OT but... does anyone know what qualifies a child for MAW

mickeymousefan

loving life in the Lone Star state
Just wondering if anyone can verify that a child has to have the life threatening condition NOW in order to get a wish. DD had open heart surgery and intestional surgry to correct birth defects within her first year of life. Her intestional defect was life threatening and her heart defect, while "minor" affected her ability to grow and gain weight. MAW told me she would not be eligible because she has to currently be in the life threatening situation. She has mild SID and a major speech delay but no chronic health issues.

Not that I would want her to get a wish she wasn't entitled too,
but I was surprised at this response.

I myself am wondering the same thing-

DD's condition is lifelong, and could be considered life threating.
she was born with a heart defect and we will know in a couple of months if she will go on transplant list-

I know that they will contact your various Dr's and see if child is medically eligable-
maybe talk to one of your Dr's and see what they think- health care providers are also ones who can contact and recommend a child for a wish- that much I do know-

I have not asked my DD cardiologist yet- will probably wait till after camp

You can go to the MAW homepage and fill out a request. Part of the request if your child's Doctor's name, address and phone number. MAW contacts the doctor and they then make a decision based on the information your Dr. gives them.

We're going on the Wonder on 8/8 thru MAW for our 5 y/o. Hannah has Spinal Muscular Atrophy. MAW will grant wishes to any child who has a "life threatening illness". I don't know; however, if they have a decisive "list" of illnesses/diseases.

BTW....My experience is that once you have the family interview, they move FAST!!!!! Gary, our wish granter came to our house on 6/28, which was a Saturday. Monday morning, he dropped off the paperwork at the San Diego office- on his way to work. We were called an hour later, being informed that we were booked for the Wonder on 8/8. THAT'S how fast they work. :faint:

HTH

Victoria

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter