OT: Special Olympics

JCTigger

All it takes is faith and trust and a little bit o
Hey guys!
At work (I work at an Arc program in Mass) we recenty lost our special olympics coordinator so I told them that I would like to take it over however I've never worked with special olympics (I was going to be working with our old coordinator for this fall and winter olympics). I really have no idea what any of this entails... does any one have any experiance with special olympics. I have a meeting being set up between me and the president of our Arc to talk about this but I'd like to go into the meeting knowing a little bit more then I do...which I can honestly say is nothing to very little....

I do have to say I'm very excited about this and can't wait to get started! :cool1:

Thanks everyone!!! :wave:

Jill :tigger:

I don't have any experience with Special Olympics, yet anyway, my dd is 6 now. But Congrats to you for taking over and best of luck!!! :woohoo: I'm sure it'll be a fun experience!!

btw we live in western Mass, what area are you going to be cooridinating?

I suggest you contact your State Special Olympics group as soon as possible and set up a meeting with them. There is considerable paperwork which must be kept to date in order for your athletes to participate in State games, including their physicals (I believe every 3 years), there are fees etc. You must also submit names of participants well in advance, and this can not change. Even at your local level, for you to be official Special Olympics teams, you need to follow all their requirements. You should probably find out about going to their seminars/clinics to be certified in a sport or two that you offer, but especially to learn their paperwork, computer etc system. In GA the entire system was changed this year, don't know if that is nationwide or just our State. The State entity will be the one you need the most information from in terms of Special Olympics and then your ARC President can work with you from the angle of, how much your ARC participates, how much they financially support, any agreements they have with practice facilities etc.

Kudos to you for stepping up !! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter