• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT: Seatbelts for ECVs

Deb & Bill

DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
This is a bit OT, but I work in a hospital (Engineering Dept) and was in a meeting with other staff including one of our docs. He has a patient who is having difficulty staying on his ECV. The doc was wondering if there were seatbelts available for them. The doc is concerned that the patient may be falling off on purpose and not using the arm rests in a lowered position. This is not a for-profit hospital. Any help for me here? Not meaning get anyone upset, just asking for some help to give to the doc.

I can answer from a Nursing standpoint.
ECVs don't usually have seatbelts because the people who are using them are usually at least somewhat able to walk and get on and off the ecv.
A medical equipment company would be able to get a seatbelt that could be installed on an ecv - there are many styles of seatbelts available for wheelchairs that would probably work. But, if the patient is falling off on purpose, he would probably not use the seatbelt. If he's forgetting to fold down the armrests, he's likely to forget to use the seatbelt too.

The final piece is, if the seatbelt can be easily opened by the patient, it's OK, but if he can't open it easily (or thinks he can't), then it is considered a restraint. There are many rules about use of restraints. If the patient is getting out of the ecv and then falling, an alternative to a seatbelt might be alarms that can be used to go off when he starts to get up. Those can prevent falls because they alert someone that the patient is getting up (and often remind the patient not to get up when he hears the alarm).

Hope this helps.

You're welcome. Wish I had a better answer for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter