• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT: Any Discovery Cove opinions/reviews?

Gregg

disney freak
Sorry to bring up a non-Disney thing here (yes, we are big Disney nuts!), but my daughter just loves dolphins and we are considering doing Seaworld's Discovery Cove thing.

It's $200 a pop for I guess 3.5 hours worth of stuff (30 minutes in the water with the dolphins).

Anyone out there ever do this? Is it worth it?

Thanks and sorry for the non-Disney post!

Gregg

Greg:

there is a Discovery Cove/Seaworld forum here, Its further down, near the Universal STudios information.

I loved DC! My trip report is on a thread by hellokitty

The price is so worth it, and it is exquisite. Actually its an all day thing, not 3.5 hours. The dolphin is just part, there is snorkeling, great lunch provided, lazy river, bird aviary, white sand beaches, entertainment, stingray lagoon, coral reefs. To me it was an all day thing.

Don't forget a seven day pass to SeaWorld is included. We went to SEa world four times plus our time at DC.

Have fun reading all the threads about it. You will not regret it.

I surprized my daughter and her swim coach (and my friend) with a day at DC in September. It was one of the hi-lites of our all-girl trip. We took a limo transfer from our Disney resort to DC to arrive 15 minutes prior to opening. You will enter a receiving area where they present you with a lanyard and photo ID card that allows you entry into the park, shows your dolphin swim time, is used for your meal pass (1 meal is included for the day - very good food) and also is good for entry into Sea World (must be used within so many days).

The park is gorgeous! Lots of beautiful plants and white sand beaches around the different water areas. Plenty of lounge chairs and hammocks on the beaches. Their is subtle music - calyso, I think - playing from hidden speakers.

You will be assigned a locker and provided with a life vest (which must be worn in the water) and mask, both of which have to be returned at the end of the day, and a snorkel which you can keep.
You may also request flippers (fins).

The dolphin experience is optional (admission is cheaper if you do not participate). At your assigned time you will gather with others in a hut where an instructor will tell about what you will experience. You will be broken into several smaller groups (about 6-8 per group) and assigned a trainer and dolphin. You will do some shallow water interaction with the dolphin, then swim into the deeper water to play, then the dolphin will swim each person back to the shallow. The interaction varies depending on your individual dolphin and what it is trained to do. Our dolphin, Natalie gave us kisses and spit water in my face! Listen to what the dolphins like and dislike and have fun! My daughter and friend were in such awe, they just stood and watched. I played with her and rubbed my feet on her when she was swimming under me. It was so much fun, but oh so short!

There are professional photographers in the water taking pictures which you may view and purchase after your interaction. You can also purchase a video which shows hi-lites of the park and ends with all the interactions taking place with you. I spent a ton of money here, but the photos were so good.

You can take your own pictures, but you are not allowed in the water, so you must take them from the beach. If you have a good camera with a telephoto lens or a video camera that can zoom in, I would suggest that someone in your party that doesn't want to do the interaction remain on the beach as a photographer. It will save you allot of money.

You can spend the rest of the day relaxing on the beach, watching other interactions, floating in the very natural looking lazy river, snorkeling in the small ray pool, snorkeling in the large tropical fish pool (sharks and barracuda behind plexiglass) or visiting the aviary where guides will explain and help you feed the animals.

We absolutely loved our day here, even though a violent storm came through mid afternoon. The employees were very strict at this time, only for the guests' protection. We arrived about 8:45 am and stayed until 4:30. They gave us a complimentary Land Rover transfer over to Sea World where we took advantage of our free pass and stayed there until closing when our towncar driver picked us up.

If you have the opportunity to spend a day at DC, I would highly recommend it. The dolphins are beautiful and well cared for. I have refused to do a dolphin swim in Mexico because of the way the dolphins are treated there. DC has a website where you may be able to find answers for any questions you may have.

Make resevations as early as possible as they only allow so many visitors in the park each day.

Here is my trip report... (on the Sea World DC forum here) It was the highlight of the trip.

Here are the trip reports from August 2001, there are two parts to it.

This is part one

CAST

Myself, Cindy (30)
DH Jeff (38)

August 26th Discovery Cove

After a 630 am Mickey Mouse phonecall, we were up and at 'em for DC today...

We drove into the lot the night before so we knew where to park and all that. We just couldnt wait for 830.
First stopped off at Guest Services to talk about a king room. They told us to pack up our stuff and it would be moved that day.... to our king room that afternoon while we were gone.
After a quick breakfast in the food court after packing our stuff up... we were on our way... to DC!

We got there about 835, quick drive, with the top down of course... There was a slight line at the checkin hut. There was a DC employee with a two toed sloth outside, and we had fun petting it and talking to the employee. Ok, now checkin time.
First it is similiar to like a hotel with little workstations and all. WE got our badges, and sunscreen. (they do little individualper family bottles now instead of free flowing pumps in the locker rooms). We got the first available swim in the am at 1005 at the Sand Dollar Cabana. So we had a little over an hour to kill.

First we got our little tour, and our free picture taken, then we were encouraged to get our gearlocker. I am glad we got a 1000 swim because this does take some time. We got the shorts wetsuit, but then decided to return it.. It was getting warm.. we opted for the vests...Then locker rooms for getting ready. The nicest bathrooms i have even seen in my entire life... and then the lockers to put everything. We were given on small locker for the two of us.. the attendent said it would be enough room and sure enough it was... Sunscreen on.. and we were ready to explore for about 35 minutes

The first stop was to claim a chair, which we did right in front of the center dolphin lagoon. and then we were trying to get to the aviary.. but we got sidetracked at the juvenille stingray lagoon. They were getting fed by the trainers, and were very fun and active. They swam right around us and flapped their sides at us, thinking we were feeding them! Wonderful clear water with beautuful yellowblack fish as well.

Dolphin swim time.. off to the cabana. After a short, and very cool video safety presentation we were going to our swim. The trainer who did the video also was our swim trainer, Christine I think. We were in a group of 8 with DASH. First we started in shallow water as he swam by, we all did kisses. Dash loved my DH, he did an extra splash for him, and made some extra noises! He did swim by again, and we got to touch him again and become familiar. Then 2 by 2 we went into the deep water. We did all sorts of things. DASH still loved DH! He kept on focusing on him, which was fine. WE got a tow ride back to shore holding onto the right flipper. (which was slower than I had imagined) at the end all 8 of us got into a circle and yelled shark... dash just swam really fast around all of us, everythime stopping and smiling at DH. The time went by slowly, and it was wonderful!

Picture time.. my pictures didnt turn out so well, so we would uo buying only on 5 x7 with both of us in it with DASH. The salespeople were no pressure, and it was a relaxing experience

Now here is Part two...

Myself (cindy) 30
DH (Jeff) 38

Date August 26th, Discovery Cove Part two...

After the purchase of pictures, we were able to pick them up, we got the one with Dash and our free picture then. I also got my free camera. The camera was part of a coupon which was in the Philadelphia Inquirer two months back in conjunction with a article on Discovery Cove. The camera was a small 15 exposure Fuji one time use, and hey it was still nice. Put them back in the locker and set off to explore.

We went back to the juvenille stingrays with the snorkel and masks.. It was more crowded then, before it was just us and the the trainer, now maybe 15 people were in there. From then a few quick steps to the aviary...WOW! It was very lush and tropical. We got two cups of Mealworms... and my DH was a bird magnet as well. They were perching on his shoulder, and all. The birds are wonderful, and there was also a small deer like creature as well. It was very peaceful, and fun to walk around and explore.

Then we went off to the coral reef. I thought it would be a gradual deeper water, nope! It comes up quick, but the vest makes you float really nice. I've never been snorkeling before, so it was a great first experience swimming hand in hand with Jeff. The colors of the coral and the fish were astounding. There were larger rays on the bottom of the pool as well. We swam around the grotto area, and it was wonderful. There werent that many crowds, and actually snorkeling was easier than I thought.

Then we decided to get my underwater camera and do some more pictures in the coral reef and the juvenille stingray lagoon. Back to the avairy again for some pictures, and then from there decided to snorkel off the edge with the small current.
Now that was wonderful, they had a "theme" to it, like a sunken treasure. first some "clay" pots, and some treasure type containers, with some crystal/quartz like items inside., then there was a bas relief type thing with a dinosaur skeleton... it was pretty neat. Then we came along a glass wall on the left which was the coral reef on the other side... we exited after about 3/4 way, and decided to head for lunch.

Laguna grill...wow! there were many entrees to choose from ranging from kid fare hot dog (nice Polish sausage type things) to Pineapple salmon, chicken stir fry, chicken pesto, and wonderful salads. My DH decided on the fajitas, he requested all beef, and it was given to him gladly. I got the chicken pesto, which was fabulous. I was leaning towards the salmon, but I dont like fries that much.. they had some kind of hushpuppy/fries type things with the pineapple salmon. We also got (included) a small garden salad, the entree, and drink, desert... We both chose carrot, mango cake for desert... amazing! And the drink sizes were huge!

WE rested for a bit watching other swims on on chairs on the beach. The bar had some live music playing...so we rested a bit listening to someone singing Don McLean, Kenny Rogers, Dave Matthews, Otis Redding songs.....

Then back to finish up the lazy river, there is a neat beginning where you go through a cave, you see stalagtite/stalamite formations which was neat, and then on through the circuit... its hard snorkeling on full stomach!

We decided to walk around some and back to the juvenille ray lagoon (Can you tell DH really liked it?), and then back to the avairy again... (this was a hit on DH's scale as well). We wound up chatting with the trainers for a while. I tried doing the coral reef by myself but the water was getting colder, so I stopped.

By then the crowd was thinning out, its about 4 pm or so. WE do one more look around, take more pictures, get changed. There were some crowds in the locker room, but showers were still available. The had shampoo, body wash, and conditioner, but my conditioner was empty... put all stuff in bags, and started to return vests, and snorkel gear, no real lines.

WE take even more pictures, a cast member takes a wonderful shot of both of us, and we exit through the wonderful lobby again. Now its about 5 pm, and we are beat.... we say goodbye to Discovery Cove with the convertible top down!

Thanks everyone for the great info. I really didn't find the official DC website to be that informative. And thanks for pointing out the DC forum.

Gregg

Great report, Cindy!

And Gregg, this is hardly OT, this is an Orlando Attractions board, which includes everything Orlando has to offer!

Hope you take advantage of this great experience. I'm a big scaredy cat when it comes to water but the SeaWorld/DC show the Travel Channel ran a few weeks ago just about convinced me that it's worth fighting my fears!

Thanks Robin :o

You really should go.. its really tropical, and so different from the theme parks. I am a scaredy cat when it comes to water over my head.. and I did fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter