Our Disney Give A Day Experience - with pictures!

courtneylauren

DCP Fall Adv. 2014 Alumni - Epcot Vacation Planner
Hi everyone!
We volunteered today. It was SUCH a rewarding experience!
We went to Feed the Children Houston where we assembled/packed boxes of food. All of the volunteers (about 30 of us - and about 1/2 were there for Disney) together packed 1720 boxes in 2 1/2 hours! Each box has 26 pounds of food in it! Our shift was supposed to be from 9-12, but we finished early at 11:30. They said our group packaged the most boxes ever packaged in a single morning.
We stood in an assembly line (we were at the beginning), and started sending the boxes down the wheels after putting our cans in. Each volunteer was standing in line, double sided, in front of a different food item, such as tomatoes, beans, rice, cereal, pasta, and peanut butter. When the box got to them, they put their item in and passed it along.
It was pretty exhausting, bending down, getting the cans, reaching for the boxes, etc. but it was very rewarding to know that we fed 1720 families in 2 1/2 hours of work! We had a great time and we definitely will be returning to Feed the Children to volunteer again!

IMG_4328.jpg

IMG_4329.jpg

IMG_4332.jpg

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_4338.jpg

IMG_4339.jpg

IMG_4340.jpg

IMG_4342.jpg

IMG_4343.jpg

:)

Wow, that is so wonderful!! I'm glad you had such a good time and helped so many families!! :goodvibes

We only have a couple of organizations here that are involved.

One is only holding an event in April or May.

So, we just sent off an e-mail to another one. Since we are leaving at the end of February, we may have a hard time finding a volunteer job before then.

We will still volunteer even if it's after our trip, we will just donate our tickets for sick children and their families.

Fantastic pictures! The Disney shirts were a nice touch. What a great cause!

We volunteer at an animal shelter on February 11. We can't wait!

I'm going to move this to the promotion forum. Thanks Rich

Hi,

Just so you know my dh, dd, and I prepped the food for ya'll last weekend...(along with several others). We removed the plastic wrap and moved the cans from one pallet to another. 2 pallets / type of food.... We did the peanut butter and kidney beans and helped finish the mac and cheese and pasta.

Great organization!!

BTW...we got our vouchers today so it took about a week.

That is awesome! Glad you enjoyed the time and hope you will continue.

Wow, that is so wonderful!! I'm glad you had such a good time and helped so many families!! :goodvibes

That is so great! Looks like you had a great time.

That is great - what a nice thing!

Fantastic pictures! The Disney shirts were a nice touch. What a great cause!

We volunteer at an animal shelter on February 11. We can't wait!

We has such a great time, we will definitely be back!!

We only have a couple of organizations here that are involved.

One is only holding an event in April or May.

So, we just sent off an e-mail to another one. Since we are leaving at the end of February, we may have a hard time finding a volunteer job before then.

We will still volunteer even if it's after our trip, we will just donate our tickets for sick children and their families.

Hope you can find one in time!

I'm going to move this to the promotion forum. Thanks Rich

Thanks!

Hi,

Just so you know my dh, dd, and I prepped the food for ya'll last weekend...(along with several others). We removed the plastic wrap and moved the cans from one pallet to another. 2 pallets / type of food.... We did the peanut butter and kidney beans and helped finish the mac and cheese and pasta.

Great organization!!

BTW...we got our vouchers today so it took about a week.

Wow - what a small world! Yes, great organization!

Great post. I was looking for something that the whole family can do. We have to wait a couple weeks till my youngest turns 6, but that was the minimum age at this location.

I am hoping we can all do this. We are in Sugarland, where is this place located?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter