Orlando Magic Game/Area

JJ2017

DIS Veteran
We landed on staying at Gaylord for two nights during the xmas week. Also attending an Orlando Magic game. What are some "neighborhoods/areas" to possibly visit around the arena that could be good for dinner? Also - plan to drive from Gaylord to game or should we uber?

Thanks!

We landed on staying at Gaylord for two nights during the xmas week. Also attending an Orlando Magic game. What are some "neighborhoods/areas" to possibly visit around the arena that could be good for dinner? Also - plan to drive from Gaylord to game or should we uber?

Thanks!
Go east of the arena into the city to find a place to eat. Whatever you do don’t head west. Really it’s just a bad area in general. Very dangerous.

I'd probably Uber to avoid 1) having to find parking and 2) having to pay for it.

It's about a 40 minute drive (possibly more with traffic) from Gaylord Palms to Downtown Orlando:
  • If you drive: you can pre-purchase parking if parking near the arena is very important to you. If you don't pre-purchase parking, I would recommend parking at any of the public parking garages east of the arena on either Church Street/Pine Street/South Street/Orange Avenue or City Hall/City Commons areas.. Regardless of where you park, be sure to arrive early (you should be in downtown at least an hour before the game) and be prepared to deal with heavy traffic before/after the game, if the game is on a weekday also be sure to factor in for rush hour traffic in the downtown area given the many office buildings in this area and any other events happening nearby such as the Performing Arts center, etc.
  • If you Uber or Lyft: Also be sure to arrive early due to traffic, most of the roads immediately around the arena will be closed for pedestrian-use only so you may have to be dropped off a few blocks from the arena and walk the rest of the way..
  • For weekday games you can take the Sunrail for FREE: https://sunrail.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/23155_SUN_Magic-Train-2022-2023-Season_Schedule_F.pdf
Hope this helps! Go Magic!

Last edited:

Just northeast of the arena is Winter Park. It's a nice area to walk around, and the downtown area has a street called First Street that has a lot of nice restaurants.

Do you mean Park Avenue? I'm not familiar with a "First Street" in Winter Park.
Shoot I think you are right. I'm confusing my small towns! I'm in LA now and I also always confuse I-5 or just The 5 (a major highway over here) with I-4 in Orlando.

Just northeast of the arena is Winter Park. It's a nice area to walk around, and the downtown area has a street called First Street that has a lot of nice restaurants.
This is NOT near the arena which is where the OP is going. Winter Park is north of Downtown Orlando..

This is NOT near the arena which is where the OP is going. Winter Park is north of Downtown Orlando..
I would argue it's still "near." Not walkable but like a 15 minute drive away. I guess it depends on what the OP wants. If they want a quick dinner in walking distance than no, it's not what they are looking for, but if they want to visit a neighborhood and casually walk around before or after the game (depending on the time) then I think it's a good option. Just throwing it out there.

Thanks!
Hot off the press! Sunrail just recently announced they will provide FREE transportation to weekday Orlando Magic games with a game ticket, from Gaylord you could take a quick Uber/Lyft to either the Kissimmee or Tupperware SunRail stations and take the train to/from the game, this would be very cost effective and also a unique experience, the Sunrail trains are new and clean/well maintained. See schedule and flyer in link below:
https://sunrail.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/23155_SUN_Magic-Train-2022-2023-Season_Schedule_F.pdf

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter