Order a book on Amazon, read it, return it: do people really do this?

Around here the library is not used like it used to be
I'd say physical books are lower on the priority list for people in my area. I love physical books but our libraries are constantly changing with the times.

With 3D printing, rows of sewing machines, recording studio, of course computers and more the libraries are seen and utilized as community gathering places.

They still invest a lot in actual books but having grown up in libraries in the area I can see how they have shifted and grown to expand what they want to represent to the community.

I also don't know how it is for other people but I know for some over time they've shared how limited their libraries are. Where I live i have access to 4 different library systems in the metro plus 1 to the west of me. Most of my ebooks come from the library on the other side of the state line because they get better content but my interlibrary loans come from the main one in my county but movies I tend to get there and the one in my city (that is privately funded system with just 2 locations but tied to the city with bylaws), etc.

I would never return either an ebook or a physical book. I actually have duplicate copies of a few books received as gifts and didn’t return those either. I can only recall one time in my life that I returned something, and it was because the item was defective and wouldn’t work. I still felt incredibly guilty taking it back. I agree with the PP who pointed out that in many cases you can download a sample of the book for free, which at least gives you an idea of the writing style and subject matter before you buy. I use that a lot when browsing for ebooks on my iPad.

Like others mentioned, I have noticed that many romance ebooks are sold in bits and pieces, and I avoid those authors like the plague, especially when you can’t get all the sections of their books on the same platform. Why am I going to pay for parts one and three if there’s no guarantee I can find part two anywhere?

I do still buy physical books, primarily books with a lot of photos or special editions, like the WDW 50th Anniversary book. My dream is to turn one of the bedrooms in the house into a library, and ebooks won’t fill the shelves!

Hard to see how anyone would think the juice is worth the squeeze, unless the goal is to reduce the authors book sales count for best seller lists which I can totally see certain groups of people doing these days.

Last edited:
My dream is to turn one of the bedrooms in the house into a library,
One of our extra bedrooms is considered the library..although it's also where one of my workout equipment is in there, where all the luggage is in there and now where the sewing machine is there buuttt there are still 2 bookcases. I technically need a third because I have too many books (last I counted it was over 350) but many were bought when Borders was around and then Half-Price Books..I really miss Borders. Barnes and Noble never gave me that same feeling as Borders did.

I resisted eBooks for a long time but eventually got a Kindle back in 2015, it can never replace the actual physical book experience though, that's just such a special experience.

One of our extra bedrooms is considered the library..although it's also where one of my workout equipment is in there, where all the luggage is in there and now where the sewing machine is there buuttt there are still 2 bookcases. I technically need a third because I have too many books (last I counted it was over 350) but many were bought when Borders was around and then Half-Price Books..I really miss Borders. Barnes and Noble never gave me that same feeling as Borders did.

I resisted eBooks for a long time but eventually got a Kindle back in 2015, it can never replace the actual physical book experience though, that's just such a special experience.
I have five bookcases, but they are all different. I would like to completely line the walls with matching bookcases, put a nice desk under the window and an oversized, plush loveseat to curl up in and read. I am aiming to make it happen before I retire, so I have some time yet. I mostly buy from Barnes & Noble or Books A Million here, unless it’s something I can only get online.

I like ebooks for two things. I like to take my old iPad mini on trips so I don’t pack half a suitcase with books (yes, I used to pack at least a book per day of vacation, and it got heavy sometimes). Since it’s not my main iPad, I don’t worry about having it by the pool or carrying it around with me, and I can have hundreds of books at my disposal (I currently have 821 ebooks on it). I also like to read on the iPad in bed because I can put it on the night setting and have the room dark while reading, which makes it easier for me to fall asleep. I check for free books about once a week, so there is always something new to read and I have found some new favorite authors that way.

On the plus side, free books mean no returns for a refund . . .

I check for free books about once a week, so there is always something new to read and I have found some new favorite authors that way.
Me too, I have separated out lists. There's also books from authors when you sign up for their newsletters that I've gotten. I honestly haven't been using my Amazon Prime benefit for early access to books probably because it's usually not the genre I'm into much but that's an option too.
I like ebooks for two things. I like to take my old iPad mini on trips so I don’t pack half a suitcase with books (yes, I used to pack at least a book per day of vacation, and it got heavy sometimes). Since it’s not my main iPad, I don’t worry about having it by the pool or carrying it around with me, and I can have hundreds of books at my disposal (I currently have 821 ebooks on it). I also like to read on the iPad in bed because I can put it on the night setting and have the room dark while reading, which makes it easier for me to fall asleep.
I was the same way bringing books on vacation. It was heavy and I worried about damage to the books. I love that I can read on the plane and not disturb other passengers. For me I don't use the overhead light because my Kindle adjusts to the light. Mine is an actual eReader (Voyage) so it's limited in function and is black and white but for the eBooks I get from the library I use a Kindle Fire and I selectively take that with me on vacation whereas I always take my Kindle Voyage. The only downside is when you're flying having to take it out and do an extra bin just for it although that's a minor inconvenience.

As of date if have almost 1800 eBooks on my Kindle..I keep meaning to get to reading the ones I own but clearly I get caught up in Kindle Unlimited lol. But KU also lets you do 20 books at a time rather than 10. On the topic of the thread...I'm well past any of my refund options for any of the books I own ;) although I don't know that I've ever actually returned a book I purchased, usually because it takes me a while to get to it if I'm reading other books. I have however accidentally purchased a few books since getting a kindle when I meant to hit the Kindle Unlimited button and for those you can get an immediate refund (but do too many of those and your account will be flagged). The issue with that is that Amazon requires you to have a 1-click purchase set up so it's super easy to accidentally purchase when you don't mean to.

Reading before bed also helps me sleep :) and with my Voyage the light it emits is a lot less than a cell phone would be so it doesn't disturb my husband (who falls asleep in 5mins:rolleyes: )

The nerve of people. Myself, not a fan of LL Bean! I would return any items purchased from LL Bean and give the money directly to Books and their authors.

I would never think to do this. It's just wrong. If I had a library in my town I'd go there if this was my intention. Some people are so cheap that it's tacky.
My library does online checkouts, so as long as you're in the province you can check a book out electronically from anywhere. Might be worth looking to see if you can do something like that?

Well, the pirates gotta get their inventory form somewhere. Buy the book, strip the DRM, post it on the high seas, return the book. It's just sad that authors like me get punished financially by this garbage. Not only do we lose the sale from Amazon, we lose the future sales when our books turn up on the pirate sites. Disgusting. 🙄

Well, the pirates gotta get their inventory form somewhere. Buy the book, strip the DRM, post it on the high seas, return the book. It's just sad that authors like me get punished financially by this garbage. Not only do we lose the sale from Amazon, we lose the future sales when our books turn up on the pirate sites. Disgusting. 🙄

My friend successfully got an unofficial Italian translation of her book taken down by doing a DMCA with the web host company. Theres also a Russian unofficial translation of her book circulating on Russian websites but Russian web hosting companies dont recognise DMCA takedown notices, so there is nothing she can do about that.

People still buy physical books? Or actually BUY any book? My wife's hobby is downloading, reading and then rating the free books from Amazon on her Kindle. I just got a new library card, probably haven't had one in 50 years, and I can check out e-books for free.
I am in front of a screen so much during the day, between my office job and my time spent on my phone looking at social media and playing games, that I love my physical books! My reading time is my time away from screens and electronics.

[/QUOTE]
Library doesn't carry all the books I want to read.
Lots of books aren't available over Overdrive.

Fun fact about public libraries: the more you use them, the better they get. This is because libraries rise and fall on their use statistics; that is how they prove to boards and county councils that there is demand for service. When usage numbers drop, often funding allocation does as well, which is the opposite of the effect that you want. You're more likely to get a larger slice of the budget pie when you can prove that your community uses the Library, and that, in turn, allows the purchase of more titles, and the hiring of skilled staff who can design and implement innovative programs. So, please, don't give up on your library: borrow things even if you're on the fence and just return them if you don't like them; libraries are the one place where that kind of return is a good thing, because it adds to the usage count. Also, Overdrive, while it has the largest market share, is NOT the only library ebook vendor out there, and if demand is sufficient, almost every library that can afford to will add service from other companies, which broadens the available selection.

Most US communities pull about $30/yr from property taxes per household for public library funding. However, even really heavily tax-supported districts seldom get more than about $60/yr per household. That's around the cost of one or two, at best three, new best-sellers at retail. Public libraries are probably one of the best bang-for-your-buck tax benefits most Americans ever see. In addition, now that eBook services allow greater reach via the Web, many large districts have been negotiating their contracts to allow out-of-district purchased memberships. The extra revenue from those membership sales allow them to add more titles than they would otherwise be able to afford.

The mission of public libraries is evolving and expanding because of the digital divide and the maker movement, but the original core of the mission still remains for most; they still serve readers more than anyone else.

My friend successfully got an unofficial Italian translation of her book taken down by doing a DMCA with the web host company. Theres also a Russian unofficial translation of her book circulating on Russian websites but Russian web hosting companies dont recognise DMCA takedown notices, so there is nothing she can do about that.
Yeah, my publisher spends an inordinate amount of time flinging cease and desists around, but it's impossible to win that game long term. The pirates just open up another website on another domain and keep on going. Plus, the time it takes to fight just sucks resources away from the things they and I really should be doing.

Once or twice I returned a gift book that wasn’t to my taste after glancing thru them, and received store credit.

Too many people take advantage of generous return policies. LL Bean was mentioned. Costco is another. Several years back someone returned a cut Christmas tree after January 1 and got a refund. Then there are reports of people returning leftover food from a party or BBQ, claiming the food wasn’t good, and wanting a full refund.

I am in front of a screen so much during the day, between my office job and my time spent on my phone looking at social media and playing games, that I love my physical books! My reading time is my time away from screens and electronics.

This is me. I work in technology and use screens all day. When I read I want a physical book. I don't really read fiction, I read professional development books, biographies, histories, and health related books so I also like to keep them for reference down the line.

I self publish books on amazon & kindle. I have had a few readers return books & ebooks that I sent them to review. Many of those did write a review so I don't know if they read and returned or just made up the review.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter