• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oscar 2023 thoughts

Narcoossee11

DIS Veteran
My observations:

how did Disney get away with a preview of Little Mermaid. Movie is not released yet. lots of balls !!
wow, so many commercials for streaming services . don't they want people to go to theaters and watch movies at home. I prefer watching movies at home.
I thought they handled "the slap" well and in a comical way.
Winners were humble and appreciative.

Your thoughts

Well, ABC shows the Oscars, so Disney can program whatever advertising they see fit. They get to promo their new movie in a high-profile spot with lots of viewers (well, presumably - viewership ain't what it used to be!). That's their perogative. I didn't watch it, but it seems that Everything Everywhere cleaned up! I really should watch it. I am happy for Ke Huy Quan and jamie Lee Curtis, as well as Brendan Fraser - three very cool wins for very cool people that I don't think anyone would have predicted a year ago.

Is it really that strange to release a trailer for an upcoming movie during a major movie-watching audience event?
Not at all! Isn't it standard operating procedure to release one or more trailers months ahead of a movie release? There will be a :30 second commercial at some point, but as BrianL pointed out, Disney owns ABC and they can air whatever they choose over the network.

Not at all! Isn't it standard operating procedure to release one or more trailers months ahead of a movie release? There will be a :30 second commercial at some point, but as BrianL pointed out, Disney owns ABC and they can air whatever they choose over the network.

There was a time when the Oscars got HUGE ratings, but I don't know about these days. Still, it's clear that Disney is going BIG with this movie and want to promote it as much as possible. They are looking for a Billion dollar box office like Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King remakes. Unfortunatle,y it also looks too samey-samey for me to really care much.

There was a time when the Oscars got HUGE ratings, but I don't know about these days. Still, it's clear that Disney is going BIG with this movie and want to promote it as much as possible. They are looking for a Billion dollar box office like Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King remakes. Unfortunatle,y it also looks too samey-samey for me to really care much.
It looks like another Rob Marshall-directed piece of CGI crap, where everything has to be spelled out and literalized and made to look like a cartoon. So disappointing, from a studio known for its groundbreaking works.

Typical Hollywood fare of the past decade. Overly politicized speeches by stars who believe they are way more important and influential than they are.

Movie theaters are dying off and the art of making movies for such venues will continue to change as movies are now and will continue to be made for streaming services. Top Gun Maverick and a few others being the exception to the rule. Even Avatar 2. For all of the hype and the so called record breaking numbers. I don't understand it. When Top Gun Maverick was out, everyone who had seen it were talking about it and telling everyone else to get out and see it in a theater. I do not know one person who has seen Avatar 2 in the theater.

I'm not surprised they showed the trailer considering ABC is owned by Disney. I don't care about these live action remakes as they're low effort cash grabs. This one looks to be continuing that trend. Regardless it'll most likely rake in a ton of money like Lion King and Beauty and the Beast did.

I watched a little bit of the show last night and the "jokes" were as cringe as ever. I don't think Jamie Lee Curtis should've won over Stephanie Hsu but whatever. Brendan Fraser winning for Best Actor was wonderful. I'm also glad Pinocchio won for best animated film. It's fantastic.

I have. Now you do.

That makes 1.
Enough people saw it in theaters to help it make over $2 billion, and to catapult it to the third highest grossing film of all time.

I understand that Avatar is reporting those numbers and I assume that cannot be fudged in some way. I just find it weird as I don't know anyone who has seen it. Even fans of the original, like me. I just haven't gotten around to it and what I've seen and read of the screenplay, its just not that compelling of a story to make me go an see it. I will see it on Disney+

It looks like another Rob Marshall-directed piece of CGI crap, where everything has to be spelled out and literalized and made to look like a cartoon. So disappointing, from a studio known for its groundbreaking works.

I agree, though I don't know that I'd throw Rob Marshall under the bus like that. He's a perfectly competent director. It's just that these shot-for-shot remakes are so boring. Why would I ever watch them over the originals? This is especially treu when the originals are stone-cold MASTERPEICES. Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid - they are among the best of the best. Either change them up extremely (see Dumbo or even Mulan), or don't bother.

I did as well. And to add to that I did NOT see Top Gun: Maverick in theaters or at all. Avatar: Way of Water has made close to 2.3 Billion dollars at the box office - lot's of people saw it.

I'm not arguing with anyone or saying the movie is bad or a failure. I just don't hear people praising it or talking about how great it was or even saying that they saw it. Conversely when TG Maverick was out it was all over TV, internet, entertainment shows and everyone was hyping it.

I agree, though I don't know that I'd throw Rob Marshall under the bus like that. He's a perfectly competent director. It's just that these shot-for-shot remakes are so boring. Why would I ever watch them over the originals? This is especially treu when the originals are stone-cold MASTERPEICES. Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid - they are among the best of the best. Either change them up extremely (see Dumbo or even Mulan), or don't bother.
Rob Marshall has never made a film that wasn't a hack job, IMO. His edited-with-a-chainsaw style is ugly and lazy.

I'm not arguing with anyone or saying the movie is bad or a failure. I just don't hear people praising it or talking about how great it was or even saying that they saw it. Conversely when TG Maverick was out it was all over TV, internet, entertainment shows and everyone was hyping it.
TGM is widely considered, even by "legitimate" critics, a rip-roaring, hugely entertaining, well-made film. Many have praised A2 in similar terms. More raves than not.

Rob Marshall has never made a film that wasn't a hack job, IMO. His edited-with-a-chainsaw style is ugly and lazy.

Well, I've enjoyed his stuff in general. He's fine - not one of the greats or anything though. I won't lay the remake at his feet though as Disney wants to make them and they make big bucks too, so....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter