Original studios at Poly headed for an increase?

This line of thinking has never rang true to me. There are more than 5000 DVC villas at WDW alone, including more than 120 Grand Villas, 60 treehouses, 26 Copper Creek cabins and 20 bungalows. Of all those rooms--and the tens of thousands of underlying owners--we're concluding there aren't 20 people at a time willing to pay points for a bungalow? Yet there's somehow an endless stream of cash guests willing to drop over $3000 per night for these rooms, on 60 days notice no less???
Maybe there’s only one or two bungalows not being rented with points and lapsing to breakage, and maybe not all of the breakage actually gets booked on the cash side.

But I’m looking at availability right now, and the bungalows are basically unavailable with points until 60 days from now, and then completely available after that. Yet, on the cash side, they’re also booked up until Feb 1, and magically available after that.

I agree with you on these points. I was interested to learn more and went back and read my most recent contract (Riviera), and it says:

In order to meet the Owners’ needs and expectations as evidenced by fluctuations in Use Day demand at the Home Resort during a given calendar year, DVCM may, in its discretion, increase or decrease the Home Resort Vacation Point requirements for reservation of a given Use Day within a given Vacation Home during the given calendar year by any amount not to exceed twenty percent (20%) of the Home Resort Vacation Points required to reserve that Use Day during the previous calendar year; provided, however, that the total number of Home Resort Vacation Points existing within a given Unit (i.e., the amount of Home Resort VacationPoints representing one hundred percent (100%) of the Ownership Interests in a given Unit) at any time may not be increased or decreased because of any such reallocation. The twenty percent (20%) reallocation limitation shall not apply to increases or decreases in Home Resort Vacation Point reservation requirements relating to changes in special periods of high demand based upon Owner use patterns and changes in Owner use demand (including use demand during special or holiday seasons), as determined by DVCM in its discretion.

I'm no lawyer, but I read this to mean that DVCM can change the number of points needed for any given day between room types (not to exceed 20% year over year) but that the changes must be neutral to the unit point total. If that is the case, then DVCM could have been addressing the "bungalow problem" all along; and haven't.

Here is what is on the contract language of my purchase (just this month) at CCR.

An undivided 0.5904% interest in Unit 8C of Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney's Wilderness Lodge (the
‘Condominium’), according to the Declaration of Condominium thereof as recorded in Instrument Number
20170096685, in the Public Records of Orange County, Florida, and all amendments thereto (the ‘Declaration’);

Purchaser’s Ownership interest shall be symbolized as 250 Home Resort Vacation Points for purposes of administrative
convenience only and for no other purpose.

Thus for unit 8C, 100% ownership equals roughly 42,344 points. Say they add points to unit 8C by removing points from another unit, making unit 8C equal to 50,000 points. My 250 points would then only be a 0.5000% interest in the unit. Now I clearly own 0.5904% of the unit, so I should be given 295 points to keep my ownership level the same.

The key thing here is that we own an interest in real estate, not points. Points are just the medium of exchange on our real estate.

Now if unit 8C had a studio, a 1 bedroom and a 2 bedroom in it, points could be moved between the rooms in unit 8C so long as it still came to 42,344 points in total.

But Disney can not add or remove the total number of points that 100% ownership of unit 8C represents.

Here is what is on the contract language of my purchase (just this month) at CCR.

An undivided 0.5904% interest in Unit 8C of Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney's Wilderness Lodge (the
‘Condominium’), according to the Declaration of Condominium thereof as recorded in Instrument Number
20170096685, in the Public Records of Orange County, Florida, and all amendments thereto (the ‘Declaration’);

Purchaser’s Ownership interest shall be symbolized as 250 Home Resort Vacation Points for purposes of administrative
convenience only and for no other purpose.

Thus for unit 8C, 100% ownership equals roughly 42,344 points. Say they add points to unit 8C by removing points from another unit, making unit 8C equal to 50,000 points. My 250 points would then only be a 0.5000% interest in the unit. Now I clearly own 0.5904% of the unit, so I should be given 295 points to keep my ownership level the same.

The key thing here is that we own an interest in real estate, not points. Points are just the medium of exchange on our real estate.

Now if unit 8C had a studio, a 1 bedroom and a 2 bedroom in it, points could be moved between the rooms in unit 8C so long as it still came to 42,344 points in total.

But Disney can not add or remove the total number of points that 100% ownership of unit 8C represents.
I think we are saying the same thing.

I think we are saying the same thing.
I think DVC came to the conclusion that they COULD reallocate points pretty much however they wanted, and had done so in the past, so precedent was on their side.

And then they pushed the idea with the lock-off premium reallocation that went too far, got significant pushback and was “corrected”.

So. It appears that issue is at a stalemate such that I doubt DVC reopens that can with Poly2 addition.

It does create an interesting scenario though - where Poly1 studios might be significantly cheaper than Tower studios. Like BWV Stnd cheaper by comparison.

And if so, that will make booking patterns very interesting - and make my Poly1 fixed week look better and better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter