OT - Strep "Throat" as a Stomachache

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
The question - Anyone's kids get strep that mimics a bad tummy bug? And if so, what helps them the most?

The long story - DS has always presented strep by complaining of a headache and stomachache right before he comes down with it, but he has also always moved right on to the sore throat and fever. This time, he came down with what we thought was a standard 24-hr stomach bug (throwing up, the whole bit) on Monday night. Kept him home from school yesterday and he seemed to be feeling better, but last night was in a lot of stomach pain again. So I took him to the doctor today, mostly to be sure it wasn't his appendix or something, and they checked for signs of that but also did a strep test, which came back positive - even with no fever and no visible throat signs. So he's on antibiotics, but they haven't had a lot of time to work yet, and I'm looking for things that are comforting in the meantime. If yours kids have had this, what worked for them?

My sons was the other way around he had the stoamch issues and it was coming out both ends and took him to the doctor to get checked and they did the strep test and his came out positive to.. NOt once did he ever say anything bout his throat hurting..

Yep! Headache and vomiting. Once my dd turned up with strep, no sore throat, doctor said it looked fine, but tested her because her siblings had strep, and it was positive.

Headache, vomiting that's my DD. and its always been strep. Antibiotics seem to quickly take care of the strep, the tummy may be more tricky. I always offer yogurt to the kids when they're on antibiotics in an attempt to keep some "normal intestinal flora" around. This is in hopes of "normalizing" the yucky stomach. Also, remember to finish the entire dose of antibiotics to ensure complete eradication of the strep.

My DS is now 21 and finally out grew getting strep everytime we turned around. It seemed like all we had to do was say it and he got it. Almost everytime is was preceeded with a stomach bug. He got to the point that he would just come to me and say "Mom, call the doctor, I have it again" and sure enough, he would. I feel your pain and His and it does get better, I promise!

Yep, we're doing antis for a stomach based strep bug right now (ped says that is the current strain). We caught it super early, and ds8 hasn't had any issues to make him uncomfy. As a matter of fact, he spent his 2 days home playing the wii and having a grand old time, the little booger.

If your ds is not comfortable, I'd recommend icees or popsicles or frozen fruit bars - something that will help the throat w/o bothering the tummy. My standard is usually milkshakes for 24 hrs, but I certainly wouldn't chance dairy with a stomach problem.

I hope he's feeling better soon. :-)

My dd would always throw up with strep. i would call the Dr and they would say it was a stomach bug and i would insist on a strep test. I could always smell the strep on her-some of you who have had kids who get strep a lot probably know what I'm talking about, lol. Anyway, my dd would be so sick that nothing would stay down so she had to have the antibiotic shot in her butt:scared1: poor kid-that shot HURTS! She got strep 12 times in 11 months so we had hyer tonsils out and 8 years later, she's never had it again. I hope your son feels better soon-the antibiotic should work quickly.

It is very common for kids to present with stomach complaints and strep. My sister and I are both Nurse Practitioners (well I used to be pre kids), and we had a conversation about that recently, about how many kids we had seen with just a stomach ache and it turns out to be strep.

This March my daughter wasn't feeling well and started to throw-up. Since there was a nasty flu going around I took her to the doctors. It turned out to be strep, which I was totally suprised. This was the 1st she had strep without complaining about throat pain and being sick to her stomache.

My kids all had the stomach thing when they had strep as young kids. I think it is very common in little ones. My DD9 and DS7 seem to have outgrown the stomach part now, and only get the sore throat. DD4 still gets the stomach thing. Usually antibiotics work pretty quickly for my kids and within one or two doses they feel better. I do try to give them extra yogurt with the antibiotics though.

Actually, my three kids and I are all on antibiotics right now for strep. We seem to have a very strange strep thing going on. DD9 had a slight fever and slight sore throat for two days last week, but it never looked like strep (barely red and no white spots). DD4 started a few days later with a sore throat, fever, and vomiting. Classic signs of strep, but throat still didn't look streppy. Meanwhile my throat had been a little scratchy, but nothing major. DD4 tested positive for strep on Saturday so I decided to have everyone tested and we ALL tested positive, including my DS7 who had no symptoms whatsoever. Doctor was even shocked because none of our throats looked bad at all. DH was spared since he was out of town on a business trip all week.

Thanks, everyone, for the reassurance! DS is still complaining on and off that his stomach hurts, but less frequently, and he slept better last night than the night before. He's afraid to eat more than a bite or two, but at least he's drinking water and flat ginger ale, which is a step in the right direction.

Thanks, everyone, for the reassurance! DS is still complaining on and off that his stomach hurts, but less frequently, and he slept better last night than the night before. He's afraid to eat more than a bite or two, but at least he's drinking water and flat ginger ale, which is a step in the right direction.

I'm glad he got some good sleep! That really helps!

DS was tested for strep last Sat. It came back negative but by Monday he was being treated for pneumonia! :scared1: We just can't win in my house!

My daughter had strep many times when she was young. Never, did she complain of a sore throat. I always knew she was sick because she ran a fever and started vomiting.

My dd (10) came down with hives on a Sunday morning. Went to the doctor on Monday and they suggested doing a strep test - which came back positive! Never knew strep could cause hives.

Both my kids usually complain of a sore throat, have no fever and will throw up once. That's my clue to get them checked. So far no strep this school year!:cool1:

My oldest two kids always threw up with strep. Usually just a very low grade fever - nothing I'd pick up on by just feeling their foreheads. I always went in for a strep test if they were throwing up. Also DD would get spots - not hives, more dark pink. Dr. said this was common if strep had been untreated.

The only time my son has ever vomited is when he has strep. (and he's 10!) If he vomits, I take him for a strep test and it's positive every time. The nurses have several times said that there is NO way he will test positive if his throat doesn't even hurt, but I insist on the test and then they realize that I'm right! I don't blame them, but I know my kid.

My DD9 gets strep throat at least 5-6 times a year since she was about 3 years old. She always gets a headache/stomache with it. She has only thrown up 1-2 times. She normally has a high fever, but the past 3 times she only ran a low grade temp. Our MD is against taking out tonsils, so I took her to see a ENT, but she would only take them out if she got it 10 months out of 12. :sad2::sad2:

My DD9 gets strep throat at least 5-6 times a year since she was about 3 years old. She always gets a headache/stomache with it. She has only thrown up 1-2 times. She normally has a high fever, but the past 3 times she only ran a low grade temp. Our MD is against taking out tonsils, so I took her to see a ENT, but she would only take them out if she got it 10 months out of 12. :sad2::sad2:

If you feel strongly that the tonsils should come out you should seek a second opinion. Our ped was also against taking tonsils out so I sought out an ENT on my own after rounds and rounds of strep, ear infections, and sinus infections. ENT literally saw her history and in about 15 seconds said tonsils should come out - adenoids out and ear tubes in too.

I was worried - DD was only 3, but BEST decision ever. She's been very healthy since then. Some ENT's around here go with 5 strep per season as a guideline.

Speaking from an ER nurses' perspective, if a kid comes in to triage and symptoms are fever and nausea, we ALWAYS check for strep, even if they do not complain about throat sore, cough, etc. And a word to the wise, strep is an all year illness, most folks think strep is associated with colder weather, winter. Yes we see it more during those months only because kids are back in school and all together again. Summer not so much(no school)!!

My daughter had strep from the age of 2 until 5 almost non-stop. She would come off a round antibiotics and a month later, she would have strep again. Finally, when she was 5, our family doctor said that she needed to have her tonsils out. He said they were so infected with strep that we couldn't get rid of it with antibiotics.

She had her tonsils out. I think she only had strep one time since and she is now 21 years old. I don't believe that a child should have their tonsils removed for no reason, but in my daughter's cause, having her tonsils out was the best thing we could have done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter