Our Aulani Trip!

gwensgoofy

Mouseketeer
Just got back to town, after 13 days on Oahu. We spent 12/20 through 12/27 at Aulani, and the rest down in Waikiki. I'm not able to get pictures posted but thought I would share our experience.
We had a 2bedroom oceanview ., as that was the only view available at the time of booking. I called member services a week before we arrived to request a high floor. We had a lockoff on the 16th floor and loved it. I will always request an ocean view-it was fabulous. We were in room 1656 and 1658. The resort was crowded, but didn't seem overly crowded. We were lucky enough to have points refunded due to construction, and it was minimal enough that I would never have complained about it.
The pool and lagoon are beautiful. We loved the location, especially after experiencing Waikiki.We had a car, but really only used it a couple of days. We stocked up at Safeway, and supplemented our reserves with the Island Market/ABC store across from the resort.

It was expensive, but we went in expecting that. We ate from poolside service, and ordered food a couple of days from the new food service right on the beach. We dined at Ama Ama on Christmas night, and were really disappointed. The food was fine, the service was poor. The entire dining experience, including appetizers took an hour. The server never stopped back at the table once he took our order, and drinks, including water, sat empty for the duration. This was the 730 seating, and it wasn't crowded-we won't go back.

Food was really the only downside for us, and next time we will probably just plan most meals in the room, unless the area gets more restaurants. Monkey Pod, a local chain, was scheduled to open soon, right by Just Tacos. We didn't do the buffets, as I have one son with a severe food allergy (shellfish) and a buffet is just too risky with that allergy. There aren't a lot of options for eating after 7, if you are looking for something like a sandwich, or a casual meal. The new beachside spot had some good options, including a california roll, and 7 layer dip with pita chips, but it also closed before 7.

We loved the resort, and will head back in the summer of 2014, I hope. I didn't understand the need to show my drivers license, as well as my dvc card and room key, to get the merchandise discount, but those in the marketplace told us this was the new policy. I thought most of those working seemed to truly enjoy their jobs, especially the valets, housekeeping and recreation workers.

One other thing-we had reserved a cabana for Christmas Eve, but wound up canceling. They just didn't look like they were worth the money-they stand five in a row, right on top of one another, behind rows of chairs, and seem minimal. We just saved the money and went to the pool early to get a great spot. Someone on the waiting list had to be very happy! Only saw a few trying to save chairs....we just went down early and drank coffee and read the papers while waiting for the pool to open. The new areas of construction look huge, and will have a big impact I'm sure. Happy to answer any questions, as I know I asked a million on these boards getting ready for this trip.

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for posting. We're headed there soon and can't wait. I do have some questions.

Do the refrigerators have ice makers?

When were you notified that points were refunded? We haven't heard boo about that?

Is there storage in the living room of the one BR other than the shelves by the TV?

Did anyone sleep on the bed that folds down from the TV armoire? Comfy?

Thanks.

The icemaker worked great. We had a 2bedroom (lockoff) and there was a closet in the living room area, where the pack/play was stored, and the coffee table top lifts off and stores the blankets/pillows for the sleeper sofa. My 15yr old pulled the mattress out of the murphy bed and laid on it while watching television-it must havel been comfortable, as he fell asleep! We weren't notified about the points being returned, but got a letter just indicating construction. I called MS after seeing posts here about returned points. They indicated that we qualified, even though we were only checking in 12/20 through 12/27 (the refunds were not given for stays after 12/22). I never received notice they were refunded, but my account showed the points back the day after we checked in.

Thank you for the answers. Very nice to get points refunded but it sounds like that won't be happening for us. Was there much construction?

I was told there was a Costco across the street from the resort. Is there any truth in that? Also, did anyone attend a luau while there? If so, what did you think and which one did you attend?

I was told there was a Costco across the street from the resort. Is there any truth in that? Also, did anyone attend a luau while there? If so, what did you think and which one did you attend?

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your POV), Costco is in Kapolei, which is about 2.5 miles away.

The resort has their Starlit hui, think luau but without the food but done in true Disney fashion. It's free and awesome and i definitely recommend it!

For a traditional luau, Paradise Cove is within walking distance of Aulani, DW absolutely loves the food there. There's the FiaFia Luau show at the Marriott Beach Club, also in Ko Olina, but I've never been.

The other 2 popular luaus are Germaine's Luau in Ewa Beach (about 10 minutes away) and the one at Polynesian Cultural Center. Germaine's gets better ratings that Paradise Cove (but just slightly), and the one at PCC is authentic, but admission to the park can get expensive.

You will need a car to get to Costco, there is also a Target right by it.
If you have never been to Hawaii or a luau, you might want to go to one in addition to Starlit Hui....maybe. I hear that one of the Chief's luaus would be best; unfortunately the one called Fia Fia close to Aulani was only on Tuesdays, and we traveled on Tuesdays so we couldn't go to it. We went to Paradise Cove Luau because it was close by. After having been to the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui a few years back, Paradise Cove was not up to par. My daughter wanted to go to another luau or else dh and I would have skipped it. For the least expensive package for three of us it was $191 and not worth that amount, IMHO.
The book "Oahu Revealed" which is a great reference, doesn't really love any of the Oahu luaus. The writers seemed to be right on about many things on the island.

I just returned today, the luau at Paradise Cove is great for first timers. They had some nice activities especially for the kids and things for purchase. We walked there from Aulani which made it very convenient!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter