Opinions on SSR and BCV

yekcoh_99

Mouseketeer
We are planning on joining the DVC but are conflicted on which resort to buy into. SSR is the most economical, but it isn't as appealing as some of the other resorts such as BCV or AKV. Especially since we have two toddlers and the pool doesn't seem as exciting as the others. I'm interested in hearing opinions from anyone who's stayed at these resorts, in particular SSR. What are you thoughts on the resort? Is it as appealing and nice as the others once you get in there? If we go with SSR, how hard is it to get into the BCV or AKV for a weeks stay? Do they tend to be booked out prior to the 7 months rule? Thanks everyone!

Buy where you want to stay most.

I can't say enough about SSR - we think it is wonderful.

Whether or not you can get what you want at the seven month window changes with the seasons, economy, and luck of the day.

Good luck with your decision - enjoy the process!

I have not stayed at either so I can't help you (new to DVC), but I too went through the SSR or BLT debate.

In the end, I knew that I really wanted to be near MK (we have stayed at the CR most of the time) and loved the idea of BLT.

While it cost me more, I am happy to know I can book my entire trip at 11 months where I want to be. If I decide to try other resorts, I can, but don't have to worry that I will be stuck somewhere that is not my first (or 2nd, etc.) choice.

If you are really concerned about SSR, I would try to go there and stay before deciding. It can definitely save you money, and many on here will tell you that they have had great luck at 7 months, but others have not. BCV will be harder than AKV, IMO, especially if you want to be there around F & W time in October.

Good luck!

I have stayed at both and love both resorts..........but we prefer BCV. We own at SSR and have not had a problem (so far at least) booking at other places. SSR has a very nice pool but it is not SAB. I like SSR probably the best of the resorts I stayed but for us it is about LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. I wish I could pick up SSR and put it on the boardwalk. For us the BW location is awesome for the walk to EPCOT and DHS plus the BW area is a blast for the whole family. So for us we try to stay at the BW area if possible. I'm trying to add on at BCV (Disney exercised thier ROFR) or BWV (going to ROFR in a few days) not becasue I like the resorts better than SSR but because I like the location. Not sure if that helps and only you can decided if the higher buy in, higher MF and earlier exp date is worth the location. I'm torn on this one but happy with how I have stacked my pts up.

As adult visitors to WDW we prefer SSR. Being able to go to dinner in DTD without ADRs is really nice. However if the pool is a major consideration then you cannot beat SAB.

We've stayed at two of the DVC resorts renting points, and the two resorts are..........SSR and BCV :lmao:

We're in the boat as Culli, love the location of BCV/BWV, but also have no complaints about SSR. We were a bit hesitant in taking a reservation at SSR last year (decided we were going to WDW somewhat last minute and it's all that was available), but it was very nice and relaxing. Our DS (4 at the time) LOVED the pools at SSR just as much as SAB.

This spring we decided to take the plunge into DVC, and bought a SSR contract. For us (and only you can make your decision - not anyone on the internet), the combination of a lower buy in, lower dues, and longer expiration sealed the deal. We don't (yet) travel to WDW during peak seasons, and we honestly will be happy staying anywhere at WDW (yes - that even includes SSR.........). Another reason we chose SSR is that since we've only stayed at 2 of the DVC resorts, and would like to try them all. After that we'll know were we "have" to call home, and SSR gave us the lowest cost way of doing this.

Don't expect that I'll be able to get "whatever resort I want" at 7 months - but won't be upset if I do :rotfl: In choosing your home resort you have to decide if you'll be upset if you don't get DVC ___________. If that's the case then buy there - silly to spend all that $$ and spend your trip at one resort wishing you'd be at another.

Chris

We are planning on joining the DVC but are conflicted on which resort to buy into. SSR is the most economical, but it isn't as appealing as some of the other resorts such as BCV or AKV. Especially since we have two toddlers and the pool doesn't seem as exciting as the others. I'm interested in hearing opinions from anyone who's stayed at these resorts, in particular SSR. What are you thoughts on the resort? Is it as appealing and nice as the others once you get in there? If we go with SSR, how hard is it to get into the BCV or AKV for a weeks stay? Do they tend to be booked out prior to the 7 months rule? Thanks everyone!

It all comes down to location and "value". SSR has a "lousy" location relative to the Epcot resorts. You need to bus to anything other than DTD. As for others talking about pools though there is a kiddie water cannon "park" in at least one of the phases at SSR. I forget the phase name but it is not on the DTD side but closer to the Tree House Village side ... the section between the THV and the main checkin area. SSR give great bang for the buck but BLT has the monorail to Magic Kingdom and the Epcot resorts have the boardwalk and the great proximity to DHS and Epcot.

IMO SSR rooms are a little nicer than the Epcot resorts (since they are newer) AKL has nicer than SSR and BLT rooms are very contemporary (as expected) but seems like smaller units to me. I think AKL is the nicest currently.

Well there's the opinion .... everyone has one:rolleyes:

Buy where you love to stay. If you don't know wher that is, then rent before you buy.

You are buying a pre-paid vacation for 40-50 years. Buying to save a few bucks and not loving the place, doesn't make sense.

We own at SSR and BCV...like the other posters, we find walking to Epcot and the Studios "irresistible." We also just love BCV and BCI "for themselves." While we like SAB a lot, we mostly use the BCV pool (a sort of "quiet pool")...I like to swim for exercise, which is virtually impossible to do at SAB...we do use SAB and enjoy it, but use the BCV pool considerably more...

But we also really love SSR...the main pool there is, like SAB, not so good for "exercise swimming," but it's a neat pool...we like it a lot...and we really like that it's "right at" Artist's Palette...we also love the Grandstand feature pool and young ones really love the interactive water play area there. I'm also a walker...and walking the grounds at SSR is a treat...

Of course, there's the spa and the golf at SSR for those who are in to those activities (not so much for us)...

But there's one huge advantage to SSR that many people seem to overlook: if you're at all in to resort hopping, or dining at one of the resort (as opposed to park) restaurants, SSR's proximity to Downtown Disney makes using Disney transportation to the other resorts MUCH easier than it is from other resorts...if you get a room in Congress Park, it's a 5-10 minute walk (depending on what end of CP you're at, and how fast you walk) to a bus that will take you directly to your resort/restaurant...every other resort you have to do some kind of transportation transfer...this is a huge advantage after a late-ish dinner when the only Disney transportation running is to and from Downtown Disney!

We also don't consider a trip to Disney complete w/out a visit to Downtown Disney...and Downtown Disney seems to be the most "difficult" of the Disney venues to access from the resorts...in 16 years of regular trips to WDW, we've always found the DTD buses come the least frequently (especially prior to evening hours)... SSR offers the easiest access to DTD--

Plus, if you need a "real store" (something not carried in one of the resort stores), you can easily (about a 20-minute walk, or a $5 cab ride) access a drugstore (and I think a grocery) right near Downtown Disney...not a huge factor, but one that we found most beneficial on one trip recently when we had to have an "emergency" prescription filled...

So...as w/all the Disney resorts, there are advantages to each...I'm happy as can be w/my ownership at both SSR and BCV...we've now stayed at all DVCs except WLV and BLT and while there are times when availability is an issue, we have by no means found we "never" get to book other places...we also frequently decide "at the last minute" to do a trip (a byproduct of having a college student for whom "planning" is a disease!) and we've never been unable to book somewhere, or been forced to book w/cash...and that includes two spring break trips planned less than 2 months (and in one case, less than 3 weeks) prior to arrival...

So, for us, if we were buying in for the first time now, we'd find the economics of SSR irresistibly appealing...you can always add on at BCV (or another resort) later if you want an 11-month advantage for particular trips...(that's how we acquired our BCV points)...

Good luck w/your decision...

GREAT Post DKEDM! :thumbsup2

While I'm not biased one way or another towards SSR, it's really nice to see someone spending the time to lay out the good points of the resort.

But there's one huge advantage to SSR that many people seem to overlook: if you're at all in to resort hopping, or dining at one of the resort (as opposed to park) restaurants, SSR's proximity to Downtown Disney makes using Disney transportation to the other resorts MUCH easier than it is from other resorts...if you get a room in Congress Park, it's a 5-10 minute walk (depending on what end of CP you're at, and how fast you walk) to a bus that will take you directly to your resort/restaurant...every other resort you have to do some kind of transportation transfer...this is a huge advantage after a late-ish dinner when the only Disney transportation running is to and from Downtown Disney!

:thumbsup2 This is awesome to hear! We love to try the resort restaurants. :woohoo:

I have never stayed at BW or BCV but I have stayed at SSR. That is our home resort and I really like it there. It is a huge layout but walking paths can get you anywhere. When you stay at Disney you usually have to take transportation somehwere so that does not bother us too much. My kids like the bus rides to different places. They do have several pools and one has a splashing kind of park. They also had movies at the pool so the kids just sat in the pooland watched the movie. It is a really well kept resort as well. I don't think youcan go wrong with any resort though.

We stayed at SSR this past March (me and my 4 year old son) and loved it. The main pool was closed for refurb, but we had a nice pool just outside of our building. We ate in our room the entire trip, so we didn't have to deal with the counter service restaurant, which I thought was HORRENDOUSLY small considering the size of the resort. I waited forever for a sandwich that I had to order and wait to be cooked....and there was NO ONE else in the place at the time. I can only imagine how horrible it would be during a meal rush.

I am an owner at AKV and am looking forward to staying there next March 2010. Since you have toddlers, you may want to consider AKV. The pool there looks incredible (check out the photos of the new Uzima pool area) and you can't beat being able to see animals from your balcony.

OK, so have I confused you further??? :)

......IMO SSR rooms are a little nicer than the Epcot resorts (since they are newer) AKL has nicer than SSR and BLT rooms are very contemporary (as expected) but seems like smaller units to me. I think AKL is the nicest currently.......

Have the average room sizes for BLT in my notes. Unfortunately, didn't write down where I got the info from, so not sure how accurate the numbers actually are. Perhaps someone with a POS can confirm them.

339 sq.ft. - Studio
803 sq.ft. - 1 Bedroom
1,152 sq.ft. - 2 bedroom
2,044 sq.ft. - Grand Villa

If those are correct (think they are), the BLT 1 & 2 bedrooms are the second largest of the WDW DVC resorts. Only OKW has larger 1 & 2 bedroom villas.

The BLT studios are small. Looks like they are just a tad bigger than the AKV value studios.

OP - we are in a similar boat with 1 toddler. BCV is the best location for us and we love SAB pool. I am very persuaded by the lower buy in to SSR, but I don't love it and DH never wants to stay there. We haven't completely made up our mind yet, but I don't think we'll end up at SSR - it's just not our style. Good luck with your decision!

One fact that rarely is mentioned is that a DVC ownership will last 40+ years. Making a purchase based primarily on one's current situation - toddlers, in this case - may a case of short-term thinking. What appears attractive to a family in one situation might not be as attractive in another. Remember, by the time the DVC ownership ends, these toddlers will have progressed through tweens, teens, young adults, adults, possibly married and may very well be grandparents :rolleyes1.

We own at SSR and love it. Our family is older but the extended family has small children. We initially picked SSR over BCV/BWV(my DH loves Epcot and DHS) because our family is VERY active between runners, serious walkers, cyclists and swimmers. SSR was more to our lifestyle young and old. We did consider the future when we purchased and asked our DDs (20/24). They also considered the golf course, spa and walking distance to DTD as advantages.

That all said, I was lucky at 7 months and was able to book a week at BWV std view. My DH and I want to see if we need to have a small BWV add on just for us. A small contract will allow us to book 11 mos out and if DDs don't want to keep it, it will be easier to sell.

Thanks Princessbride. It's nice to know we're not the only ones out there facing this situation. We ended up going with BCV and our resale offer was just accepted! It was a tough decision b/c of the great deals out there. But in the end we decided it was worth paying a couple thousand more if it meant never having a moment of being disappointed in where we'd be staying. Best of luck!!!

We are BW owners but always prefer to stay at BC. If BC were available when we bought, we definitely would have taken BC. We bought when my kids were young (oldest a pre-teen, youngest about 4)...and we've stayed at BW only before BC was finished or if we can't get BC but can get BW. Last visit we couldn't get either so we stayed at SSR. We did enjoy it; it's a beautifully laid-out resort, and my DDs and I loved going for a long walk in the a.m., etc.
However, ever since we've stayed at BC, that's really the ONLY place my family wants to stay. SAB is fantastic for everyone. My kids were crazy about it when we 1st went, and they continue to enjoy it immensely. We really missed the BW/BC area when we stayed at SSR....it was just a little too removed for us. With BC, it's relaxing enough without being too quiet. It is definitely MUCH harder to get BC at 7 mos. than it is to get SSR. My children are now grown & we have a DGD, 18 mos. We are going in August and will stay at BC again. This trip & another trip we booked at BW at 11 mos. and then went to switch to BC at 7 mos. The other time didn't work; this time it did. We will probably continue to stay at BC until we try BLT at some point when my DGD gets a little older. Both resorts are great, but we are definitely HUGE BC fans! Good luck with your decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter