• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Orlando Airport Weather Delays

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
I guess I’ve been pretty lucky, and can’t recall flying in to MCO during a bad weather day.

I am due to fly in Tuesday late afternoon, the weather for Tuesday looks pretty rainy, what are the chances we get delayed? I know no one can actually predict what will happen, but I can possible take a Monday night flight and am trying to weight if i think it’s worth it.

My daughter would miss an additional half day of school if we leave Monday and we would need a hotel room, but the flight is actually cheaper and as of now I would get a credit.

Last edited:
Rain? About .00000%
It takes massive lighting and/or high winds to delay flights.
They don't get delayed for rain. If they did, flights would never land in FL in summer afternoons.

Rain itself shouldn't delay you. Heavy storms might (depending on size, location, and duration).

Does the hotel cost more than the airline ticket savings?
What grade is your daughter in?

Those would determine if I would leave the night before, not the possibility of a flight delay (which can happen in perfect weather).

Rain itself shouldn't delay you. Heavy storms might (depending on size, location, and duration).

Does the hotel cost more than the airline ticket savings?
What grade is your daughter in?

Those would determine if I would leave the night before, not the possibility of a flight delay (which can happen in perfect weather).
The hotel would be about 150 more then the credit, only because if we are landing at midnight I don’t really want to go anywhere except the Hyatt at the airport.

She is in 3rd grade, Tuesday is a half day, she would miss.

Do you anything planned for Tuesday night?

Will it be the end of the world if your flight is delayed an hour or so?

Heavy rains and lightning can delay luggage handling at MCO.

Do you anything planned for Tuesday night?

Will it be the end of the world if your flight is delayed an hour or so?

Heavy rains and lightning can delay luggage handling at MCO.
Nope just dinner at the resort maybe a swim, shopping at the resort store, no plans that night.

Not the end of the world if I’m delayed, more worried about being canceled or a long delay hours!

ETA we aren’t checking bags so I’m not to worried about the luggage portion.

Last edited:
Lightning within a certain radius of the airport would require all ramp employees to take cover until an all-clear is given (so many minutes of no lightning in the area). Hard to predict if it would impact you - it could be raining in one place but not in another. If you want the extra day, take it, but I wouldn't try to predict potential delays as justification.

The hotel would be about 150 more then the credit, only because if we are landing at midnight I don’t really want to go anywhere except the Hyatt at the airport.

She is in 3rd grade, Tuesday is a half day, she would miss.
$150 plus extra food? Eh, toss up, but I lean toward "no" (but can easily be convinced "yes"). I agree with @FlyingBelle, barring a major storm forecasted, I wouldn't let a forecast change my schedule.

$150 plus extra food? Eh, toss up, but I lean toward "no" (but can easily be convinced "yes"). I agree with @FlyingBelle, barring a major storm forecasted, I wouldn't let a forecast change my schedule.
That’s just ii can I be convinced yes, but is it necessary I don’t know but the weather is worrying me!

That’s just ii can I be convinced yes, but is it necessary I don’t know but the weather is worrying me!
The Orlando weather doesn't seem that bad. 50% chance of rain showers winds 15 mph. Not great but shouldnt be bad enough to cause huge issues

The Orlando weather doesn't seem that bad. 50% chance of rain showers winds 15 mph. Not great but shouldnt be bad enough to cause huge issues
I’m seeing 90% with varying winds…. I like your forecast much better!

That's rain.
Not storms.
Rain does not impact airports.
Heaven help the airline industry if rain disrupted air traffic.
I must have bad luck! I always get delayed for weather, but I know sometimes it’s airport dependent so that’s why I was asking.

This thread is making me feel a bit better!!! Thank you

I must have bad luck! I always get delayed for weather, but I know sometimes it’s airport dependent so that’s why I was asking.
Sorry, I totally misunderstood, I thought you'd said at the beginning you've been lucky never flown during a bad weather day
I just can't fathom any airport that delays flights with nothing but rain falling. We have taken off and landed in rain numerous times. Even our small little 5 gate airport has planes take off and land in the rain. And airports don't get much smaller than ours, not and have commercial flights.
Delays from storms w/rain, yes
Delays from high wind w/rain, yes
Delays from Ice/Snow, naturally
So yeah, don't mistaken it, lots of weather can cause delays. It creates real havoc when that happens too.

PP is right though, MCO is pretty adept at working with rain in the region, seeing how it seems to rain about 360 days a year, somewhere in the area.

Sorry, I totally misunderstood, I thought you'd said at the beginning you've been lucky never flown during a bad weather day
I just can't fathom any airport that delays flights with nothing but rain falling. We have taken off and landed in rain numerous times. Even our small little 5 gate airport has planes take off and land in the rain. And airports don't get much smaller than ours, not and have commercial flights.
Delays from storms w/rain, yes
Delays from high wind w/rain, yes
Delays from Ice/Snow, naturally
So yeah, don't mistaken it, lots of weather can cause delays. It creates real havoc when that happens too.

PP is right though, MCO is pretty adept at working with rain in the region, seeing how it seems to rain about 360 days a year, somewhere in the area.
Haha sorry I did say that, but I should have been clear into MCO! I will adjust as that is very confusing.

I also thinking being in NY/NJ our runways can be shorter Lga is a great example and the tinyest weather can affect it!

Haha sorry I did say that, but I should have been clear into MCO! I will adjust as that is very confusing.

I also thinking being in NY/NJ our runways can be shorter Lga is a great example and the tinyest weather can affect it!
Adding to the mental list of why I'll never go to NYC ;)

Not that I have anything against it, just I'm a small town gal and am terrified of the idea of it. Not going to ever go

Adding to the mental list of why I'll never go to NYC ;)

Not that I have anything against it, just I'm a small town gal and am terrified of the idea of it. Not going to ever go
Hah fair! But if you can handle WDW NYC is a cake walk!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter