Our HEA dessert party experience 4/16

We did the party on a sold out night in October. the garden viewing area had lots of people, sure, but it was still pretty roomy. Certainly roomy enough to find a new spot if someone hoisted their kid on their shoulders. Has this changed since October? Are they now admitting more guests than before? Need to know as we have this booked in just a few days from now. Thanks!!!

My daughter and I had such a great experience with this party last September, that I have booked it for four of us in August. I hope that we aren't rushed and overcrowded because my husband has already questioned the cost.

but it was still pretty roomy. Certainly roomy enough to find a new spot if someone hoisted their kid on their shoulders.
I am not sure if they are allowing in more people than before, but from our experience there was some room to move, but once the fireworks started there seemed to be a shift of people to move up towards the front railing -which was where we ended up. Possibly if you are on the back railing the view might be better. I had originally wanted to grab a spot on the back railing, but hubby found a spot in the middle of the garden area, but of course once it started, everyone stood up and move forward. So if you happened to be short and right behind the crowd of people up at the fence you could not see. We managed to maneuver our way to a spot so we could see. It sounds like sometimes everyone sits and other times everyone stands -- that can make a big difference in what the experience is like. I would have loved to just sit and watch it.

I hope that we aren't rushed
OP here -This was our first time doing any sort of dessert party so we didn't know what to expect so we heeded the input of the CM, i guess if we were to ever do it again we would know that we could wait until closer to fireworks time to venture over and still be able to find a spot. I now believe that unless you are going on a day where the crowd will be a 9 or 10 you should be able to find a spot. A PP mentioned staking out a spot and hour ahead, someone getting cupcakes from the bakery and sitting and enjoying the desserts that would be far better than what you get at the dessert party. This will be our plan next time. I don't think it is worth the close to $400 that we spent for our party of 7. That could have been a very nice dinner AND we could have bought our cupcakes or ice cream with just as good of a view.

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I hope you don't let this one ruin your thoughts on all dessert parties.

We did it in November and loved it mostly. My experience was a little different than you and mostly our own fault for what happened to us. We had booked this on a night that we were in Epcot during the day (would be our only Epcot day). We had a 4:30 Chefs De France ADR then would be park hopping to MK. Well we spent that day doing 2 rides (TT and FEA) and then drank around the world for most of it. We probably went a little too fast as we finished (including about 3 or 4 food and wine booths) at about 4pm. We started at 11:30/12. We were definitely a little tipsy and feeling our drinks. We went to our ADR and didn't eat much and decided we needed to rest in the room. We headed to the room for a quick break (like 30ish minutes) and rolled up at the dessert party probably 30 minutes before fireworks started. We checked in, used the bathroom, were given a togo box for desserts, and boxed up as much as we could before we headed to the garden. We found a spot for two right by the entrance and plopped down. 10ish minutes later the fireworks went off.

My point in my experience being that I hope yours was a rare occurrence and that you try it again someday. It really was a great experience for us and although we didn't eat many desserts or spend our time at the party wisely, we looked at it after based on the fact we wouldn't have watched HEA without it.

We did the party on Sat, April 21st. No rushing after checking in at the time we were told to - 7:45pm. In fact I'd say we were in the first 1/4 of tables seated and had no wait for the desserts unlike later. It was my second time doing this party. Last was in October and it was an absolute horror getting from the dessert area to the viewing but fine once inside there. That night everyone sat which frankly is one of the benefits of the location IMO. If I couldn't sit I'd stand in the back. But this time when the fireworks started the people who had recently walked in and sat down in the back of the first area ahead of us (we were in the middle grassy area) jumped up to attention and started pressing forward. The other side of the viewing area remained seated thru the entire show. So up we stood so we could see although the people right behind us obviously had the same thought as us - remain sitting! :headache:

What a bummer! I've done the HEA dessert party twice and had wonderful experiences both times! The first was last summer. I was by myself and got there plenty early because I was by myself and didn't have to wait for anyone ;) I got a seat right by the railing facing the Plaza garden area. CMs made me feel at home, and told me to take my time. I headed down to the garden early to snag a good spot. I was in the front right by the railing. I didn't realize until it started that I was right behind a small obstruction, but I sucked it up and stayed there because I didn't want to get in anyone else's way.
The next time was in October with DD15. It was a Saturday night between MNSSHPs so I decided we should do the dessert party, knowing it was be crazy. Boy oh boy was it! We ended up being one of the last groups there. The usual seating area was actually full, so they seated us in the back section of the terrace viewing party area and we went to that buffet. Never once were we told to rush and get down to the garden. In fact, they've always told us to take our time and head down whenever we're ready. The second party (October), it was crazy getting down to the garden. The CM leading us down did his best, but half of us got separated. Luckily I knew where we were going so I guided everyone where they needed to go. The garden area still wasn't crazy, but this time DD and I decided to go towards the back. I liked it back there because I could lean against the fence. I will not sit down because I don't know if I'd ever be able to get back up lol. Funny thing at this party though, there was a family of 3 that decided to hop the back fence to get into the garden viewing area. I was kind of in awe that someone would do that, but as they were handing the baby across a CM came over and told them (very nicely and calmly) that they could not sit in the garden. They yelled, they cursed, but they left. They knew very well that they weren't supposed to go in there, and I was happy a CM came and asked them to leave.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I'm surprised, too. Hopefully Disney will get in touch with you and make it better. I do highly recommend doing a dessert party during October between Halloween Parties, though. It was a madhouse that night!

I agree. I don't get how a person can be so oblivious to the other people around them -- or I guess just too self-centered to care. I'll never understand it. I was raised to be courteous and conscientious of people around me and how my actions might affect others.
Agreed. And if you try to appeal to these type of people to be a bit more courteous, they can be so nasty.

I have to admit, that when we did the JBJB dessert party last December, we were at the back rail of the viewing area (after tips on here to get back as far as possible.) Everyone from the party stood when the show started, including everyone along the back rail. In fact, there was a short concrete wall/curb thing that the railing was on, and we stood up on that. The non-party people behind us were a full level lower than we were, and then we stood up and stood on an elevated surface in our already elevated "MVP" spot. I heard some of them yelling for us to sit down, but if we had, we would not have been able to see over the party-goers in front of us. We paid $80 a pop for that party and viewing spot, so as bad as I felt for the peeps behind us, I didn't feel bad enough to get an obstructed view. There were other places for regular park guests to watch the show besides directly behind the dessert party viewing area. I'm sure the people farther back and to each side weren't terribly bothered by us.

I still felt kind of bad. It's just my nature to try to be accommodating.

Sitting vs Standing...

This one causes a lot of issues. I have relayed before experience at the former VIP area in front of Caseys. A bunch of people were sitting in there, I came in and was standing at the railing in front to which they started commenting about they were there first and everyone was sitting. I asked "Your going to stand when the show begins right ? Because everyone else coming in here will.." They got mouthy about how rude I was (and truthfully if everyone stayed sitting I would have sat too), but sure enough it got closer to show time people began to cram in there, and all were standing forcing everyone to stand. I felt bad about a family with a disabled older relative in a wheelchair, everyone let him to the railing, but no way would see over the people outside. (Wish they would have taken him to the disabled viewing area originally) Tempers were heated and on verge of violence. I previously had never seen people sit and expect to stay sitting for fireworks.. they always stand, and always cram in/push for better view. Thinking your great spot you found an hour before the show is going to stay that great when 5000 more people come in is not realistic.

Disney has no 'Standard' on this and causes a lot of anger from differing view points. But has gotten worse with it always being crowded.

But the party is a fixed number of people...so may be able to pull it off there.

It's so interesting how different groups have different dynamics. The night we did it I'm pretty sure the whole area remained seated on the grass. We certainly did. It was wonderful.

We did the experience last month. Everyone in our group stayed seated, and I assumed this was the case at all parties. It was one of many aspects of the dessert party that we did not like. The people in front of us not in the dessert party— basically the whole hub packed with people— were standing, and it blocked our view of many projections onto the castle. I walked away wondering why I had paid so much to sit and not see an integral part of the show.

For what it’s worth, we also did the Star Wars dessert party in the same trip and loved it. The issues that I’m reading over and over about HEA dessert party in this thread are resolved in that party. The pace is more relaxed (we even had time to visit some characters in Launch Bay). There’s some really killer desserts (Nutella mousse in liquid nitrogen with raspberry syrup). The specialty drinks are good (of course, the booze adds an advantage there). There is a take-away gift, and the CM’s made sure everyone had a bottle of water for the viewing. And, while the expectation is sitting, the seating is front row, so we could actually see all projections. I would do that one again, while the HEA party is a hard “no.”

We had a different experience on 4/09. We arrived around 7:35 and had plenty of time to eat. I totally agree with you about the desserts. Totally lackluster and mediocre. We walked over around 8:15 and were the first ones in the viewing area. We moved all the way to the back along the rail. We had a great view and no one stood directly in front of us. I wouldn’t do it a second time, especially after experiencing the awesomeness of the Star Wars Fireworks Party at DHS. Amazing experience. Doesn’t even compare. We did love the HEA actual show, though.

I personally would rather just pay the extra 10-20 dollars to do Terrace View. Maybe if this is your first time seeing the show or you really like the stage projections of HEA and want to see the fireworks shoot up directly over the castle, Garden and Plaza View is better but I personally wouldn't pay a bunch of money for a dessert party just to get that kind of view; I'd just grab a spot in front of the castle early. With Terrace View, you're not going to get the absolute picture perfect best view of the fireworks and projection show, but as someone who has done both I preferred it because I could still enjoy desserts even during the show and shortly after.

What a bummer! I've done the HEA dessert party twice and had wonderful experiences both times! The first was last summer. I was by myself and got there plenty early because I was by myself and didn't have to wait for anyone ;) I got a seat right by the railing facing the Plaza garden area. CMs made me feel at home, and told me to take my time. I headed down to the garden early to snag a good spot. I was in the front right by the railing. I didn't realize until it started that I was right behind a small obstruction, but I sucked it up and stayed there because I didn't want to get in anyone else's way.
The next time was in October with DD15. It was a Saturday night between MNSSHPs so I decided we should do the dessert party, knowing it was be crazy. Boy oh boy was it! We ended up being one of the last groups there. The usual seating area was actually full, so they seated us in the back section of the terrace viewing party area and we went to that buffet. Never once were we told to rush and get down to the garden. In fact, they've always told us to take our time and head down whenever we're ready. The second party (October), it was crazy getting down to the garden. The CM leading us down did his best, but half of us got separated. Luckily I knew where we were going so I guided everyone where they needed to go. The garden area still wasn't crazy, but this time DD and I decided to go towards the back. I liked it back there because I could lean against the fence. I will not sit down because I don't know if I'd ever be able to get back up lol. Funny thing at this party though, there was a family of 3 that decided to hop the back fence to get into the garden viewing area. I was kind of in awe that someone would do that, but as they were handing the baby across a CM came over and told them (very nicely and calmly) that they could not sit in the garden. They yelled, they cursed, but they left. They knew very well that they weren't supposed to go in there, and I was happy a CM came and asked them to leave.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I'm surprised, too. Hopefully Disney will get in touch with you and make it better. I do highly recommend doing a dessert party during October between Halloween Parties, though. It was a madhouse that night!

I was there in October too! On a Saturday! And I saw somebody trying to pass their baby over! We might have been at the same party! We sat down right in front of the people on the back rails....

The crowds were NUUUUUUTS that night, so maybe any time where HEA is scarce it is worth it....I might want to brave the crowd when it’s more frequent....

We had a similar experience in December. When we checked in the CM told us the party had 150 people added to it last minute as part of some event. They ran out of food and drinks early. People were really upset because they couldn't even get a cup of coffee.

We did it once to see the new fireworks show but never again. This trip we watched HEA from behind the castle. You don't get the projections but it was a much nicer experience.
We're paying $248 for our 4 this fall and my DH will absolutely be at Guest Services if they run out of food and drinks. They can't just add a bunch of people without having a plan for the desserts otherwise they need to be offering refunds. It is a dessert party hence we expect desserts and coffee which is standard with desserts even at a cheap local family restaurant here.

Not impressed with our dessert party experience last week. LONG buffet lines, hard to find a table, had to ask for allergy safe treats FOUR times and it took them 25minutes to bring us an allergy plate of popcorn, gummy bears, breakfast bread and 4tiny tiny cupcakes.

Last edited:
So for anyone who is curious as to the response I received from WDW. I figured they might take more ownership for the poor experience but the way I read it they turned the issue on to me. As if I should have stepped away from watching the fireworks to find a CM or should have spent time at guest services at the end of the night with during the mass exodus of people to discuss it then.

Anyways here you go if you are interested:

Dear Nicole,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

Thank you for your email to the Walt Disney World® Resort. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We are sorry for the disappointments you mentioned in your email. It is our goal to create magical memories and exceed the expectations of our Guests during each and every interaction that you have with us.

In the past, there was a time where the Garden viewing area had been pretty full, however, since then we have made moves to limit the amount of availability to remedy that for sure!
As we do our best to make enough rules to have everyone follow, we are happy that you are understanding in this situation.
If you decide to take advantage of this experience again, please do not hesitate to vocalize your concerns to a Cast Member at the location as soon as you can. If you need to as well, bring your concerns to Guest Relations! Any Cast Member at the location would be happy to assist you with your stay in person, and they would be elated even more to help you with your issues in the expedience that you deserve. It can be very difficult to assist everyone, but we strive to make your experiences magical!

Once again, thank you for contacting us. We sincerely hope that we will have an opportunity to entertain you soon.

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this email or by calling us at 407-939-7765 and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Dane Young
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

but once the show started the couple right up at the front railing decided to hoist their kids up on their shoulders -- they had the essentially front row and still needed to put their kids up,
Seems as there are always inconsiderate clowns wherever one goes. Terrible.

That is one reason we stay back by the back fence, unobstructed views.

The bathrooms in the restaurant area itself are very small and can’t handle the volume of people who want to make a pit stop
Those Tomorrowland Terrace restrooms are about on par with LTT restrooms. About the smallest in all of WDW. :crowded:

How awful. We did the party presidents week this year and it was awesome. Not rushed at all. Found a decent spot and everyone stayed seated so everyone could see. There were a few that stood but they were courteous enough to do it to the side. It's unfortunate that your experience was ruined by self centered people. I have never understood the shoulder hoist thing - drives me crazy. I'm sure if your party had gotten up and pushed your way in front of this person they would have pitched a fit - imagine that

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter