Our 6-night Disney Christmas Feast! 12/25-12/31-Updated 1-24 w/ Crystal Palace

mrg013

Mouseketeer
We're just back from our holiday trip to WL (12/15-12/31)! We were on the dining plan, which was wonderful! This is my first attempt at dining reviews, so be nice ;)

The Cast:

Me (Matt): 16 years old, junior in high school: Major part of Disney vacation planning, and expert on most things Disney World. I will be your guide for this Disney dining adventure. I made all of our ADRs, persuaded my parents to do the dining plan, and was introduced to this site by my dad.

Dad: Attorney: WDW lover. Used to, but no longer wants to have to worry about planning- now the hobby has transferred from father to son

Mom: 2nd Grade teacher: not too into Disney, but happily comes along with us. The main reason why we came during the most crowded week of the year was because she can’t take days off.

Andrew: 12 years old, 6th grader: Disney World lover, and technically an adult by Disney’s standards, but loves the kids’ menus!

Background: I believe we’ve been to WDW five times as a whole family and one other time before Andrew was born. My parents were both here a few times before as well. Two years ago we were surprised on Christmas Eve with a trip on Christmas Day to WDW! Even though it was ridiculously crowded, we had a great time, and my dad decided to plan another holiday trip this year. We booked it in July, and after persuading my parents to stay at the Wilderness Lodge and do the dining plan, I made all of our ADRs. They were changed many times, until we had a definite plan. We had 6 nights, and some requests for certain restaurants, but many I chose based on reviews I read on here and menus that I thought we would enjoy. We’re well versed with all things Disney, but this was our first time on the dining plan, so that would be a new experience. We usually stay at the Dolphin on the teacher discount, rent a car, and eat most meals outside the parks. I was really excited not to have to do that on this trip. I’m going to give hopefully pretty detailed reviews of each table service and counter service restaurant we ate at, along with a rating out of 5 stars. Unfortunately, the rest of the family wouldn’t cooperate with having pictures taken of their food, so I don’t have any to share.

I’ll try to update this as frequently as possible, but I’m back in school already, and there’s tons of work to be done!

Day 1: (12/25)
Merry Christmas!

We got up early at 3:45 am, so that we could catch our 7:00 am flight to Orlando! We live about 20 minutes from Philadelphia, and ended up leaving the house around 5:00. It was kind of creepy, since there were barely any cars on the road, but the airport was busy! We flew on AirTran, which has been wonderful for us every time we fly. The flight was smooth, and early. We were quickly whisked away to WL by Magical Express. There were only 2 other people on the bus with us, who were also staying at WL. We checked in around 10:00 am, and our room was ready! We had a woods view room, which was very nice and quiet, with a view of the villas. We love the new WL rooms. The décor is beautiful and upscale, while still maintaining a rustic feel. The only complaint we had all week was that the room was a little bit dark, and the water pressure in the shower was bad. Other than that, our stay was perfect.

We decided to go over to MGM for our first day, and see how many rides we could get on before going over to the Magic Kingdom for our 7:35 ADR at Liberty Tree Tavern. The crowds weren’t too bad, and we got on most of the major things, before it started raining around 12:30. There were huge downpours, at which time we decided to get some lunch!

Backlot Express Lunch
We went to the Backlot Express because I had heard that the food was decent, at least compared to other places in MGM. It was our first time using the dining plan, so we needed some help, and the CM was friendly and very helpful. Here’s what we ordered:

Me: Chicken Strips w/ Fries
Marble Cheesecake
Large Sprite

Dad: Double cheeseburger w/fries
Strawberry parfait
Large Diet Coke

Mom: Double cheeseburger w/fries
Strawberry parfait
Large Diet Coke

Andrew: Kids’ Chicken Nuggets w/fries and grapes
Jello
Bottled Water

We all enjoyed this meal, particularly because we hadn’t had anything to eat all day, and it was a novelty to be on the DDP and not have to pay for anything. All of my food was very good. I really like Disney fries. They’re crisp, but not hard, and salted to my liking. The chicken strips are also good. They’re basic, but tasty. The cheesecake was ok, but a little too rich for my taste. I wasn’t crazy about it being marbled with chocolate, either. It wasn’t bad, but not to my liking. Dad really liked the cheesecake. It was also packaged very nicely to take on the go. Mom and Dad both enjoyed their cheeseburgers and parfaits. I was told the burgers were basic, but tasty. The parfait was a good size, but I didn’t like that there were raisins mixed in the yogurt. I’ve never seen that done before. However, it was good, with lots of strawberries on the bottom. Andrew started a trend here, by ordering a kids’ meal instead of the adult meal he was entitled to. It was what he wanted, and we all had enough food of our own, so we let him get it. There were only 3 small nuggets, which isn’t very much. They also weren’t as good as the regular chicken strips, so I shared some of mine with him. This was the only CS we went to where he was allowed to substitute fries for one of the “kids’ picks”.
We thought that the décor of the restaurant was interesting. The movie props are fun to look at, but it is a little bleak inside overall. However, it’s a good choice if you are looking for a tasty CS meal in MGM.

CS Credits Remaining (out of 24): 20
TS Credits Remaining: 24

4 :) :) :) :) out of 5
(just because we were extra hungry and it was our first meal. Otherwise, it would have gotten 3)

After lunch, we trudged around MGM a bit in the rain. Everyone was getting irritable from lack of sleep, so we went back to the WL in the late afternoon. We relaxed for a while in the room before taking the boat over to MK for our dinner at Liberty Tree.
We were in MK early, and looked around the shops before checking in for our 7:35 ADR around 7:15.

Let me preface this meal by saying that we had very high hopes for our LTT Christmas Dinner. We ate here on our last trip and loved everything about it. We thought it would be a perfect traditional Christmas feast. I made the ADR the first day we could, even before we had booked our hotel, just to make sure we got it.

Liberty Tree Tavern Dinner
We waited for a while past our ADR time, probably until about 7:50. I understand that they run behind, but we were really irritable at this point, so it was really annoying that we had to wait past 7:35. We were seated at the very first table on your left as you go up the stairs to the left section of the restaurant. This has to be one of the worst tables in the restaurant. You feel like you are in the lobby area, but a step up. The lobby was extremely crowded, so we felt like we were being watched and encroached upon by everyone that was waiting. In addition, our server wasn’t attentive at all. He wasn’t friendly, was very slow on drink refills, and would get visibly annoyed if we asked for more of a certain course. I know it was Christmas Day, and I’m sure he didn’t want to work, but please don’t ruin our Christmas dinner because WDW made you work! Overall it was just a really bad experience.
The food wasn’t too bad, but was outweighed by all of the other negatives- table location, server, etc. The bread was good and hot when we received it. I didn’t have any salad, but mom and dad said that the dressing was really good. The meats were pretty good, but the beef was a little tough, and the ham was a bit fatty. I particularly enjoyed the mashed potatoes, but we were brought a very small portion, which took an inordinately long time to get refilled. I also enjoyed the string beans, which no one else liked. The macaroni and cheese was Andrew’s favorite. Even if it is Stouffer’s, I have to agree with him in saying that it was pretty tasty. The dessert was apple cobbler a la mode. It was good, but we were all stuffed and couldn’t finish.
We aren’t too into character meals, so we don’t mind if we don’t see all of the characters or they don’t spend much time with us. However, the characters went by more quickly than most people would like. Minnie just waved and moved on, but lucky came back later to spend a little more time with us. Also, due to where our table was, kids waiting would run up and try to see the characters since they were basically in the lobby when they came to our table. The characters were fine, but not quite as attentive as the last time we were there.
All in all, we were very disappointed in our LTT Christmas dinner. The server and table were awful, and the food wasn’t quite good enough for us to disregard those problems. The restaurant even seemed a bit dirty. I know it’s supposed to look old, but it looked quite grimy this time. We liked it before, so maybe it was just a bad day. However, we won’t be returning anytime soon.

CS Credits Remaining: 20
TS Credits Remaining: 20

2.5 :) :) out of 5

We went on a couple of rides after dinner, and went back to get to sleep and wake up early for 7:00 am early opening at Magic Kingdom!

Awesome reviews!! I can't wait to read more.

I agree with you about LTT. My family and I ate at LTT in August 2005 and was very displeased with the food and service, especially after all the great reviews it got. Our waiter was less then attentive...he took an especially long time to refill 2 ice teas & 2 kids drinks (about 20 minutes--I remember this because I kept staring at my watch) and we got a very small amount of mashed potatoes (which are my favorite), when I asked for more, he seemed disgusted I would even ask. Shame on me for asking, I guess :rolleyes:
Maybe you had the same server we did :rotfl:

Great job on your reviews, very detailed and well written. Looking forward to the next installment! :)

Enjoying reading your reviews ~ Thanx for posting.

Isn't it amazing how a server can "make or break" a meal? We've had two great experiences at LTT- we'll be back this January too. However, I can imagine that I would not return if I encountered poor service & that seat (and I know exactly where you're talking about!)

Can't wait to hear the rest!

Great review so far Matt and I just want to add that you write eloquently for a 16 year old. After seeing your post I can't help but think maybe there is hope for the next generation :thumbsup2

Great job! I'm so sorry your LTT experience wasn't a good one. We've always had a great time there with great service and the best character interaction of any character meal. I hope it was just a bad day or bad server, but I know that's no consolation for your Christmas day meal!

I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of your reviews!

Great review! Thanks a lot! I love that you combine your reviews with a mini trip report. I hope the other meals made up for your dissappointing Christmas Day Dinner.

Great job Matt, keep the reviews coming! I'm really looking forward to reading the rest.:thumbsup2

Great reviews Matt. Thanks!! I was thinking about trying LTT on our next visit in August. Now I'm not sure. It's a shame it was like this for your Christmas dinner.

More, more!!!! You write very well.
Sorry about the bad LTT experience. That must have been a let-down. We had a good experience in Nov, but it was lunch, not dinner...there's no excuse for poor service; that's the guy's job, for crying out loud. If you don't enjoy it, leave. No sympathy tears, either, because he had to work Xmas day (from a nurse who has to work holidays too)!

Day 2 (12/26)
Lunch: Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café
Dinner: Les Chefs de France

We woke up quite early today, at 5:00 am. It was an overcast, cool, and misty day but, not too awful weather-wise by nighttime. We are very intense with our Disney vacationing, as you can probably see. Over Christmas, the best bet of getting on the major rides without a wait is to be there for opening. It was hard to wake up so early again, but as soon as I remembered where I was, I was wide awake. We decided to have breakfast with some snack credits at the Magic Kingdom Bakery later in the morning. The Magic Kingdom was opening every day during our stay at 7:00 am for extra magic hour. We took the boat, which we found to be a very efficient way to travel all week. They seemed to come more frequently than buses, even though the ride was a bit longer.
We arrived at the Magic Kingdom at right about 7:00. It was dead, and I got some really neat pictures of Main Street and the castle in the dark. It looks like I took them late at night, but it was just the ungodly early extra magic hour! We went straight over to Tomorrowland to get fastpasses for Space Mountain. Then, we did the Indy Speedway and Buzz Lightyear, and all of the attractions in Fantasyland, with the exception of It’s a Small World, before the park opened at 8:00. Right at 8:00, we went over to Frontierland to do the mountains a couple of times each. After that was Adventureland. The park really wasn’t very crowded yet, and we got on many rides between 7:00 and 10:00 with very minimal waits. We discussed sticking to the plan of breakfast snacks at the bakery, but it never happened since the short waits were enticing, and no one was overly hungry.
However, by 10:45 we were quite hungry, and the park was getting crowded, so we went to lunch at Cosmic Ray’s at Dad’s request.

Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café Lunch
We ate here before, and found the variety to be very good and the food tasty. None of the counter service is by any means gourmet, but for a quick lunch this is a good choice. It was pretty crowded already. Mom and dad wanted burgers, while Andrew and I wanted chicken, so we ordered separately while mom scouted out a table. It’s great that they have the three different sections to order from, but it can be a pain if it’s crowded to go from one to the other, paying separately, in order to find things to your family’s liking. Here’s what we ordered:

Me: Half Chicken and Barbeque Rib Combo
Chocolate Cake
Large Sprite

Dad: Bacon double cheeseburger w/ fries
Carrot Cake
Large Diet Coke

Mom: Bacon double cheeseburger w/ fries
Carrot Cake
Large Bottled Water

Andrew: Chicken Strips meal w/ fries
Sugar-Free Brownie
Large Sprite

This lunch was very good, even better than the previous day. The food was all warm, obviously freshly prepared. The service was quick, even though it was crowded. Mom found a table right in the front row by the “entertainment”, which was fun to watch while we ate. Andrew decided to get the adult entrée this time, since the kids’ meal he got yesterday wasn’t as good as my adult meal. The chicken strips and fries were the standard Disney ones, as were the cheeseburgers. However, everyone declared them to be even better than at Backlot Express. The best choice, though, in my opinion, was my combo. There was so much food! In addition, it’s one of the best deals on the dining plan, at $13.99 regular price. There were a few ribs, somewhere between a quarter and a half rack, and a huge piece of rotisserie chicken, plus a generous portion of mashed potatoes and carrots. I enjoyed all of it, especially the ribs. They weren’t too messy, and had a good subtle barbeque flavor. The chicken was moist, but I didn’t even come close to finishing it. I also enjoyed the mashed potatoes. They weren’t the best I experienced on the trip, but it was nice to have something other than fries for counter service. Mom ate my carrots and said she thought that they had some sort of seasoning on them that she liked. No one was hungry enough to try the desserts, and since they were all pre-packaged, we took them with us. Unfortunately, they ended up being forgotten in our refrigerator and got thrown out the last day. Cosmic Ray’s is a nice choice for CS in MK. There is variety on the menu and a lot of indoor seating. On the inside, it’s not the nicest CS, but fine for a quick lunch. We would definitely return again. It seems to be a solid choice for a tasty and filling lunch.

CS Credits Remaining: 16
TS Credits Remaining: 20

4 out of 5 :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes
(Counter service is held to a very different standard than TS. CS is based simply on the food quality- if it was edible as well as somewhat appetizing)

After lunch we did a few of the smaller attractions- Hall of Presidents, Tiki Room, etc. Dad felt sick a little bit later. He said he felt nauseous and had a headache. He left to go back to the room while the rest of us stayed just to do Tom Sawyer Island. Andrew read the book last summer, and he’s been dying to check out the island. We never did it before, so it was interesting. There isn’t much more than some trails and things to walk through, but it’s a nice respite from the crowds. It had been raining intermittently throughout the day, and started up again as we finished at Tom Sawyer Island, so we decided to go back to the hotel as well.

We spent a couple of hours at the hotel before our dinner at Les Chefs de France at 5:30 on the Candlelight Processional Package. Dad took a nap. The rest of us took explored the lobby, went up to the 4th floor, and found some really nice nooks to sit in on such a dreary rainy day. I wrote some postcards to send home, and Mom and Andrew read books that they had brought along.

My parents don’t like the bus transportation; they think that it’s too irregular and crowded. I don’t really have any problem with it, and found it to be particularly good on this trip! So, in order to avoid the buses, I told them that we could take a boat to the Contemporary and the monorail to get to Epcot. They loved the idea, and the sun had finally come out, so we decided to take that route, which of course takes much longer than the direct bus from WL to Epcot. We left at around 4:15 for the 5:30 ADR. I was really excited for this meal. I take French in school, and I went on a two-week trip to France this past summer with a group from my school. We had a chance to experience many beautiful places, and the opportunity to have French cuisine in WDW was a must for me.

It didn’t take long to catch one of the smaller boats to the Contemporary, and we had a very pleasant ride, with a short stop at Fort Wilderness. It ended up just being us and an older couple on the boat. We got to the monorail quickly, and were certain that we would be on time! It was only 4:45. However, we got snagged up at the TTC. We transferred onto the Epcot monorail, and sat for at least 15 minutes waiting to leave. They announced that we had to wait for traffic to clear. I don’t know what that was all about, but we didn’t even arrive at Epcot until 5:30! Of course, there was a long line at bag check and the park was crowded, so we ended up not arriving at the restaurant until around 5:50.

Les Chefs de France Dinner
There ended up being a very long line just to check in, only to find out that our ADR wasn’t on the list! I don’t know if we were on a separate Candlelight Processional list that the hostess wasn’t looking at, but she couldn’t find us anywhere. They don’t seem to use the same computerized system here that most other restaurants use. However, after showing our confirmation number, she simply wrote our name down somewhere on the list of people that checked in. It was so busy that she didn’t have time to really look and make sure we were on the original list, and I wondered how they lost our ADR. Anyway, we ended up waiting a very long time for our table. We didn’t get called until 6:30, an hour after our ADR time, and almost 40 minutes after we checked in. However, the beautiful restaurant, wonderful food, and superb waiter would make up for this.

I can’t say enough how wonderful our meal was here. It ties for first place as my favorite meal of the trip. We all really liked the décor of the restaurant, and we were seated in the main room right next to a window. It was a wonderful table, especially compared to last night’s LTT fiasco! I liked the bustle and noise of the restaurant as well as the fact that it was warm and brightly light. It created a wonderful welcoming atmosphere that we didn’t want to leave.

Our server, Jerome, came over almost immediately after we were seated. He started talking in French, and I guess from the puzzled looks on our faces he decided to switch to English. He apologized and said that he mistook us for a French family! There were a lot of foreign families in WDW this week, and we were all quite flattered to have been mistaken for one of them, not a bunch of sloppy Americans! He gave us the menus and explained exactly what we were entitled to on the dining plan, as well as his personal recommendations.

Our drink order was out extremely quickly. Mom and Dad got iced tea. I call them the iced tea connoisseurs, and the tea here met with their approval, which means it must have been pretty good. Andrew and I chose Orangina, my favorite French soda. It’s an orange soda with pulp in it, and a much more natural orange taste than what you get here. I absolutely love it, and I can’t find it anywhere in this country! Even though it wasn’t included on the dining plan, my parents heard me rave about it before, and allowed us to get it. Jerome also gave us rolls and butter to eat with the drinks. The rolls were absolutely wonderful, and warm. We kept asking for more, and he was happy to give them.

For appetizers, mom and dad both got the onion soup. I chose the tomato and goat cheese flatbread. Andrew didn’t like any of the choices, and was content just to have bread. I’m not really acquainted with what a flatbread is, but from what I read on here, I gathered that it’s like a pizza. Mine was quite good, yet very different from a traditional pizza. It was huge, with 6 nice sized pieces! The bread it was on was very thin and crispy. That bread alone was to die for. On top were crushed tomatoes and circles of goat cheese. It was very tasty. The cheese was a little bit strong for my taste, but not bad. I really enjoyed this appetizer. It was a departure from what I expected-cheese pizza! I couldn’t finish, but everyone had a taste. The onion soups were huge! Mom and dad both loved the onion soup, and were full just after eating that. I’m not a fan of it, so I didn’t try any. It came in a large crock, and had a piece of some sort of hard bread with it. Inside there was a ton of gruyere cheese.

While we were eating our appetizers, a manager came up to us, and asked to see our confirmation number, so that he could give us the Candlelight Processional stickers, since we weren’t on the original list. He checked it very quickly, and we were on the computer. I can see that it always pays to have a copy of your confirmation numbers!

Just a comment on our waiter, Jerome: He was so gracious, friendly and attentive! He was eager to please, always present and asking if we needed anything and liked the food, and giving drink refills before we even had to ask. He spoke to me a little bit in French (I had a hard time keeping up and understanding), and was nice enough to pretend that I was good at French! He told us all about his hometown and how much he loves being here and working in Disney World. It was so refreshing to have him, after our previous night’s waiter. I don’t know if all of the waiters here are so friendly, but they all appeared to provide good service, which is important to us.

For the entree I ordered the short ribs in Cabernet with polenta. They were wonderful, and tender. They melted in my mouth. I even enjoyed the polenta, which I’ve never tried before. The texture reminded me of couscous or tapioca. The helping of polenta was really large, and I didn’t finish it. Mom and dad chose the beef tenderloin with potato gratin and green beans. They both thoroughly enjoyed it, and mom was raving about the potatoes for days. The string beans had a lot of garlic, which neither one liked, but I absolutely loved. I ate both of their helpings. Andrew had the kids’ chicken strips, which must have been good, because they were eaten very quickly without complaint.

By this point it was getting dangerously close to our Candlelight Processional show! It was around 7:30, the show was at 8:15, and we had just ordered desserts! A meal at Chefs de France is very leisurely, as is a real meal in France. We could easily have spent at least another hour here, but wanted to make the show. Unfortunately, we had to rush through our desserts and run down to the theater. For dessert, I ordered the chocolate tart. This was one of the best desserts I had the entire trip. It was so scrumptious, and rich, but not too heavy for my taste. Dad got crème brulee that was really good, too. I’m not a crème brulee fan, but I liked this one. Mom wasn’t hungry for dessert, so let me choose something for her. I don’t even remember what I chose, and she doesn’t remember what it was either, but it must have been good, since she ate it all! Andrew got ice cream with his kids’ meal, which he liked.

We had Jerome take 3 of our credits, and dad paid for Andrew’s meal OOP. It would have been a waste to use an adult credit on a TS kids’ meal. We would end up doing this a couple of other times as well, so that we would have the extra credits needed for our California Grill dinner later in the week.

Our meal at Chefs de France was absolutely amazing! We normally wouldn’t have eaten here, but the DDP made it a quick choice for me. Even though we had to wait a long time, it was worth it because everything that happened once we were inside was absolutely perfect. It would have been nice to have time to linger over dessert and talk to Jerome more, but we had a Candlelight Processional show to catch!

CS Credits Remaining: 16
TS Credits Remaining: 17

4.5 out of 5 :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

After dinner, we went very quickly down to the theater for the Candlelight Processional. Luckily, they were still some reserved seats left when we got there around 8:10. Actually, we ended up with amazing seats. We were ushered down into the very first row of the theater on the right side, with the other late arrivals. It was really cool to be able to see the orchestra up close (I play clarinet, so I especially enjoyed it). We could also see the singers on our side particularly well. We had a good view of Gary Sinise, especially when he came out onto the stage. We saw the show two years ago, so we didn’t mind not being able to see the entire chorus well. It was really interesting from this perspective. We all absolutely loved the show, which I wasn’t too excited about two years ago. Either I’ve matured, or the seats make a difference!

As soon as the show ended, we went to find somewhere to watch Illuminations from. We found a spot in Germany by the fence. I’m not too crazy about this show. I can never get a good view of what is being projected onto the globe, which is a main focus of the show! It ended up being Mom’s favorite nighttime show of the trip. I prefer Spectromagic, which we saw last night before leaving the MK. Overall, though, I liked the show and the holiday ending. Afterwards, we started on our way to leave, but ended up stopping to do Spaceship Earth quickly, as part of the evening EMH. It was a good thing we did, because the crowds thinned by the time we were done, and we got a relatively empty bus back to WL. We were in bed by 11:00, and ready for another early morning, this time at Animal Kingdom!

Great reading Matt.

You said you are about 20 mins. from PHL airport, what part of Jersey are you in?? We live in Stratford so you are probably close to us.

Hello Neighbor!! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter