Our first trip...HELP!!

I think the TGM touring plans are a great idea for a first timer. And I don't blame you for sticking with the DxDDP. The ressies you've made sound great-just be sure to plan your park days around them to minimize your transportation times.

Some things I tell friends who are going for the first time:

1. While I don't think it's necessary to rent a car when you're staying on site, recognize that the Disney transportation system takes time. If you're thinking about renting a car anyway, I'd suggest saving that $$ and just getting a cab occasionally. It's usually not terribly expensive and the time savings can be huge-especially when you're trying to get from resort to resort, as there is no direct transportation available. And a cab is invaluable when you're trying to get back to the resort at park closing with an exhausted five year old!

2. It's really really easy to fall into the "Disney Commando Style" trap on your first visit (heck, even on your tenth trip!). You're trying to squeeze soooo much into such a short time that you end up practically running from attraction to attraction, going full steam from sun up till midnight, and by day three, everybody's tired, cranky, and it's not nearly as much fun as it *should* be (especially true for a five year old!!). You're staying at an absolutely **awesome** resort that deserves its own scheduled time. Take advantage of it. Slow down and relax for a bit each day. Use the pools. Be back at the resort to watch the fireworks from the beach. If you're going to go totally commando and spend virtually all of your time at the Parks, and the resort is nothing more than a place to sleep, outside of improved transportation options, there's no great reason to stay at a deluxe.

3. I guess my "controversial" advice would be to avoid EMH parks like the plague. We always plan to visit each park on the day *after* they've had evening EMH. Our experience has been that crowds are always minimized the following day, as most on-site guests attend evening EMH and then don't do the same park the next day.

4. Before you arrive, have each family member choose their own "must-do's" in each park. Give every person's choices the same priority, and make sure that nobody leaves without hitting their own personal must-dos!!

5. Whatever you do, if you find yourselves in a situation where your plans aren't working, your family is getting cranky, and you're just not having fun, STOP!! Toss the plans out, have a discussion about what everybody really wants to do at that moment, and then just DO IT. Forget your reservations. The heck with the touring plan. Who cares if you miss a "must see" if nobody's happy? Give yourself permission to go with the flow. Do all of your planning up front, have a really good idea of what you want to do each day. Then relax and don't be afraid to change your plans to suit your families' immediate needs.

Have a BLAST!!

Wow, everyone gave great advice. We just got back from our first trip, it was great but went so fast.

Take pictures, lots of them, and get the photopass, the photographer will take pictures and take with your camera so all are in. Then you can view from home. Mark your card with your initials so you know you have the right card. You get them from any photog or the resorts.

Rest and look around, don't run constantly.

Be early for parades and not yell when some stops in front of your, just ask them to move on.

The transportation system is great. I longest ride I think we had was 30 minutes, most of the time it was just us since we went early for breakfast reservations. Take pictures while you wait in line to get into parks.

Remember, they will check your bags EACH time you enter the parks so have them ready to go while you are in line.

The resorts have park maps at the desks so you can look at them and get ready for the next day they also have the extra house info.

Most importantly: Have fun!! It is the happiest place on earth and I wanna go back today!

Stop and enjoy the magic of it all! Sometimes we get so caught up in 'doing it all' we forget to enjoy what is around us. I love just gazing in ahw at that beautiful castle! :lovestruc (So do my kids which are similar in age to yours)
When the kids want to swim we go back and swim, when they are hungry feed them (even if your lunch/supper is in an hour) if they are tired - take a break....it will avoid meltdowns! :rotfl:

You are staying at the Poly and will love the convience of the trans. there.

We always reserve our last day and call it 'greatest hits day' we go back to each park and do our favorites. It's a whirlwind of a day, tons of park hopping - but we love it! :goodvibes

HAVE FUN!!!
Jen

You guys give great advice! I am going to avoid EMH parks and just plan on being at that park the day after for rope drop. I think that's why I managed to get such great ADR's...I'm staying away from the draw of the park on those days.

You all are so right about enjoying the trip and I know I'll have to remind myself of this about 100 more times before we leave in October! I'm a big planner and I feel relaxed when I know what is going on. But I did PLAN for relaxation time too. LOL I love the idea of getting to a park for rope drop, hitting our must do's early, have lunch and then head back for some Poly time in the afternoon then hit the parks again in the evenings.

We haven't actually told our kids yet, either. It's too special of a trip to casually bring it up in conversation. We are brainstorming ideas on how to tell them. You tube has some pretty funny ideas. Anyone do anything special to break the news?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter