• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT - need ideas for kids allowance?

crisi said:
I'm 40. I don't know anyone except myself who didn't try drugs as kids, and I know several people who had it affect their lives (though no one I know now went through addiction - those people dropped away long ago). Didn't matter if they were rich (and I knew some rich kids) or poor (and I knew kids who grocery shopped at the food shelf).

Well, I'm 38 & I don't know anyone who did try drugs as a kid. I actually thought the county I was raised in was drug free, until I got out of school & got a job. :sad2: I do know that my group of friends had more disposable cash & did a lot more than the avg. kid in my school. We definitely weren't saints, but none of us did drugs either. I don't remember saying I disagreed with anyone who gave their kids allowance. After all, it's none of my business. I did say what my feelings are on the subject, after speaking to people "in the know" about the situation with my child's peers. In our particular community, the kids buying drugs aren't the poor ones. Admittedly, there's not a large number of kids who would be considered poor. The kids getting in trouble are those with too much money to spend on anything they want with noone to answer to. I feel comfortable that we made the right decision for our DS & don't feel the need to get all upset & justify it.

FWIW, I grew up getting basically everything I wanted. 10 times more than my DS gets or even asks for. I'm now one of the most frugal people on the planet where most things are concerned. I'm pretty sure my spending habits as a child didn't predetermine my ability to fail or succeed as an adult.

My kids are DS 16, DD 13, and DD 10. They have gotten allowence for years. My son has quite a bit more responsibilities than his sisters. He gets his age $16 dollars/week. Some of which goes into a savings account he opened at the close of 8th grade. My DDs 13 and 10 get paid their age 2 times per month. They have much less responsibilities at this time, but with age comes more responsibility and more $$. My DD 13 is physically challenged and cannot help with some things but she does her share. She does more inside chores. When DD 10, gets a little older she'll be helping her brother more.

Example of chores: dishwasher, their own laundry at least once a week (I'll do it too, after all they have homework), Keeping their bedroom straight (not perfect), caring for 2 cats & 2 dogs, cutting grass, putting garbage out, dusting, helping with groceries, helping with swimming pool, sweeping porch, cleaning the bathroom, etc.

Everyone is happy with this arrangement. Also I'm not a tyrant, my pace is pretty slow so I don't expect everything done at once. They get a time limit and have to finish by then.

Hope this helps
Yvette
:dance3:

Our oldest is just starting to get interested in having his own money, so here is what DH & I decided. He gets a small amount every week no matter what. Even before this, he has had small jobs around the house as a member of this household (feeding the dogs & keeping his stuff picked up for example). However, he can earn extra money by doing other, extra stuff around the house. If he were to set the table for dinner every night then he'd get extra money.

We figured this way, which ever school of thought is better--connecting allowance to chores or not, we've got it covered. Plus, if there is something he really wants, he knows he has to work extra to get it.

We also make him put a small amount into savings for college (or whatever). And tithe 10% to the church. The rest is his to do with as he pleases.

My kids all get allowances. Oldest ds (14) gets $25 per month, dd (12) gets $20 and ds (9) gets $15. I pay them around the 1st of the month.

then, I essentially don't buy them any extras.

As for chores, I have a list I print out each week, with 12 chores.
feed dogs in a.m.
feed dogs in p.m.
give cat fresh water every day
give dogs fresh water every day, inside and out
clean out cat box 3 times per week
swish both toilets and wipe off 3 times per week
wash dog's bedding, put in dryer and put back in crates
sweep floors twice per week
take out recycling every day
take out trash when needed and put in new bag
give dog #1 a bath
give dog #2 a bath

the kids choose a chore, in rotation, until all are chosen. Then the list is on the fridge. I can't honestly say the kids always remember, but at least I can so "who needs to do this?" and there isn't an arguement.

In my mind, the two (chores and allowance) are mutually exclusive. The kids do chores around the house to help because they live there, and I provide an allowance because as a parent, I want them to learn to manage money. I don't penalize financially them for doing a bad job, because the truth is, I work with people who do a bad job........they still get paid! :confused3 However, I will sometimes give a "bonus", if someone has remembered their chores on their own, or helped out with extra jobs. But that's not guaranteed.

Julia

TenThousandVolts said:
My kids 9&10 get $20 per month. They get $10 each month for basic helpfulness- they help me with groceries, clean up the toy room daily, help out with the 3 year old, clear the table, keep their rooms straight... DD also vacuums a few times each month because she likes it.
Now (we just started this in June) once a week they each clean one of our bathrooms, they do a remarkably good job. I do the tub/shower and scrub the toilet bowl still but they do everything else (floor, trash, sink, mirror, toilet exterior...) They get an extra $10 per month for that.

I thought the Dilley's were brilliant. I wish I could be so organized.

My DD10 also gets $20 per month. $10 is hers to do as she wishes and $10 goes into longterm savings. We keep a ledger sheet and once she has about $100 we transfer it to a Mutual Fund. She has to keep her room clean, keep up with all school assignments, clear the table and load the dishwasher after dinner, and clean mirrors and glass doors once a week. She is a great easy kid who does these things without being reminded very often. Her only sibling is 21 so she is essentially an only child with no one to argue or fuss with so it is rarely necessary to penalize her for misbehavior.

Now the part of allowance that I am bad with is when should they have to use their own money as opposed to me giving out more or paying. Pretty much she uses her money when she wants something that I feel is unnecessary or don't want to buy. This is pretty arbitrary. I need to work on that as she gets older and the allowance increases.

We use a point system. Each Monday DS starts clean with 30 pts. which are currently valued at .20/pt. He doesn't earn any more pts. for doing normal chores, homework, etc., those are just a given. However, he can LOSE points for transgressions of the house rules. On Sunday at bedtime he gets his pay, based on his current point balance.

The points are small yellow magnet squares which are stuck to our SBS fridge doors. One door is the "black" side of the ledger, the other door is the "red" side. Points move from side to side during the week. We do let him earn bonus points as a way to make up if he has lost some: extra chores, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter