Opinions please!! How much should I charge for doing someone's wedding flowers???

shimmyshimmy83

Earning My Ears
I was recently recruited by one of my mother's co-workers who is starting an event planning business. Her first event is a wedding and she has asked me to do all of the floral work for the wedding. I have roughly 6 years experience in floral design, having worked in various floral shops and have done many weddings before. Problem is that when I worked in the shops I always recieved my normal hourly pay. This will be my first independent floral project and I am unsure of what to charge.

The floral arrangements we have discussed thus far will cost roughly $3,000and will be divided between 20 table centerpieces, bridal bouquet, 5 bridesmaid's bouquets, altar arrangements as well as pieces for the groom & groomsmen.

They have requested that I be paid in one total amount as opposed to hourly.

So here's where I need your opinions:
Should I ask to be paid a certain percentage based off the final cost or come up with a price beforehand? Also what percentage or amount do you think I should be paid? I don't want to under or overbid..

I don't want to ask anyone in the floral industry as from my experience topics like this tend to ruffle feathers...

I've also posted this topic on the community board in order to gain as much advice as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Think about the work you have done and what she is asking for. If it takes you about 2 hours to do one of her centerpieces in a normal florist shop, figure 2.5 to make it Perfect since it is a wedding, and if your hourly wage is 25, then multiply. just because she doesnt want to pay you hourly doesnt mean you have to skip all hour calculations. you have the skill and deserve to be paid for your work.

my friend owns a florist shop. what is your normal hourly wage? and will you do this in your home?

I have thought about doing it that way, but it is very hard to say how long it will take exactly until I am able to get started on it. When I worked in the floral shop I recieved $18 an hour.
She will be providing everything for me, the space, flowers and all of the supplies. I just have to prep and arrange them.

I work as a freelance graphic designer and often have to price my services per project instead of by the hour, too. It is definitely tricky to estimate your time before you begin a project, but like someone already mentioned, if you can estimate the number of hours you will spend ahead of time, that is the best bet for your final fee calculations. I would not do a percentage off of the total price because there may not always be a direct correlation between the cost of the supplies and amount of time it takes you to do the work. I don't know much about the floral business, but say if you have out of season flowers that you have to import from someplace so the price is way up there, but then its a simple design for you, it would not necessarily balance out. Or vice versa with a common flower and an intricate design. Whenever I have trouble estimating my time (which I still often do!), I try to think of the big picture and end result, and ask myself ... "will this design look like its worth $XX of my time?" There's no full proof method because often projects will take longer than I plan, or there is an unexpected twist and turn in the design process, but with experience you do learn a bit by trial and error and it will get easier as you go on. One final thing, not sure if this applies in your field, but as a freelancer my hourly rate is higher than if I were to work in house somewhere, because of other expenses incurred. But if the workspace is provided to you, not sure if that would apply for you necessarily. Anyway, I hope this helps somewhat, and best of luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter