Oscars weekend?

MonaMN

DIS Veteran
We are planning a trip next March - looks like the Oscars are happening the weekend we are in LA. We had planned to do some Hollywood and other touristy things in the city prior to starting some time at DLR.

Anyone have any insight into what the Saturday before the Oscars might be like down by the Walk of Fame? We want to see a few quintessential Hollywood things but also don’t want to deal with crazy crowds.

We are planning a trip next March - looks like the Oscars are happening the weekend we are in LA. We had planned to do some Hollywood and other touristy things in the city prior to starting some time at DLR.

Anyone have any insight into what the Saturday before the Oscars might be like down by the Walk of Fame? We want to see a few quintessential Hollywood things but also don’t want to deal with crazy crowds.
Might be a little more crowded down there Oscar weekend, but not necessarily. It’s probably a better time to go. They usually block off the street to make the “red carpet” and usually you can walk on portions of it prior to the Oscars. If anything, the Hollywood area will be nicer and safer than usual that weekend!

I would definitely avoid it the day of the Oscars (obviously), but if you go down there a day or two before, you might be able to get some cool pictures of the red carpet and the giant Oscar statues they put out.

Crowd wise, I wouldn't say it's noticeably worse than any other LA weekend, so you'll probably be okay as long as you aren't trying to stay in a hotel next to Hollywood Blvd. or anything.

I would definitely avoid it the day of the Oscars (obviously), but if you go down there a day or two before, you might be able to get some cool pictures of the red carpet and the giant Oscar statues they put out.

Crowd wise, I wouldn't say it's noticeably worse than any other LA weekend, so you'll probably be okay as long as you aren't trying to stay in a hotel next to Hollywood Blvd. or anything.
Ooh, I hadn’t considered the opportunity to get photos with the big statutes!

I really appreciate the insights - would love to hear anything else that would help us think about it.

Agree, the day of a lot in the area will be blocked off so that might affect sightseeing in the area, but otherwise not a big impact.

I actually used to work at the Dolby Theatre & can say that Hollywood Blvd is ok on foot, but you cannot drive it right before the Oscars. That's where they set up the red carpet, the bleachers & press pits. Definitrely stroll by, though -- it's really fun to see.

Also, please know that the Walk of Fame is very long & starts blocks away from the Dolby -- plenty to see, but I expect you're thinking about near the Dolby the Chinese Theatre, etc. Just stay on foot & you'll be ok. You might be asked to cross Hollywood Blvd here & there. You can still catch a movie at the El Capitan (gorgeous!) & so on.

If you get more than a half-mile away from the Oscars, maybe less, it'll be like it's not even happening.

Ooh, I hadn’t considered the opportunity to get photos with the big statutes!

I really appreciate the insights - would love to hear anything else that would help us think about it.
If you can idnetify where the Vanity Fair party is, you will probably see some awesome "statues" while they're setting up. One year they had enormous Oscar "topiaries" just outside (fake, of course) -- that was fun. And I have to say, the staff setting up was unusually happy about talking about their work. I apologized, not wanting to bother them, but they were happy to talk & point out what they were doing.

I actually used to work at the Dolby Theatre & can say that Hollywood Blvd is ok on foot, but you cannot drive it right before the Oscars. That's where they set up the red carpet, the bleachers & press pits. Definitrely stroll by, though -- it's really fun to see.

Also, please know that the Walk of Fame is very long & starts blocks away from the Dolby -- plenty to see, but I expect you're thinking about near the Dolby the Chinese Theatre, etc. Just stay on foot & you'll be ok. You might be asked to cross Hollywood Blvd here & there. You can still catch a movie at the El Capitan (gorgeous!) & so on.

If you get more than a half-mile away from the Oscars, maybe less, it'll be like it's not even happening.
This is very helpful - thanks! We'll definitely plan to just walk around and explore!

This is very helpful - thanks! We'll definitely plan to just walk around and explore!
Oh, hey, my pleasure! I hope you have fun!

I'm an east coast girl, so all this Hollywood hoopla just goes right by me, but working in theatre guest services, I genuinely enjoy watching fans get excited about seeing all of it. I used to love teaching my tour groups (I did that at the Dolby, too!) how to walk a "step & repeat" on the red carpet. It was hilarious, every single time & they just LOVED it.

I also recommend a pass like the GoCity -- there are a few out there, so you may need to figure out which you like best. Tourists usually find it saves them a little money & Hollywood ain't cheap! :cool2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter