Oscar Nominations

I loved The Holdovers. I thought it was just a terrific movie, and the performances by the three main actors were outstanding. It won't win best picture because it is not "grand scale" but it is just about perfect.

I did not enjoy Barbie, although I thought that Ryan Gosling was really great as Ken.

Like a couple of you, I started Maestro and got about 40 minutes in and had to turn it off. Too manic for me; it was giving me a headache.

I am interested in seeing American Fiction and Nyad.

I saw Barbie and Maestro. I really liked both of them. Killers of the Flower Moon is on one of the streaming platforms I have and it's on my watch list. My local movie theater shows all the movies as a special Oscar package. It's a whole weekend thing.

I looked at the longer list. A few misses and several I was glad to see. Just because ... say me, or you or anyone ... doesn't like a film doesn't mean it wasn't a good film with all the components to be nominated.

Of the Best Picture list I only saw "Barbie" and "Poor Things". I think if Gosling was nominated then Robbie should have been. I think they brought equal to the film, and as a MC child who played with the Robbie style Barbies I think she killed it. I'm glad Poor Things got so many nominations. It might not have been everyone's taste (I didn't know much about it before I went so I was surprised :oops:) but the acting, the sets, the costumes, the music, the unique storytelling was all outside the box. And the story was deeper than most people seem to have gotten from it.

Oppenheimer was sold out for so long that by time we could get a time we just didn't want to sit there for 3 hours. Who knows maybe we'll still go as it is back. I wanted to see Killers of the Flower Moon but sadly like most movies these days it came and went so fast there was no time. I really want to see American Fiction but it isn't playing by me - sad. I'll try for some others, hopefully now nominated they will come back. Spider-Verse is back one showing a day, we are going tonight. The hardest part for us is the theaters only keep movies 1-2 weeks, they don't commit times until a couple days ahead so planning is really hard. Then we have tickets to "SOUL" only to have them cancel the showing.

I don't know where the movie industry is going but we love going to the theater! 🎥🍿

Im surprised and disappointed that Godzilla Minus One did not get a nod for Best Foreign Film.
Totally agree. I don't do Foreign Films because I don't enjoy reading, just distracts me from film. But DD loves Godzilla so we went. I loved it and honestly it was so well done that I didn't even need subtitles to follow the story. The acting was superb and told the story. It should have been nominated.

Last edited:
I liked it. There are a lot of layers to it, and I'll probably watch it again eventually.

i liked it as well. we ended up re-watching it but first re-watching 'elf' (i had heard of the fan theory about will farrell's character being buddy the elf-gotta say after the re-watch of both i'm inclined to agree :rotfl: ).

DH and I couldn't make it through Oppenheimer. We watched half of it and gave up. I felt it was very drawn out...like they could have told the story up to that point in half of the time. I'm guessing the second half was better (since that's where stuff would actually happen), but I probably won't watch it.

We don't usually watch movies so I can't comment on the other nominees.

I have not seen any of the movies. I might see one some day in the future...maybe. Not a first for me. I used to watch the oscars years ago - more for the fashion and see who won out of curiosity. Since I don't want to listen to their personal opinions.......:sad2: - I don't watch them anymore.

DH and I couldn't make it through Oppenheimer. We watched half of it and gave up. I felt it was very drawn out...like they could have told the story up to that point in half of the time. I'm guessing the second half was better (since that's where stuff would actually happen), but I probably won't watch it.

We don't usually watch movies so I can't comment on the other nominees.
It was even more drawn out the second half. I kid you not.

I didn't dislike the movie, but unlike dd and dh who loved it, I am just meh. Robert Downey, Jr. was excellent in it though.

As for the rest of the movies, haven't watched one. Not even Barbie. :confused3 For the most part, whatever wins the Oscar would not be the one I would pick. I don't think I have agreed with the Oscars since the early 90's. :rotfl:(All started with Forest Gump, which I like, but hands down Shawshank should've won.) Since then I have disagreed.

*edit, I take it back. I agreed in 2008 with Slumdog Millionaire

My favorite year was 2017 when I saw and loved 5 of the Best Picture nominees: Moonlight, La La Land, Manchester-by-the Sea, Lion, and Hidden Figures.

The only thing that marred that year, of course, was the announcement of the wrong winner--and all of the wrong folks had gathered on the stage and had started their speeches. I felt so bad for the Moonlight group--it was my favorite film of the five and I really enjoyed them all.

A friend went to the SAG screening of Killers of the Flower Moon. He said it's 3h 26min long! :faint: They had one or two intermissions during the movie to give people some breaks.

Oppenheimer is 3 hours long. What's with making long movies?

I don't think I have agreed with the Oscars since the early 90's. :rotfl:(All started with Forest Gump, which I like, but hands down Shawshank should've won.) Since then I have disagreed.

*edit, I take it back. I agreed in 2008 with Slumdog Millionaire
Last I agreed was with Ben-Hur, 1959.

Not much of a movie goer here, but I did see Oppenheimer (I like history). I thought it was excellent.

The only movie I've seen is Barbie and I LOVED it. BUT....do I think it's worthy of the prestige of Best Picture? No, not really. But since they bumped the nominees up to TEN of course it's going to be on there. However I do think it deserves other more technical awards, like costume, set design, song etc. Ryan Gosling definitely deserves Supporting Actor nom because I feel like what he brought to the movie was such a pleasant surprise. He stole the show!

Of the best picture nominees, I’ve seen Barbie and Killers of the Flower Moon. Both films stayed with me for days after seeing them, as they were both so powerful in such different ways. It’s always the mark of a good movie when your mind continually wanders back to it long after your viewing.

I started to watch Maestro and turned it off. It’s very rare for me to turn off a movie but it just wasn’t doing it for me. I expected to love it since I enjoy a good conductor/composer movie set in the world of music. Bradley Cooper was just trying too hard and it wasn’t working. Felt weird. Not a fan.

As for the Margot/Greta snub. Oscar voters are such snobs. They never want to admit a movie can be a blockbuster commercial success and still be a great film with an even better message. They want sweeping, 3-hour epics and art house flicks for their top categories.

I've only seen Barbie and the Holdovers.

I was curious about what the Barbie movie could actually be about. It didn't quite land with me, but it did go farther than I expected based on the subject alone.

The trailer made me want to see the Holdovers. The movie went much deeper than I expected. I thought it was fantastic. BTW, we saw it via streaming, I forget which service had it, in case anyone is interested.
I watched the holdovers last night, really enjoyed it, I think I watched it on peacock.

I hate that they continue to nominate 10 movies in this category.

Yes. It's a silly exercise, because while it includes more mainstream movies that people saw, most don't really have a chance to win. If you look at Best Directing, that's the short list. I know Best Picture doesn't always match, but it's a good indication of where it will lean.

Of the best picture nominees, I’ve seen Barbie and Killers of the Flower Moon. Both films stayed with me for days after seeing them, as they were both so powerful in such different ways. It’s always the mark of a good movie when your mind continually wanders back to it long after your viewing.

I started to watch Maestro and turned it off. It’s very rare for me to turn off a movie but it just wasn’t doing it for me. I expected to love it since I enjoy a good conductor/composer movie set in the world of music. Bradley Cooper was just trying too hard and it wasn’t working. Felt weird. Not a fan.

As for the Margot/Greta snub. Oscar voters are such snobs. They never want to admit a movie can be a blockbuster commercial success and still be a great film with an even better message. They want sweeping, 3-hour epics and art house flicks for their top categories.
Well I've known that since Ghandi won best costume design. C'mon. Really? You get a sheet. And YOU get a sheet. And YOU get a sheet.

Keep in mind the entire academy votes on best picture. But the director's branch votes on director. They're the most snobbish patriarchs of the bunch. Personally, I've never gone for these types of awards. To me, all the money Barbie made and all the people that loved it would be reward enough.

Im surprised and disappointed that Godzilla Minus One did not get a nod for Best Foreign Film.
100% this!! I was mad. I have seen it twice, and I am going to see it Minus Color this weekend.
I have seen Barbie and The Holdovers. I would like to see a few more, especially Poor Things.
The snub of Greta Gerwig is awful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter