Organ Transplants and Disney

TheDisneyDoll

DIS Veteran
So who out there is a transplant recipient and Disney lover?
What do you do to keep it clean and safe for yourself?

I'm curious because I've heard all kind of things that transplant recipients do when they go out in public. One person I know even carries their own silverware with them.

DH is a kidney transplant recipient as of January 2017 and we took our first post-transplant trip two months ago. He always had a mask handy, in case he was in a confined area with people and used hand sanitizer religiously. We also wiped off the arm rests and tray tables on the plane, but we did that pre-transplant as well.

DH is a kidney transplant recipient as of January 2017 and we took our first post-transplant trip two months ago. He always had a mask handy, in case he was in a confined area with people and used hand sanitizer religiously. We also wiped off the arm rests and tray tables on the plane, but we did that pre-transplant as well.
I hope he is doing well and congrats to your family on his health and your trip :D
I received lungs in 2016 and my first trip was to Disney for the last night of Wishes. I got special permission to go because it was still a little soon.
I mask as well, I tried just wearing it around but it is so hot that it's hardly bearable. But spotting the mask when needed is great!
I took my dad on a cruise at my one year (also Disney) and I found it easier but also harder keeping things clean. I try not to cause unneeded stress but requesting some extra cleaning before arriving was a big help to my conscience.

I have had my transplanted liver almost my whole life (30 years this year!, I received it when I was 3) so I have had a lifetime of getting used to it. I was taken off all immunosuppressants a few years ago, but even when I was on them I never did anything outside of good hand washing and making sure that I kept my hands away from my face at all times. Different immunosuppressants act differently, and obviously the extent that each person's immune system is suppressed by a given drug or drugs is dependent on the person, and after following me my doctors were pretty supportive of me living as normal as possible, as I was always very healthy even on the meds, and didn't have any issues overcoming any of the illnesses that I did get. I have been so incredibly lucky in my transplant journey, and am thankful for it each and every day.

I have had my transplanted liver almost my whole life (30 years this year!, I received it when I was 3) so I have had a lifetime of getting used to it. I was taken off all immunosuppressants a few years ago, but even when I was on them I never did anything outside of good hand washing and making sure that I kept my hands away from my face at all times. Different immunosuppressants act differently, and obviously the extent that each person's immune system is suppressed by a given drug or drugs is dependent on the person, and after following me my doctors were pretty supportive of me living as normal as possible, as I was always very healthy even on the meds, and didn't have any issues overcoming any of the illnesses that I did get. I have been so incredibly lucky in my transplant journey, and am thankful for it each and every day.
I was 24 at transplant but had most my life for the mental preparation.
Transplanted life for me has almost been 100% healthy aside from the side effects of my transplant process.
I have some bad nerve damage in my legs, chronic migraines, anxiety and depression now but really that's mostly nothing compared to before lol

I was 24 at transplant but had most my life for the mental preparation.
Transplanted life for me has almost been 100% healthy aside from the side effects of my transplant process.
I have some bad nerve damage in my legs, chronic migraines, anxiety and depression now but really that's mostly nothing compared to before lol

All of my transplant related issues nowadays are thankfully just emotional issues from dealing with being so ill when I was a young child and never really having a childhood, as well as dealing with a very over protective mom, nothing a bit of therapy can't overcome though, so I count myself as healthy and thriving!

Wishing you the best of health!!!!!

Dh (kidney, Jan 2015)

Pretty much anywhere we go that is outside our regular routine:

Sunscreen, applies it often. Hat, long sleeved shirt and long pants (they are very lightweight and moisture wicking, with built in SPF, but he still sunscreens everywhere under them). Stays out of the sun when he is able to.

Drinks only out of bottles, no fountain drinks, even water, and no ice. Wipes the drinks down before opening. Notify restaurants to avoid fresh garnish, veg (like lettuce for a burger), etc. Has handwipes, because while he will wash his hands in the restroom, he still doesn't feel safe with the soap dispenser, door handles, etc; so he uses the wipes after he comes out, also after throwing away trash. Doesn't eat the open snacks, like popcorn/pretzels, only prepackaged. He uses hand sanitizer religiously too. Never touches handrails anywhere, if he can help it.

At hotels, we remove the comforter/duvet from the beds. I wipe down counters, phone, remotes, door handles, lightswitches, with lysol or clorax wipes. Toothbrushes/bathroom items stay in their bags unless being used. He hasn't flown since getting the transplant, but he'd go on early boarding and wipe down his area if he did.

The only time he wears a mask now is if he's in a very tight space with others, so he just avoids places that "pack 'em like sardines", or at the hospital, if he has to go into the ER.

DH had a heart transplant 6/2014

He will wear a mask while on a plane. We also wipe down tray/arm rests etc on plane.
He wears sunscreen and a hat now.
No raw seafood etc.
Other than that we do not fret too much about germs etc..
We just go about enjoying our life.

DH had a heart transplant 6/2014

He will wear a mask while on a plane. We also wipe down tray/arm rests etc on plane.
He wears sunscreen and a hat now.
No raw seafood etc.
Other than that we do not fret too much about germs etc..
We just go about enjoying our life.
That is my attitude about it for the most part as well.
It's a new life if we avoid living to much what are we doing? :)

Congrats to your husband though! I love hearing the success stories from people, the gift of life is truly a miracle.
I hope his health is doing great and that you make many more magical moments together

My DS had a liver transplant in 2015 and went through rejection in 2017. We have taken several trips to Disneyland (their DAS is wonderful) in order for him to not have to stand in close proximity to other people in crowded circumstances. He is on numerous medications, including immunosuppressants. I am hyper mom-aware he is much more easygoing about it. I carry his mask with me and he wears it consistently when we are on airplanes (people have been very hurtful in on planes-some older gentleman made it a point to switch seats when he saw that my DS was wearing a mask) He is a teenager and is very self-conscious about wearing a mask. We are constantly using hand sanitizer the entire time we visit Disney. I carry miniature Lysol with me and spray everything down in the hotel room as well. There are usually at least four of us in a group when we go so we try to keep him in the middle and spaced apart from railings and other people when we are in line as well. He is usually in such a good mood since he is at Disney that he doesn't act to teenagery about the "extra" things we do.

My grandson had a heart transplant at 4 months old - he turned 3 in March. We went to Disney last September and will be going in November. We masked him in close places and on busses. We drove but if we fly he has to masked for the flight and airport. He wears sunscreen daily year round.

My mom had a double lung transplant in 2016 and we went to Disney for the first time this past week! She wore her mask 24/7 on the plane, bus, and in the parks. She had all her medication in pill bags divided by time and alarms sent on when to take it. She wiped down her armrest and fold down table on the plane and on her scooter. We kept hand sanitizer on a keychain and replied it religiously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter