then to catch the MuppetVision 3D attraction. No wait again...we both really liked this one. Afterwards, we went to the Magic of Disney Animation tour. Walter and Robin are still there but their roles have been reduced from a few years ago. We then met a Disney animator who did some drawings around the new movie "The Emperor's New Groove". Just so that you aspiring Disney animator's know, for every position that becomes available they get 1500 applicants. He suggested that if you are interested in Disney animation, be able to draw the human form well. They ended the tour with a movie presentation of some of the greatest moments in Disney animation....pretty cool and worth checking out.

The next stop before lunch was the Backlot tour.
It is pretty much the same as before but good nevertheless. My wife was scared to death that she would get soaked in Catastrophe Canyon..but we got off lucky. Her other highlight of the tour was getting a picture of the "Golden Girls House".

When we came off the backlot tour, we ran into....Santa Goofy! More opportunities for photos! By this time, it was about 45 minutes before our PS at the Sci-Fi Cafe. We made the PS only the day before so that was cool. To be honest, I have heard some less than glowing reviews but I'm a sci-fi fan.

So what was the verdict....it was great!!!!! We were both impressed with the decor. The "chicken burgers" were the size of 2 regular chicken breasts! The fries were crispy, the shakes were thick....we both highly recommend the place but do make PS's! The place is popular!

Afterwards, we then watched the Milan parade which was pretty neat before going over to Sounds Dangerous. After that, it was on to the Backstage Pass tour looking at sets from 102 Dalmations and Home Improvement. I'm always intrigued by this behind the scenes stuff. My wife, equally intrigued, took photos left right and centre.

By the time all this was done, it was near 4:30 and a choice had to be made. The choice was between Fantasmic and the Osbourne Christmas Lights. The lights start at 6 while Fantasmic starts at 7 but they suggest you be there a lot earlier! Fortunately, the great thing about Disney is that it won't be moving to Tibet anytime soon so you can always come back to see things that you missed before. With that in mind, we decided to see the Osbourne Christmas lights. To pass the time, we did some souvenir shopping and watched the performance of three guys from the "Public Utilities Company" having their Xmas party....hilarious stuff!

We started making our way to the New York set to where the lights were and watched another performance of two Italians trying to buy a Xmas tree..another funny setup. We eventually got to the front of the crowd.

Words can't describe the look of 5 million Xmas lights along the back street used in the backlot tour. Absolutely sensational!! The crowds were a little thick but manageable...we felt we made the right choice. Fantasmic will have to wait until our next trip!

After the lights, we made our way back to the buses and the resort. All in all, a great day...with the best day yet to come.

Next day: Magic Kingdom

[This message was edited by kking on 12-14-00 at 11:06 AM.]

I love MGM. :D TOT AND RNR are my two favorite rides. :D

I'm glad you enjoyed your day. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

Lisa

<p align=center> <font color=#FF0000 font size=4> Happy Holidays</font>
gift41.gif

<A HREF="http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/lisatx/index.html" TARGET=_blank> <font color=blue font face="Times New Roman" >Visit my DISney website -
trip reports and scrapbook pages!</A>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter