Our 10 day DREAM, turned into an 8 day nightmare - April/May 2012 *pic's added*

Thanks for writing about your trip, even though it was a nightmare! Like a good trip report, it helps us of think of things we would like (and not like) to do... like who to bring to Disney World.

I have been to Disney with both my family and my husband's. While the sleeping arrangements once traumatized me with his family (having to sleep on a pullout couch in the livingroom horribly sick and having to get up for Disney at 6am the next morning, but others refused to let us go to bed and kept watching TV very late into the night and then yelled at us), I have learned to go with the flow. I figure family vacations with our families are not "my" vacation. *Note that we had no kids then, so now it would be totally different--we would get our own room now, and I would work around my son's schedule because he still naps, and no one would be happy if he was tired.

We vacation with our best friends...without our kids. While the kids are friends, different rules, expectations, and personalities among them would probably cause problems. It's fine for weekend visits, but it wouldn't be much of a "together" vacation because the needs of our kids are different (not to mention she has girls, and I have a boy). I have dreamed of sending them to Disney World and then just me coming along to take pictures and hold the baby :cutie:. I won't be getting much little princess magic of my own anytime soon.

I am the the trip planner for my family. I love to plan vacations and have planned our family vacations with my parents since I was a little girl, but of course when the time comes to do things, people don't want to go or want to change the plan. At this point, my husband and I have decided that we no longer plan for other people. We will include them in what we are doing, but never plan for them. I think this is especially true for Disney.

I have read a lot of TR where Disney lovers "shows" others their favorite place on earth to others, and it never seems to go as planned. I won't play tour guide (unless someone comes and visits my hometown). My husband told me I should wear a period costume and charge admission for all the times I have shown people the Freedom Trail in Boston. However, in Disney World there are just too many variables to anticipate what someone else will want to do.

I even tell my husband that I am not shy in saying that my desire to take my son to Disney World is about ME! :rotfl2: I don't care if he remembers it when he's older, I just want to see the kind of excitement and laughter on his face that he gets riding the local carousel magnified tenfold. Yes, I will consider his likes... we will be doing a touring plan akin to Dumbo Do or Die (few adult rides), and only spend about 4 hours in the parks each day in the morning and then rest. He goes to bed early, so I would only mess with that for a night or two for the shows, and maybe just get him out of bed for it. Could I hold that kind of schedule with another family? No way!

I'm so sorry about your trip.. hopefully, you will have many more wonderful memories to help this one fade. We had a terrible beach trip one year with friends and it took awhile to recover. I'm so glad that your daughter was OK.

Wed, May 2 – Magic Kingdom again
I kept DD’s Hair apt so after riding some rides we go over at 11am to get “fireworks” in her hair, she LOVES it, we decided after DD getting dehydrated yesterday and since this is our 3rd day at Magic Kingdom we wanted to take it easy today, we walk slow, take our time and have a blast. We drink plenty of water and take it easy. We got back to POP for a break, then back to Magic Kingdom for the Wishes Dessert Party at 9pm – It was AWESOME! The manager came out with a special gluten free plate just for me and we watched the fireworks DRAMA FREEE – It was wonderful.

Thursday May 3 – Epcot
At this point I am just tired, my feet hurt, my back hurts and I am tired all over. My DH wants to go from start to finish but I can’t keep up and we don’t leave till next Tuesday. He agrees to take it easy for me and we have a great day at Epcot – it’s HOT, it has been all week which doesn’t help with already being tired. But it was a good day. So I have not talked to Jenny much the past few days, but we do talk this evening. We decide to meet to Hollywood Studios tomorrow. I explain that if you want to ride TSM you HAVE to get there early and go right to it. So we say that we are all going to meet first thing in the morning.

You are making me remember exactly why I don't do Disney or any vacation with friends of family, just the 4 of us!

Thanks for detailing this tale of woe.:( But am so glad your night really seems to be picking up some! :) I needed to read this story!!!

Sometimes I feel guilty that DD13 is only child and we WON a FREE trip to WDW last August - tickets, room, meal plan and I still opted to NOT bring a friend. I felt like a grinch in a way....but I need to see things like this b/c while friends are wonderful back home, it doesn't always "travel" well.

I'm sorry the other mom and daughter were so tough. Unbelievable that the mother allowed her daughter to harass yours. I've never been dehydrated and I can only imagine how scary that must have been to see. Glad you had some (though few) good times with your family

I am caught up! popcorn: I will NEVER do WDW with friends again. Sorry your trip was so miserable. Hopefully once your "friend" leaves with her bratty child things will get better. I also understand about the tummy issues (diagnosed with Crohn's 3 years ago this August), I had a trip to WDW right before I was diagnosed and dealt with it by not eating so I know that was no fun for you. Hoping your next trip is AWESOME!

Lurked up until now. Its not always easy to travel with friends. Sometimes their kids make it even harder. :(

Friday, May 4th – Hollywood Studios – Jenny and Jordan come along.

When we get up I tell DH I can’t do anymore, I am tired and I need to get to my Dr. So I want to go home early. He says tomorrow.

DH, DD & I get to Hollywood Studios about 30 minutes early. Jenny called and said they were running late, I said fine, call when you get here, we are heading straight over to TSM.

We go in go straight to TSM and get ride it, and then go over to the Fastpass. At this point I see that I have a VM and check it, Jenny called while we were on the ride, I called her and she is walking our way. I tell her they need to go ahead and get in line or they won’t get to ride. They ride, we wait ! Then we all head over to Star Tours, Muppet's, Indiana Jones, then Lights, Motors Action. Both girls want to ride Tower of Terror none of the Adults want to ride, but we walk them over so that they can ride it. After they get off (they loved it) we walk around a little, but I am DONE!!!! I tell Jenny we are leaving she says they are going to do some shopping to get Jordan a bunch of stuff before heading home. She told Jordan that if she could behave today she would buy her whatever she wanted – WHATEVER!!! Little brat.

We leave and while sitting there in our room I tell DH I really want to head on home, he says “but can we get any money back” I said “ let me go find out” I go down to the front desk and talk to the manager and yep, we can get money back so I head to the room tell DH & DD (who was with me, she was ready to leave) that we are leaving. We all pack up the room within about 15 minutes – super fast and we hit the road. Drove about ½ way home and stopped and stayed at a hotel, then headed the rest of the way home the next day.
I am at this point regretting taking our friends with us to Disney. I don’t even want to talk about going back. In the car we all decided that we want to wait a long while before going back.

Now to the present day….. The girls got into an argument not long after being home, well, Jordan was a brat one day and Kayla decided she was done with her, anyways. Jenny and I still talk but not like we used to. I hope we stay friends, but we will see.

I am just getting to the point that I think I can forget about how bad the last trip was, so we are now talking about going back next October.

And on my tummy……My Dr. decided that part of my issue was that I had my gallbladder taken out about 6 years ago and that my body is just having a hard time processing (1-2 % of people have a hard time even after removal). I didn’t know this b\c I had been dealing with the gluten allergy for years without knowing it, so when I went gluten free and I felt SO MUCH better, then started feeling bad again, but a different bad we decided to try a medication to help with the gallbladder issue and IT WORKS!!!!!! (funny, she had tried to get me to start it before we left for Disney, but I was to scared to try something new right before the trip….if only I had known how good it would make me feel) so anyways, we are all better and starting to plan our next trip. We had hoped that our son would go also this time, but he is planning to join the Army next Spring, so he would not be able to go. Sadly, he doesn’t care, he says he has been to Disney enough already – (poor child, NO ONE can go to Disney enough)

I've had tummy issues since getting my gall bladder removed too. Not as bad as your experience, but it seems like I'm much more likely to get sick after eating food from other places, rather than eating food I've cooked at home. I'm kind of nervous about how that will go on our upcoming trip.

Sorry you had such a miserable time.

I am glad you decided to go back and even more glad that you are feeling better! My boys don't want to come on our next trip either, nov 2013. I keep saying they have plenty of time to change their mind but chances are they won't. no ps3 there... They think I'm crazy and harrass me all the time calling me obsessed lol I don't care I love it and will go back as often as I can! (just without friends and most family) Now... If I can only figure out how to but the countdown on my messages...:confused:

I am glad you decided to go back and even more glad that you are feeling better! My boys don't want to come on our next trip either, nov 2013. I keep saying they have plenty of time to change their mind but chances are they won't. no ps3 there... They think I'm crazy and harrass me all the time calling me obsessed lol I don't care I love it and will go back as often as I can! (just without friends and most family) Now... If I can only figure out how to but the countdown on my messages...:confused:

Thanks - and I am now looking forward to going back. And I think you have to have 10 posts before you can add your countdown. But when you can. Just find someone else's countdown and click on it....it will take you to another window where you can make your own. Ummmmm....I think I will go make mine NOW:cool1:

Thanks - and I am now looking forward to going back. And I think you have to have 10 posts before you can add your countdown. But when you can. Just find someone else's countdown and click on it....it will take you to another window where you can make your own. Ummmmm....I think I will go make mine NOW:cool1:

Thank you. I think I am going to post random things just so I can have my counter lol. I made one but I guess I now know why It doesn't show.

glad your issues are better and Sorry ur friends were so awfull!! hoping ur next trip is better!!

DH and I had something similar happen to us last year. We made plans with family for the first time. We planned to go to Universal Studios. It was the worse vacation I have ever been on. I have learned that you have to be selective about who you go with on vacation. We are going to Disney this coming September but it's going to be just us. My parents are joining us for a couple of days at the end. But by then, we will have done everything we want to do. Hope your next Disney vacation goes a lot better!

ChickenNoodles.jpg

First Gluten Free Meal at Disney on arrival day. Chicken, GF noodles and GF roll - POP Century Resort.

ChickenCassadillas.jpg

Chicken quesadilla - Gluten Free noodles - YUMMY!!! made at POP Century

DessertParty.jpg

Gluten Free plate at Wishes Dessert Party!!! Choc. Cake, Carrot cake, Vanilla Cake, OMG...Brownies and fruit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter