Our "Do we really have to wait 'til March?" PTR

wvnative

DIS Veteran
Let's get the basics out of the way first.

Who: At this point it's just me (38 by then) :surfweb: my daughter (19 by then):teacher:. It's entirely possible she may drag a friend along and my sister is currently contemplating joining us but she almost always cancels. :confused3

When: This is the depressing part. lol Although I'd love to go in late September for her birthday and/or mine in November, it's looking like I won't be able to afford to go until March. The good news is I can't think of a better way to spend Spring Break this year. haha The current plan is March 18-21 but that may change if either of us ends up with a Saturday class during the spring session. We'll then have to go at the beginning of break instead of the end.

Where: Why the Happiest Place on Earth of course! This will be my 6th trip and her 5th since I went this past March while she was on a school trip. lol Oh, and I guess we're supposed to spend one day split between Universal and the beach as well.

Why: Um.. because we can? Like I said, it's spring break. Her first from college! It's also the one vacation we absolutely agree on. There's no bickering at/about DL.

What: A most needed and well deserved vacation. I think that college is going to be a huge eye opener for my kid. All that responsibility! haha

Our usual plan of action is to leave our home in AZ at around 6 am. That will be the plan this time as well. It's the only time I get no complaints about waking her up that early. :lmao: That normally puts us in the DLR area around noon. I'm hoping that HOJO posts ENT rates for our dates and I'm waiting to book until they list the dates for March. If they don't do those dates, we'll probably stay a little closer.

We'll have 3 days at DL and a day at Universal if the plan doesn't change. We've already chosen where we'd like to dine this trip and I'll be picking up gift cards for the off site spots soon as I'm trying to spread the costs out as much as possible. I've already set a calendar reminder for when I can call for PS.

As I'm a bit of an anal over planner, I've been updating my lists and the book I take in the car that has all the pertinent info. Maps, reservation info, PS arrangements, etc. Very soon I'll start collecting mickey heads for a countdown so I can have that all ready to go come the first of the year. I think we actually hit 90 days (when I normally post the countdown) about a week before Christmas but we'll be busy, and then busy recovering from and removing all traces of Christmas, through New Year's so I've opted to wait this year. I've even written out a couple of scavenger hunts for her to do to make the things I will give her before the trip more interesting. lol

I am also seriously considering AP's this trip. I believe our last day is a block out day though so I'd have to wait until then to do them. It would certainly make the trip(s) after this one less expensive. :thumbsup2

Anyway, we usually leave around 3 pm on Sunday to come home and I'm sure that will be the case again in March. I think I'm going to take that Monday off from work as well. I'd hate to drive that long on Sunday and then try to get up at 5 am on Monday. Plus, there's always a chance we'll get stuck in traffic coming back into Phoenix.

Well, I think that's it for now. I'll be back to post more when I can't handle the excitement anymore. lol :woohoo:

Yesterday I spent some time looking through the dining thread again. Golly some of that food looks absolutely mouth watering. The kid was looking over my shoulder as I was reading and when she saw the pics of Goofy's kitchen she was intrigued. The only character meal we've done is Ariel's, back before they changed their menu, as she's a big princess fan. So, I think we may add Goofy's for breakfast one day. She was amused that she could have salmon for breakfast. lol

Anyone have suggestions on the best seating time there?

Today is apparently a day of "finally's". The college finally approved my grant. YAY! Only took them more than 2 months. Corporate finally posted our holiday schedule for 2010. I just got done updating our excel vacation tracking sheet to show the correct calendars and, of course, updated the days I plan to take off for next year. As it turns out, I'll have plenty of days available next year to go ahead and take the Wed before we leave for DLR off as well as the Monday after we get back. NICE! :yay:

ME:
Day4-1Pluto.jpg

Last but not least, my procastinating teenager finally contacted the high school to get a copy of her transcript and have a form for an additional grant filled out. popcorn::

The procrastinating teenager.
IMG_2748.jpg

I am thinking that this trip we may do a lot more of the gift cards. I usually pick up one or two for a restaurant we may want to try anyway but I'm thinking we'll go beyond that this time around. For instance, I normally get gas at the Valero station by my house. Turns out there's a truck stop in Indio that has a Valero station and is not too far off from where we'd want to get gas anyway. So, I'll pick up a fuel card from there so there's no chance of spending the gas money. lol There's a pizza hut about an hour beyond there coming home. The kid suggested that we get a gift card for pizza hut too and forego Wendy's this trip. I had already planned to get cards for a couple of places in DTD. I think it will make it much easier for me to budget if the money is already "spent". Plus, with the Valero card, if we don't use it all on the trip I can just use the rest next time I fill up. Now, I should see if I can figure out how to go about ordering GK voucher's since we've decided that's our character meal this trip. I'll just need to do some research and discern what time to try for PS.

Someone posted earlier, not sure if it was on this board or not, about being able to use multiple free entree coupons from Mimi's (or was it Millie's) at one meal. i.e: each of us getting one and being able to each use one at the same meal. Apparently the coupon you print is only good for a couple of weeks though so I'll have to do that shortly before we go. Still, a full breakfast for the cost of our drinks would be awesome. Mimi's is our usual haunt when we actually go out for breakfast here at home anyway.

Sing me up :cool1: It was great to meet you back in March and now you get to plan another trip. How awesome is that. Too bad you wont be able to make it out for any birthdays this year. I swear I'm begging half the people I know for a little donation a la birthday presents for September for us. Can't wait to read more.

I really enjoyed meeting you two as well. I know! I can't believe she veto'd DL for her birthday. Although, we do both have school to consider. lol We can't do Christmastime yet, my mom would freak. That leaves spring break. I'm trying not to get too excited since it's still so far out, but sometimes a body just can't help but be a little excited. lol

Check you out though. You'll be there in a month!

O.k. so obviously the new thing on my itinerary this time around, Goofy's Kitchen, has been on my mind a lot. It's an exciting unknown. It has dawned on my over tired brain this morning that I have no idea how to even get to it, much less being concerned about what time to be there.

O.k. GK experts, how long will it take to walk from the espanade to the restaurant?

I know, I know! :rotfl: I just couldn't pass up my birthday!!

I wish I had some insight on walking to GK from the esplanade. I could give you my two cents when we get back. I'm trying to remember how long it took me to walk from DLH back in 2006 but it's way too long ago for me to remember.

Sherry would know though :thumbsup2

And she sure did. She answered it in someone else's thread. lol

I wish HOJO would post their March ent dates already. lol I'm getting dizzy looking at hotel prices. :surfweb: I can get the Travelodge on Ball @ Disneyland Dr for less than HOJO but I'm not sure about the walk. GAT has a great price on the Ayres but it's too far to walk and would require us to do the shuttle thing or pay to park at DL.

As if it wasn't obvious before, the fact that I need a Disney fix was glaringly obvious this morning as I posted on another non Disney forum. lol I had at least one Disney reference in both the "sights that make you say WOW" and "sounds that make you go ahhh". lol

There aren't really any new developments. HOJO still hasn't posted March ent rates. I am picking up my new book today though. Anyone need a card? I'll have an extra. I have been doing a bit of research and found that GAT has some pretty good deals when I combine flight and hotel. :surfweb: I'm seriously considering flying this time around if I can get a good deal.

My kid is planning to go to 6 Flags with her friends in January to celebrate a birthday so I'm hoping that means I can cancel the Universal portion of our trip and save myself the money. Universal adds no less than $100 to the cost after all and I can think of WAY better ways to spend $100 at Disneyland. lol

Looking at our potential class schedules for spring, I think we can do without a Saturday class next semester. :teacher: That means our dates stay the same. That's really good considering I've been volunteered (by my mom) to help out at the Phoenix quilt show the weekend before. I'll be running her registration desk. lol

Only... gosh, I don't honestly know as I haven't looked lately, let me check... 183 days to go.

There aren't really any new developments. HOJO still hasn't posted March ent rates. I am picking up my new book today though. Anyone need a card? I'll have an extra. I have been doing a bit of research and found that GAT has some pretty good deals when I combine flight and hotel. :surfweb: I'm seriously considering flying this time around if I can get a good deal.

Hey, if you don't need the extra I'd take it off your hands for ya, lol:lmao:

Hopefully these 180 or so days go by quickly. You need your DLR fix and you need it now!

It's all yours! PM your address and I'll put it in the mail tomorrow.

Someone was kind enough to send me a free one (before I found out the school was indeed selling them) and since there will be one in my book...well, it's always nice to share. lol

Sharing is great, especifally when it comes to something Disneyland related. I'm helping a co-worker get cheaper tickets for her and her family for the end of the month for a lot cheaper than what they were looking to spend.

Big thanks :D And I'll PM you in a minute.

And what trick are we using to get cheaper tickets? lol

Got your PM. I'll send it out in the mail tomorrow.

So... I got my new entertainment book last night. The card is at the reception desk waiting for the mailman BellaElla. I'd think you'll see it in a couple of days. Anyway, while I was there talking to my friend (I bought the book from her daughter) we were discussing tour schedules. She'd be doing DLR with me if the school drama/choir tour wasn't at the same time. They used to do it a week earlier. Then she was saying she may have to only do a portion of the tour. If so, she was going to try for the first portion. Then she could do her return flight to SNA and join us at DLR. lol So, we may in fact have one more on our trip if she gets her way. lol In addition to her FT job, she does the occassional childcare job for the people she used to do provide FT care for. Apparently that woman works for a hotel owner so my friend was going to see if they had a hotel in the DLR area and if they could get us a deal on it. That would be AWESOME! I just love my friend. lol

I think I just had an epiphany as to who I think my daughter should invite too. She'd be a lot of fun. lol

I think that I'll call and make a reservation at HOJO anyway (at BelleElla's suggestion) just in case. It can be cancelled after all if I need to.

O.k. HOJO is booked but I'm still waiting for them to post the March EC rates. They did just add some more for September. lol Bella did you get your card?

I keep checking SW airlines too just in case they offer a spankin' deal but no such luck. Still only booking through the weekend before we go. lol While I'd love to go that weekend instead, I am already otherwise committed to assist at the Phoenix Quilt Show. Although I could always be persuaded to change my plans I guess, and go right after the quilt show ends, if the numbers work better then. lol I wanted the weekend for shows and such but apparently the ROA will be drained while we're there anyway so Fantasmic! is out as is visiting Pirate's Lair or anything else that requires the water be there. lol With any luck ELP will be going though.

I was in dire need of a Disney fix yesterday so I drug the kid's BF into the Disney store while we were waiting for her to take some tests at the college. He was a good sport. :thumbsup2 I know. It's not quite the same thing, apples to oranges really :confused3, but it was the best I could do. lol I did pick up two shopping bags, a new popcorn bowl and the first of the 3 scavenger hunt prizes. I still need to get a lanyard and I think I planned either a movie or disney dollars for the third one.

I picked up LGMH's from HD over the weekend to mail to a gal in Australia Those went out in Monday's mail. I also picked up some to make our new luggage tags although I'm rethinking that now and think I'd rather have them done a little differently in case we do end up flying. I think I may make a folded one using my Mickey cookie cutter as the shape so the names and contact info aren't so easily viewable. I'll have to make a note to get that done. lol

So, I cut out our new luggage tags but I still need to get the addresses inside and then get them laminated. That will require me to actually remember to bring them with me one day. lol I have a terrible memory. :confused3

I also drug (o.k. not really... she was more than willing and even spent a little money herself) my kid to the Disney store yesterday so I could pick up the first of our Disney dollars that will be used for in park food during out trip. It was only $20 but hey, it's a start. I had printed out some spiffy little envelopes yesterday for each thing we are saving towards as well as our tip envelopes (while I was at it..lol) and it felt kind of nice to be putting the "money" into the envelope. Now, if I can just convince the kid to contribute. :laughing:

Still no March rates from HOJO and SW Airlines is no help either as they are still not booking beyond March 12th. I did get some decent rates for a rental car though in case we end up needing one. My car apparently has a minor issue that makes my mom panicky about us driving it to Anaheim. I'd much rather spend the extra money than give my mom a panic attack. :scared1: With any luck the issue will be fixed by then though and it'll be a moot point. Just gotta finish the bathroom remodel and get through the holidays first. :thumbsup2

howdy neighbor :wave2: i am in chandler as well...my sister and i are heading to mickey's house in january and i too am getting a bit stir crazy. i look forward to hearing about your trip once it comes along. good luck with deals on hotel/airfare/etc and enjoy the planning process! :thumbsup2

Have I mentioned that I'm really glad that the mall across from the college has a Disney store? lol It makes it easy to stop for disney dollars after class.

My sister's BF is back from his sabatical to CO and while visiting with his dog the other day I was talking to the BF about going with us. He's about half interested. He did offer to fix the problem with my car though so that's a plus. That'll save me the cost of a rental car. lol I doubt they'll go but I know they'd have fun if they did.

I think I'm going to rerun some numbers today to make sure my budget is right. Somehow the numbers don't look right.

Golly. Lots of readers but not many commenting. Oh well. I do the same thing from time to time. I'm going to apologize now for this not being very upbeat. The past couple of weeks or so has been more than stressful and I'm exhausted.

It's been a hectic couple of weeks. My online class is now over but I had a last minute essay assigned on top of my final. I did well on both though and ended up with a good solid A. The timing was just about perfect as now, half way through the semester, one of my other instructors has decided she wants us to actually read the book. lol At least now I'll have time. haha

I was asked to do some sewing for the backdrops of the high school's fall play or musical. They want those by Saturday so I'll need to work on them this evening in order to get them done in time. I'm also handling any issues with my mom's charity quilt group while she's gone.

My grandma has taken a detour. She fell and broke her hip a couple of months ago and has been in a long term care facility for recovery since. She's decided we're all in on some conspiracy and that we're keeping her there against her will. Her Dr's have diagnosed her with dementia, paranoia, and bi-polar disorder. Plus, they say she has a mrsa infection in her kidneys. Her housemate died on the 9th as well so that severely limits her chances of going home again as she can't take care of herself and required 24 hour care now. Anyway, as her POA and executor, mom had to fly back to WV to deal with all of this stuff and find her a long term place to live as her insurance only covers this place for another week or so. Mom will be home on Friday. She's really stressed and I tend to take on some of her stress when it gets this bad. Not to mention teh company that handles my RX coverage is driving me nuts. Between them and my Dr's office, who is usually really good, I'm about ready to scream. lol

Anyway, I got really excited when I say Lorealle had posted a new update to the EC rates. What a bummer! They only added a couple of additional dates to months that were already posted. I really wish they'd post March so I could get that part of my planning completed. I know I still have plenty of time but I'd really like my numbers to jive better. :teacher:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter