Opinions on motion sickness

You never know until you try. Pick one of them for your last ride of an evening and test it out. On Mission Space the 10 year old girl tried the intense one and when she got off she said "they call that intenst?" So go figure

I get car sick if I'm riding in the back seat of a car every single time. But I can ride Soarin and Star Tours. Splash mountain made me sick - the little drops before the big drop did it. Mine Train I was able to do - I didn't feel sick to my stomach but my hands fell asleep. I haven't attempted any other roller coasters. I have taken Bonine when taking a ferry - it was rough seas and it was a small ferry for over an hour ride and I was fine. Just make sure to take it a couple hours beforehand so it can work. But I'm pretty sensitive to taking medicine and it doesn't bother me.

My husband has issues with most screen based rides. If he experiences any difference between what he's seeing and what he's feeling, he feels sick. So basically on a ride like Soarin', he might be relatively okay in the center seats, but in the end seats he feels things are not quite perfect and it makes him feel sick.

I'll echo the "You may not know until you try" advice. My husband can do Mission Space Green with no problem. He'll ride Star Tours once but knows not to do it multiple times. Soarin' gets him a little, but he'll ride it once per trip. FOP he did once and said never again.

I generally don't get bothered by simulator rides. There were a couple quick times on FOP that I needed to look away from the screen. Spinning, turning upside down, or going backwards are what usually get me.

Neither of us gets sick on car rides, though I can't ride backwards on a train. DD, who gets motion sick in cars, could do everything I've mentioned except Everest, and for her I think it was a combination of motion sickness and general fear.

My husband is fine on the screen based rides but can not do Mission Space orange and the teacups. He loves Mission space green though for me that one is too boring and prefer orange so we always ride that one separately.

Tower of terror also gets him a little near the end. He thinks it goes on just too long. I've been riding that one by myself because our kid refuses to ride it.

For me, personally:

movement = fine
screens = fine
3D screens requiring glasses = eeehhhh maybe
movement + screens = mostly okay
movement + 3D screens requiring glasses = puke city

I tolerate Philharmagic and the Muppets 3D show because I like sitting down for ten minutes in the AC. Star Tours is a NEVER AGAIN ride.

On our first trip I avoided FoP and Soarin' because I was worried they would trigger my motion sickness. I did go on Mission Space: Green. I felt fine the entire time until the end, when it started getting bumpy and we were bouncing around. I was mildly sick and was happy that it was a short part to the ride.

My question is- I wonder if I am fine on "simulator" type rides if they are smooth? Would FoP and Soarin' be an option for me in the future, or should I continue to avoid?

I have motion sick kids and I get motion sick - we tolerate Soarin’ just fine. Will tell you in June how we do with Fop.

My husband suffers from vertigo and has had some horrible flare ups and experiences with motion sickness. He avoids elevators, any rides that go upside down, in circles or the dropping motion like Tower of Terror. He also tried the mild Mission space once and didn’t like that. He also doesn’t like rides that are completely dark with flashing lights like Space Mountain.

But he is able to go on Soarin and Flight of Passage with no problems at all. He’s even been able to ride all of the simulator rides at Universal. Mummy was the only one that he said he won’t ride again. So I’m not sure what it is exactly that gets triggered in him?

On our first trip I avoided FoP and Soarin' because I was worried they would trigger my motion sickness. I did go on Mission Space: Green. I felt fine the entire time until the end, when it started getting bumpy and we were bouncing around. I was mildly sick and was happy that it was a short part to the ride.

My question is- I wonder if I am fine on "simulator" type rides if they are smooth? Would FoP and Soarin' be an option for me in the future, or should I continue to avoid?
Soarin and FOP were fine but my wife felt nauseous after the Orange side of mission space. Won’t do that one again

I did MS Orange shortly after it opened. There was no Green then. It killed an entire day for me. I cannot do spinning. Absolutely not. And, btw, I was totally fine during the ride. It was after that was the killer. I was dizzy for several hours. Had to go back to the resort. I was staying at AKL at the time, savannah view, so it wasn't like it was a punishment!

I'm totally fine on both Soarin' and FoP. My DH, however, can't take FoP. I believe his difficulty on the ride has to do with his progressive lenses, although he's not sure. After FoP, he had a bit of trouble on Soarin', which he'd never had a difficult time on before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter