Oscar Nominations

So far, I've seen Barbie, Oppenheimer, and The Holdovers, and want to see American Fiction. I don't have a real prediction for the winner yet.

Have only seen Killers and Holdovers, tried to watch Maestro but didn't like it. No idea who will win!

I have only seen Barbie and Oppenheimer from the list. I tried Maestro and turned it off about 30 minutes in. The only other movies from that list that I recognize is Killers of the Flower Moon and The Holdovers. Been wanting to see The Holdovers.

The Express (UK newspaper/tabloid) has made an article about Margot Robbie being snubbed and not nominated for her role as Barbie.

And their sensational poll is "Is it sexist that Margot Robbie is not nominated and Ryan Gosling is".
My opinion, no it is not. No matter how much I love Margot Robbie as Barbie, was her performance truly exceptional? No, not really. I think she did what the script and director asked her to do. I think Ryan Gosling elevated the material he was given.

Of the nominated movies, I have only seen Barbie and Maestro so far. Let's just say I'm glad I viewed Barbie at home on dvd, guess I'm in the minority but I thought it was a mess. I did love Ryan Gosling as Ken and the songs though. Maestro is a typical biopic and I found it boring. I have Past Lives on hold at the library so don't know how long that will take. I would also love to see The Holdovers and Poor Things. I loved Nyad(not nominated for best picture) and am glad both Jodie Foster and Annette Bening were nominated.

There was a time we used to make it a point to see every movie up for major nominations, but we’ve lost interest in it. I would like to see Maestro (but it worries me that people didn’t like it much). Two movies I saw that came recommended I didn’t like - The Whale and Father Stu - even though I sat through to the end on both hoping they’d get better! I found both depressing. I will probably give the Barbie movie a go just to see what all the hype is about.

The Express (UK newspaper/tabloid) has made an article about Margot Robbie being snubbed and not nominated for her role as Barbie.

And their sensational poll is "Is it sexist that Margot Robbie is not nominated and Ryan Gosling is".
My opinion, no it is not. No matter how much I love Margot Robbie as Barbie, was her performance truly exceptional? No, not really. I think she did what the script and director asked her to do. I think Ryan Gosling elevated the material he was given.
Totally agree. I went into the movie expecting to be blown away by Margot and it was definitely Ryan Gosling that stole the show.
SPOILER: In fact, I liked him so much that I rooted for a different outcome as he was too likeable lol and it made me like the movie less. He was so funny and awesome and adorable in that role. Don't think anyone could have pulled it off quite like him.

There was a time we used to make it a point to see every movie up for major nominations, but we’ve lost interest in it. I would like to see Maestro (but it worries me that people didn’t like it much). Two movies I saw that came recommended I didn’t like - The Whale and Father Stu - even though I sat through to the end on both hoping they’d get better! I found both depressing. I will probably give the Barbie movie a go just to see what all the hype is about.
My mom and I would see all the movies nominated for best picture in the theatres, that was back when there were only five. It was a lot of fun but there were some real head scratchers- The English Patient immediately comes to mind, lol. I loved The King's Speech, The Artist, Argo, Parasite. All best picture winners. Now I haven't seen a movie in the theatre for over two years. It's just such a hassle to buy a ticket, reserve a seat, etc. I'm just trying to watch a movie not go to a concert. It's just not worth it to me anymore. I did see The Whale last summer while on a plane, I agree that it was depressing but I already knew it was going to be. I've never heard of Father Stu.

I've only seen Barbie and the Holdovers.

I was curious about what the Barbie movie could actually be about. It didn't quite land with me, but it did go farther than I expected based on the subject alone.

The trailer made me want to see the Holdovers. The movie went much deeper than I expected. I thought it was fantastic. BTW, we saw it via streaming, I forget which service had it, in case anyone is interested.

From the list, I've only seen Oppenheimer, which was an incredible movie. Hard to believe that Barbie is in the same category. Is it really that good? :confused3

From the list, I've only seen Oppenheimer, which was an incredible movie. Hard to believe that Barbie is in the same category. Is it really that good? :confused3

I liked it. There are a lot of layers to it, and I'll probably watch it again eventually. I think part of the reason it's such a big accomplishment is how hard it is to take such an iconic piece of pop culture and figure out what to include, what to leave out, where to put the energy, etc. You're trying to grab an audience that's coming in with a lot of preconceived notions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter